Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD3.5e: An Argument that Dragon Compendium is not " Dragon Magazine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaBear View Post
I think Vow of Poverty is from BoED, too, and it's
In other words, it's a rule in a game played by humans
highly abusable unless the DM is vigilant.
As with the psionic classes, VoP becomes impressively overpowered if its rules are utterly ignored, which is to say that it is not overpowered.

Lets return to the point of If you allow all WOTC books, should Dragon Compedium be allowed, as it is " Official Third party", that one could possibly be.

*Shrugs* I allow it. But I don't inherently have anything wrong with dragon mag. The only reason I don't allow the mag in my games is because I don't have them, and I don't want to have to hunt down every oddball rule somebody might want to use.

If you don't have the book just require for the player to bring you his copy (to check) or print out the relevant pages.

I play online. There is no "bring me the book."

The equivalent practice in an electronic medium is to scan, copy, or otherwise separate the relevent section from the rest of the source material, and deliver that to the GM by means of email attachment or similar function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
The equivalent practice in an electronic medium is to scan, copy, or otherwise separate the relevent section from the rest of the source material, and deliver that to the GM by means of email attachment or similar function.
When I run a game, I tend to keep it pared down to books I'm most familiar with, with the addendum, "Anything from any other book you want to use, ask me first." This includes showing me where to find the feature/rule/etc, even if it's in dragon magazine.

But as a general rule, I don't just let people grab stuff from dragon mag willy-nilly, because I don't want to go hunting for whatever they've cherry picked from one of the dozens of magazine issues.

Huh. When I'm creating a character in a system with that much potential rules sources, I generally try to cite the sources that I'm drawing from. It's just polite, not to mention saving work for me later when I need to look something up.

You'd be surprised. Hell, as a player, I didn't even start writing down my sources until a few months ago. It just didn't really occur to me until I went back to look at some of my old character sheets and realized that there were feats and stuff that I had no clue where to find them.

I always included that crunch in my player notes section (at least) for quick reference, but I guess I was abnormal to do so. When I was DM, though, I required my players to include the crunch for anything that wasn't SRD.