Ultima Ratio Regum, Scene II

   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivere View Post
"Lauren snapped her notebook shut and pulled out two sheets of paper. On one was a sketch of the demonic sigil from Mack's dream, on the other was a new one. "These were both seen at the murder scenes that Lake is suspected to have been involved in."
Erin snapped a picture of the second sigil on her phone, then sent it off to Rakesh. "Miss Chan seems to have done far more research on the topic then ourselves," she noted, casually. "We found the owner of the other sigil. The Dweller Behind the Night. The scene they announced at Elysium described was some manner of sacrifice to him, perhaps."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivere View Post
"Oh, and Rebecca didn't know what his real name is. So... still nothing there."
"I heard him called Jacob Wright once, in a dream," Erin mostly lied. "No reason to think that name is his, more than any other."

Dice Roll: 7d10s8e
d10 Results: 7, 2, 9, 5, 9, 3, 9 (Total Successes = 3)
liez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoTiamat View Post
"So. Who here knows anything about the Brood?" Cynthia did not so much sit into one of Erin's booths as she lounged. "They're a kind of underground covenant that embraces demon-worship and submission to the Beast... and London had an outburst of activity from them back when I was Embraced, in the fifties." The same time as Mary Mack's Embrace, one recalled.
Erin simply shook her head, interested in what Cynthia had to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivere View Post
Lauren grimaced. "That's Othello, probably. Alright, I'm going..."
"Is it now," Erin replied, rather dryly. "I feel like several of us would like to speak to him."

Underwood listened attentively to Lauren's summation, typing away internally as he did so. That Chan character bore watching, even more so than before her durance. Thorough, connected, and newly aligned with New Jerusalem: it was a potent combination.

"You'd be the expert as far as the Brood's concerned, Cynthia…not really my department. Oh--" He snapped his fingers once or twice, trying to remember something. "--We're talking about a line of demonic evidence stretching back through the '40's; '50's, right? That Perish character, Darrow, the one wrapped up with the King affair…wasn't he operating back then? Connected, too, in that line? Another lead we could run down, if hands-on research turns up nothing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Lamothe
"Is it now. I feel like several of us would like to speak to him."
"You feel correctly," Underwood added, drily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
"I heard him called Jacob Wright once, in a dream," Erin mostly lied. "No reason to think that name is his, more than any other."
Lauren frowned. Then why mention it? "It's better than no name at all. Have you tried looking it up?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwood
"--We're talking about a line of demonic evidence stretching back through the '40's; '50's, right? That Perish character, Darrow, the one wrapped up with the King affair…wasn't he operating back then? Connected, too, in that line? Another lead we could run down, if hands-on research turns up nothing."
"Oh! Right. Well, I don't think there's any harm in giving him a call," she suggested. As much as Lauren would have liked to speak to Perish herself (she him and his friends)... she couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
"Is it now. I feel like several of us would like to speak to him."
Lauren shrugged and glanced back over her shoulder. "Be my guest." She wasn't particularly eager to be stuck in a car alone with Miss Bell, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivere View Post
Lauren frowned. Then why mention it? "It's better than no name at all. Have you tried looking it up?"
"Not yet," Erin replied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivere View Post
"Oh! Right. Well, I don't think there's any harm in giving him a call," she suggested. As much as Lauren would have liked to speak to Perish herself (she him and his friends)... she couldn't.
"Ah! Well... do they have a phone? I don't believe I have the number," Erin said, after a moment's recollection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivere View Post
Lauren shrugged and glanced back over her shoulder. "Be my guest." She wasn't particularly eager to be stuck in a car alone with Miss Bell, anyway.
"Thank you. However, I do believe the issue is Othello will not feel likewise. I don't suppose we feel a bit of cloak and dagger would be worth the trouble? I could pose as you, Miss Darrow, and everyone else could hide with you in the car. Depending on the size of the car. I have no way to do anything about my reflection, or shadow, but if it's dark by the time we reach him he will not notice."

Erin glanced at Underwood, who in theory could have posed as Lauren as well, but was kind enough not to mention it.

