GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Middle Eastern Type Medieval-ish World

Google is still your friend.

It won't ever betray you.

Ever... D:

lol I thought it was. He told you Google is your friend and you still asked for a link
I think a lot of people around here, myself ESPECIALLY, need to start searching before we ask. I'm not having a dig at you either, I just noticed the tendency of certain people, like me, to hand someone a link to something when they ask for it, instead of explaining how this whole internet thing works. See this thread to see what I mean.

Seek and you shall find!

Quote:
Heck, the only civilized people (meaning they've developed a code of etiquette that they've defined) might be the kings themselves. It all really depends.
I was not talking about etiquette, but rather about the (for lack of a better definition) "climate" of the middle east. These are just warmer people, and in my opinion this has little to do with being civilized or not. Even in Israel, a practically European state, where half the people are the children of European immigrants, this "warm climate" is prevalent. It may be due to cultural difference, and not geographic, but either way it runs deep here.

Wow, this stuff is harder to explain than I expected
In my experience if you employ a different culture in your campaign (I attempt multiple) it adds great depth to the campaign. Makes it feel real... =Main reason I am giving my time to this. A world with one better campaign is a better world

like@Xavien. At home, when I ask anyone about anything, the answer is always "Google it!" It used to drive my crazy when I was a kid

Quote:
I was not talking about etiquette, but rather about the (for lack of a better definition) "climate" of the middle east. These are just warmer people, and in my opinion this has little to do with being civilized or not. Even in Israel, a practically European state, where half the people are the children of European immigrants, this "warm climate" is prevalent. It may be due to cultural difference, and not geographic, but either way it runs deep here.
You mean, like, they speak louder? I've noticed russians tend to do that. That still sounds like a form of etiquette or social ritual to me. Unless your definition of etiquette is different from mine. xD

But yeah, there's a definite contrast between east and west (even among genders, I think - or maybe that's just india and east asia). Though, I dunno. I don't really observe cultures that well - I just kinda know the trends, and stuff and then say 'yeah it would sorta make sense that they did this at this point in history and now behave this way (like how mongolia united Russia from its principalities in the 13th century)', but other than that, I'm mostly clueless.

Quote:
like@Xavien. At home, when I ask anyone about anything, the answer is always "Google it!" It used to drive my crazy when I was a kid
Icechat is the keyword. There's probably a free download on the first page. I'll even check for you.

Maybe, it's the list of links that confuses - but the download page is right at the top. -_-

Can we move on, now?

Yeah, a server and channel would be helpful.
No, I did not mean louder speech. I was specifically not referring to any kind of "social ritual". Bluntly put, what I was trying to say is that in the eyes of Middle-Eastern people, Westerners would seem to have no soul (I exaggerate). If in the West it is normal for someone to have one to three "best friends" in the Middle-East they have triple that. You know all your neighbors well, etc. This is neither good nor bad. People here are just more socially active, mainly as a result of them being more free with their emotions (not open, free). This leads to more healthy relationships, and also to different homicide background statistics (just one example). As a result of this, "warmer" social rituals are also prevalent (such as coming in to a friend's house without invitation), but that is besides the point. People here are warm blooded. For example, the reason I am writing like this is because I am irritated in general. I am not attempting to take this out on you, as it is not your fault, but neither am I attempting to subdue my irritation, nor to lie (the latter is a result of my own predisposition to truthfulness, not a necessarily M.E. trait). While in the West this may be perceived as tactless jackassery (actually, I edited most of the jackassery out, but you get my drift), in the Middle-East it is much more acceptable. As in: "Well, people are just pissed like that sometimes".
On the other hand, Arabs may be inclined to obscure their irritation at times (not subdue it), as a result of the very political aspects of Arab society. They would still express their irritation in some way, just not explicitly, as opposed to the Westerner who would just feel less of it.
To be clear, irritation is but one example of many possible emotions, and I am using a vastly stereotypical model to explain all of this.
As for gender, there is actually almost no contrast. in this aspect, the medieval M.E. was the same as medieval Europe.

Quote:
(not open, free)
Free emotions? So they'll shout 'how's it going!' instead of 'I nearly pooped my pants earlier.'

