Notices

Middle Earth really let itself go...

Old Sep 29 '12, 2:10pm
Department Head, TOAST R&D

Middle Earth really let itself go...

PostApocalyptic Fantasy - Forum
GURPS - Fantasy
Estimated Members Requested: 6

PCs will be a party of adventurers recruited by the High Council. Can I please have at least three players this time? Please?

Will posting a picture of a kitten help? A baby seal maybe?

Anyway, point total is 150 (disadv. limit 50), and we'll be running with the Basic Set, GURPS Magic, and Mass Combat if the need arises. No Low-Tech, sorry.

I think part of the reason I get so little participation in these games is that few people know GURPS. Well, the cool thing about GURPS is, you can download a super-condensed version of the rules here (just add it to your cart and checkout as if you were going to buy something, the site will notice you're only buying free things and not ask you for payment info). You'll need my help actually creating a character, but I'm more than willing to provide.

Anyway, post-apocalyptic generic fantasy. You'll be on a task to investigate rumors that the insane wizard (of the coast) Glyiglax is still alive, and trying to finish the job.

GM BIO:

Hi, I'm Schilcote. I've had a recent rash of games failing or even just being stillborn, but before then I was a pretty dependable GM. You can usually count on me for at least a turn a day, though sometimes things interfere with that. I'm also somewhat funny, and awfully creative when the need arises. Go ahead, don't be shy, sign up! You'll be glad you did.

Game Description:

Entlaria was... well, it was your basic generic Middle Earth rip off.

Then the evil wizard Glyiglax ruined everything.

The elves were almost entirely wiped out, leaving barely enough population for the species to sustain itself. The dwarves shut themselves up in their mountainhomes, never to be heard from again except for the occasional outcast.

And man... man survived.

Campaign Stats:

TL: 2 (Iron Age: 600 BC)
Starting Wealth: $750
Available Points: 150
Genre: Generic Fantasy/Post-Apocalyptic

Background Info:

25 years ago at the beginning of the game, an insane wizard by the name of Glyiglax cast a spell of ultimate destruction. It caused all non-living food to instantly rot, much of Entlaria's soil to become infertile, and immediately killed much of the world's population (especially elves, who had a natural susceptibility to magic).

The Dwarves, once frequent trading partners of man, were never heard from again, shutting themselves in their underground caves. The elves no longer have the numbers to maintain their population.

But man survived. Tribal communities dot the landscape, subsisting on what little will grow in the magically salted soil. Near the center of the known world, a great human civilization exists- the Endarchy of Phitopia. The Endarchy is run by a central council of four elders, who indirectly control the entire government. Their orders are carried out by concentric rings of increasingly less powerful and more specific government employees. An order to increase the price of bread may come from the High Council, then be passed to the under-councillors, then passed to the eight regional leaders, then passed to each police barracks in each region, and finally to the bakers, by means of the police.

The High Council has been known to seek out daring adventurers for important, dangerous tasks.

Character Templates can be found in this handy-dandy .RTF:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?r2d9024vfuf2jwn

Last edited by Schilcote; Sep 30 '12 at 2:46pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
How does the agricultural deficiency affect relative cost of ingredients for alchemy versus herb lore?
STOP ASKING HARD QUESTIONS (kidding, it actually helps a lot).

I assume it would make them skyrocket- rare herbs might simply not be available, you'd have to raid an ancient wizard's tower or something to get them.

I'm still digesting the GURPS rules and coming up with a core concept. At first I was thinking a human with power over plants who would annoy elves by treating plants as mere tools, but I'm not so sure. Maybe someone with a form of beast magic or animal control. Or maybe someone with a sinister (?) animated shadow that has its own agenda. Or maybe an awakened slumberer from the Time Before who's bewildered by the changes and far less powerful than when he was entranced (which makes the whole purpose of his slumber relatively moot since he can't fulfill prophecy the way he had been intended). Or maybe a scarecrow made from blighted wood, the twisted magic of which animates him and grants him sentience.

Annoying elves is always cool.

Blighted wood scarecrow is a very metal idea, though. Blighted Wood Scarecrow is also a good name for a band. I like it.

I think I'll actually go with the scarecrow notion, if I can make it work interestingly. I'm not in the mood to play a naive character right now, though, so I'll figure out some rationale for his lack of general ignorance. He'll still be uninformed about largely historical matters, just not common sense stuff.

I'll also probably pass on the bit where he addresses his companions as "Meatbag." Probably.

Yeah, make him a sort of snarky deadpanner straight-man. 'Cept made of wood.

Reduced status maybe, but no social stigma. The general idea of the Endarchy is "humans are humans", they don't paticuarly care where you came from as long as you follow the rules.

So what about theology of the various groups? Obviously magic exists, but what organized (or un-organized) sorts of religious groups exist?

The Endarchy are a mix, and their government is secular.

Probably the most common religion is one not dissimilar to Christianity, in that it's monotheistic, doesn't name its deity, and said deity is supposedly a rather pleasant fellow. Much less complex though, no official written holy book.