Underwood glanced at Erin, and very much appreciated that she was kind enough not to mention it. He patted his knees decisively. "I'm game. Provided we can all squeeze in there before you close the door, Darrow, you can do that stealth jobbie you do and loop me in. That works, right?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
"Ah! Well... do they have a phone? I don't believe I have the number,"
"Yeah, I have a number for Perish." Lauren pulled up his contact on her phone, and tossed it at Underwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
"Thank you. However, I do believe the issue is Othello will not feel likewise. I don't suppose we feel a bit of cloak and dagger would be worth the trouble? I could pose as you, Miss Darrow, and everyone else could hide with you in the car. Depending on the size of the car. I have no way to do anything about my reflection, or shadow, but if it's dark by the time we reach him he will not notice."
Lauren frowned. "Well," she said after a moment, "I guess it could work? You'd have to open and close the doors so we could get in, yes. Though... I don't know what he wants me for, exactly. If it's something you can't do, he'll probably catch you." She shrugged. "Actually, if you're going to ask him things I wouldn't, then he's probably going to catch you anyway."

Erin, Lauren, Underwood, Cynthia, Mary

"Do you want me to come?" Mary said quietly, looking from Lauren to Erin and back. Othello had spoken to her, and said it would be alright. Did she really want to be a part of this? She'd have to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwood
"You'd be the expert as far as the Brood's concerned, Cynthia…not really my department. Oh--"
Cynthia quirked her head as the arrival of Miss Bell and the possibility of someone named Perish having relevant information interrupted her account. In any case she took a breath. "I spoke to Father Giles, who owes me a few favors and was active at the time as well. There was a covey of Brood members operating almost openly in London back in the fifties, did some spree-killing and the like, demonic sacrifices. They were broken up after a few years, but at least two members of the covey managed to get out un-staked, a shadow named Armand and a savage named Locke -- and Locke was reported to have one bright blue eye."

"Niall was one of the Hounds who brought them down, and Sheridan was High Sheriff at the time." Cynthia added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia
"I spoke to Father Giles, who owes me a few favors and was active at the time as well. There was a covey of Brood members operating almost openly in London back in the fifties, did some spree-killing and the like, demonic sacrifices. They were broken up after a few years, but at least two members of the covey managed to get out un-staked, a shadow named Armand and a savage named Locke -- and Locke was reported to have one bright blue eye."
"Locke... another name for him. That's good, now we have two to look into," Lauren said, pleased. "Do you know anything else about either Locke or Armand?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia
"Niall was one of the Hounds who brought them down, and Sheridan was High Sheriff at the time."
"Then... I wonder if they knew, when the letter was read..." Lauren frowned. She could go ask Sheridan... but Sheridan was fairly good at lying to Lauren's face if she needed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoTiamat View Post
"Niall was one of the Hounds who brought them down, and Sheridan was High Sheriff at the time." Cynthia added.
"Ha. That liar. Begum Rajani mentioned the name 'Jason Locke' right in front of him, and he claimed not to know it. They all fought in the Great Rebellion in India, it seems," Erin noted. She seemed mildly amused. "He was very quick to start prowling about when I simply mentioned Winslow Lake's name, as well. Odd, wouldn't you say, if he had no reason to be suspicious?"

"Do you want to come, Mary?" Erin asked, seriously. "We... how large is this car, precisely?"

Underwood had been dialing a rather long international number on Sparky in the interim. Presuming he was put through:

"Hello, Mr. Villeneuve? Jack Thomas Underwood, here -- you know, from the King affair? Yeah! I know, long time no talk to. Listen, Mr. Villeneuve, much as I'd like to catch up, I'm on the clock right now: got a cold case in London that me and Darrow are running down, from when Perish was on the beat. Some of his angle on it, too. Is the guy around? I dunno if he knew we were going to call, or what…"

With Perish, this was not unreasonable to presume. Regardless, Underwood put Sparky on speaker, and, if the retired London detective was indeed in evidence, gave an abbreviated summary of the relevant cases that had happened during his tenure (glossing over Mack's specific involvement). Had he been involved at all, and regardless, did he have any insight on the demonic angle?





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status       Advertise with us