No, I get it. They don't really keep things away from the ears of children and they're kinda 'free' about stuff. They might randomly say 'my life is terrible right now' right? And then someone else says 'life is good, don't worry' and just sorta casually shout this. :P

Meanwhile, a westerner would say nothing and might be like 'I'm fine, how was your day?' (or at least, that's the british way, which survived and went on to America and Canada (over 1/3 of which is english; no, we're not as french as everyone thinks), where I live; I dunno anything about France, or Spain or Poland, or Germany, or Russia, or Italy, or Ukraine - the other seven base european white ethnics). And no, we have souls, I promise.
----

Still thinking about what else to write here...

What do you think of the perks?

Exactly. They might keep things a secret for all sorts of reasons (=not being open), but when a sufficient reason is not present, they do not suppress their feelings just for the heck of it (they actually do, just much less).
The Poison Immune perk reminds me of Vizzini from The Princess Bride Great movie.
I like the perks and the classes, though I do not get what the Desert Sender is about.
Other than that, I suggest also doing a variation on the Barbarian. Less Teutonic terror, more Bedouin wisdom (perhaps replacing Battle Rage?). Or maybe there could be Bedouin Desert Rangers? I have just heard some war stories about Bedouin soldiers that would chill you to the bone. They notice things that everyone else misses. I do not know if this is playable, but hey, I am just pitching. You are the mastermind

Quote:
I do not get what the Desert Sender is about.
I dunno either. I just thought it'd be cool to have something dune-ish. Sandworm commander? A guy that rides war elephants? Snake charmer? :P

Sorta all those things combined. Probably will just be a druid or ranger variant.

Oh yeah, that's as far as I'd take magic.

Quote:
Or maybe there could be Bedouin Desert Rangers? I have just heard some war stories about Bedouin soldiers that would chill you to the bone. They notice things that everyone else misses. I do not know if this is playable, but hey, I am just pitching. You are the mastermind
Ah... I know nothing about the bedouins (I barely know about the teutons, excepting AoE2). :/

I hope you can see, I'm gonna need a lot of research before the world gets fully fleshed out. Mostly worried about detailing towns rather than greater threats right now.

Most of the baddies for any starting campaign will probably just be like random horrors, desert bandits, cults, the odd raider from the steppes or other far lands, etc.

Considering the eastern theme, most such games begin with players playing the role of travelers of far lands, usually having arrived at a town. It's easier that way to explain away things like cultural divide and the fact that hardly anyone in a town may help a PC if he's injured, ie. (until he makes them happy with a sidequest, heh). Regarding NPC hospitality - sure, they might invite him into their home, but chances are that they won't treat his wounds properly, etc.

Quote:
(perhaps replacing Battle Rage?)
Maybe they can set traps better? I suppose they could also fill the roll of the animal tamers of this game - they haven't got as many weapon proficiencies, so they would otherwise find a lot of situations where they feel useless without the right pet; it's easier to have a character that smashes enemies to a pulp as well as tames animals, then simply 'smashes enemies to a pulp'. :P

The 'notice things that others miss' already applies to the dwarf and elf races, so it's not too hard to modify. That doesn't need to be an underlying theme though, I don't think (no offense). They could also be navigators - but I dunno if that's necessary. A survival game where players can only navigate the desert by night would be cool (night time is when they chart and plan a course of travel, set watch and then sleep; and in the morning, they don armor and set out again; in the hopes that there's no sand storm or the water runs out or a blue dragon doesn't sprout up from the ground, because blue dragons can swim underneath sands in this world).

I suppose players could be a part of castle sieges as well (there were plenty of middle eastern castles).

Various enemies include the teutonic horror of old country (I suppose it'd be hard to get away from the crusader theme; these guys are by no means unstoppable - they just wear heavy armor, technology that's superior in certain ways to that of sands, and the sands tend to have tech that's superior in other ways - and the teutons (needs another name, obviously) tend to be well prepared), and there's also the vikings and steppe peoples.

There's also free imperial cities that are feeling uppity and their local emperor (shah?) wants to declare war and raid some town or other.

How about a druid with power over outsiders instead of animals? A Jinn Whisperer, or the like? That could be desert themed, and it would also be a bit different from the base classes.
About the Bedouins, trap-layer/navigator sounds pretty cool, though I do not think they would be animal tamers.
I would say either shah (Persian), sultan (pronounced sooltawn, ruler in Arabic), Malik (king in Arabic). Remind me of the Arabian nights:
كان وكان واحد سلطان (This sentence was made without an Arabic keyboard! I feel cool.)
It's "Teutonic Terror", by the way