The Rod of Seven Parts

Old Oct 1 '12, 3:43am
[insert witticism here]

The Rod of Seven Parts

The Rod of Seven Parts - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) and clones - Forgotten Realms
Ad Closes: Oct 14 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Come one, come all! An campaign of epic proportions, with the ultimate goal of finding the most fabled of all artifacts - the Rod of Seven Parts - is now accepting applications for would-be cannon fodder orc-bait battlefield paint adventurers!

Yes, this campaign will eventually culminate with the grand campaign the Rod of Seven Parts, but it will not start there. The Forgotten Realms are large, and adventure and wonder can strike anyone at any time from anywhere. Even right there behind you!

Seriously though, applications are being accepted for a group to start low and aim high. Seems simple enough: start at 1st level, travel throughout the Realms, battle evil, solve mysteries, make a name for yourself, get noticed by the gods, find a legendary artifact, kill a legendary foe...well, let's just start with 1st level, travel, and trying to battle evil, shall we?

Applications for characters are to be placed in THIS FOLDER.
All the applicable rules for the campaign, to include character creation, can be found in THIS FOLDER.

Applications will be accepted until the end of the day (11:59 PM PDT) on October 13, 2012, with the selected party being notified no later than the end of the day (11:59 PM PDT) October 15, 2012.

So please - if you are interested, apply. Who knows - you may get lucky enough to be the one who holds the completed Rod at some point in your career...

Game Description:

In a time long ago, war raged across the cosmos between the force of Law and Chaos. Though the armies of the Queen of Chaos won most of the battles, they were forced to withdraw after their great general, Miska the Wolf Spider, was defeated and imprisoned by the Wind Dukes of Aaqa. The Wind Dukes created the Rod of Seven Parts to slay Miska. Unfortunately, the artifact merely wounded him and was itself shattered in the process. In the centuries since the final battle, the queen has scoured the multiverse, looking for the Rod. If reassembled, the Rod could slay Miska, but it also holds the key to healing his wound and releasing him from his eternal imprisonment.

Champion, Myth-Weavers 2013 Fantasy Football League
ok but when i was asking about dual-classing was not trying to do it at 1st level. Plus in the book it does say you have to be 2nd level you just increased it to 3rd. I was going to look at trying to dual into psionic but did have a 2nd 17. anyways thanks for reply

REMINDER:

You still have 1 week to get those apps in to be considered for this campaign. There are several people who started to create a character but haven't finished, and I just wanted to remind everyone who wants to try to get in on this to please finish your characters!

All characters that are finished by the end of the day next Saturday (October 13) will be considered. If your character is not finished....well, you can guess what pile he goes into.

Anyhow, don't miss out on your chance to join this game at the bottom! Time is running out, space is limited!

Still several days to go in the event anybody is interested.

There are also several characters started but have not been completed. If you are still interested and want to be considered, please finish the characters by this Saturday. Not finishing = not considered.

so long to wait :P how many completed apps do you have?

At last check...6. And I'm selecting 5 players, so it's gonna be real close if nobody else finishes.

Ok, so we've got several completed applications, and things are looking ok. Everyone has until Saturday to get a completed character in for consideration. But that's not the entire point of this bump.

I NEED SPELL CASTER APPLICATIONS. Currently, we have a single spell caster application, and it's for a Mage/Priest. That's right - not an ordinary Mage, not an ordinary Priest, but a multi-classed Mage/Priest. And I'd really like to get at least one more spell caster application.

It has been brought to my attention that my house rules regarding spellcasters needs to be thrown out here with this bump because people shy away from spellcasters due to the RAW. Well, I ask that you take a look at the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Rules
  1. 2.1 Magic-Users
    1. 2.1.1 Schools of Magic
      All mages must specialize in a school of magic. There are no such things as non-specialized mages in this world. All mages train/study under another mage as an apprentice, and therefore inherently are taught what that mage knows. This has continued from generation to generation, and therefore all mages are specialty mages.

Some spells will cross multiple schools, and in some rare cases the mage will have access to a spell in his/her school that is also in an opposition school. In these rare cases, the spell is considered to be in the mage’s chosen school, and is allowable for the mage.
    2. 2.1.2 Starting Spells
      All 1st level mages start out with 10 spells in their spell books. These are:
      • 1 spell from the chosen school
      • Read Magic
      • Detect Magic
      • 7 spells randomly determined from all available schools of magic

All spells that the character starts with are considered to be learned/known spells, and no rolls need to be made to determine if the character learns the spell or not.
    3. 2.1.3 Read/Detect Magic
      These 2 spells function in a way unique to the mage, and these functions need a section of their own to explain this. These 2 spells, for the purposes of schools of magic, belong to all schools and no schools at the same time.

Read Magic
      Read Magic is not just a spell, it is also a skill. All mages must know how to read magic or they cannot be mages. How would you be able to memorize spells if you cannot read your own magical writings?
      • All mages are able to read any magical writings that they produce, whether through handwriting or spell casting without needing to cast the spell or make any types of checks.
      • All mages are able to read magic from that is from their chosen school that is written by a mage who is of equal or lesser level by making a successful intelligence check.
      • Any magic that is from an allowed school (not in opposition), no matter what level of mage wrote it, or from the mage’s own school that is of higher level, cannot be read unless Read Magic is cast.
      • Magic from any opposition school, as well as any priest scrolls, cannot be read even with a Read Magic spell.

Detect Magic
      Detect Magic is a basic spell that all mages must know in order to study magic. You must first be able to tell what is magical before you are able to determine what type of magic is being used.

Detect Magic will indicate the potential school of magic when used on items created by a mage, but it won’t outright state the school. The player will need to become familiar with certain markers that indicate what school of magic the item was created from. As the GM, I will inform the player what markers are being indicated, and the player will need to use these clues to determine what school of magic this is.

Detect Magic on any items created through the use of priestly magic will only radiate that they are magical in nature. They will never show any markers from schools of magic, and the mage will know (through casting this spell) that the item is priestly in nature.

Detect Magic only allows the mage using the spell to know if the item is magical in nature – the blue glow indicated in the spell description is seeable only to the mage casting the spell.
    4. 2.1.4 Gaining New Spells
      When a mage reaches a level where he/she gains the ability to cast a new level of spells (for example, a mage reaches 3rd level and can now cast 2nd level spells), the mage automatically receives 1 new spell in his/her spell book from his/her chosen school of magic. This is due to the time spent memorizing lost spells, jotting down notes, and trial and error that (it is assumed) takes place during “down time” on adventures (traveling, watches, etc.). No intelligence check is necessary to determine if the spell is known, but the spell received is randomly determined.

Any spells that the mage comes across in the course of play, either through acquiring another mage’s spell books or scrolls, must be checked to determine if the mage learns the spell. Consult the Intelligence table to determine the percent chance to learn the spell. If the check succeeds, the spell is copied to the mage’s spell book. If the check fails, the mage does not learn that spell and cannot try again until he/she reaches a new level.

Spells from opposition schools, as well as the priestly version of spells, may never be learned or copied into the mage’s spell books.
    5. 2.1.5 Non-Weapon Proficiencies
      While not a requirement, it is highly encouraged that all mages take the Spellcasting Non-Weapon Proficiency. This allows the mage to make educated guesses about spells being cast against them, as well as being almost necessary to be a mage. Please see the details of this Non-Weapon Proficiency for more information.

Mages are also generally going to have a high number of Non-Weapon Proficiencies due to having a high intelligence. This is completely normal. Mages will always think they know everything, and in a lot of cases (especially with bonus proficiencies and kit enhancements) this is very well true.
  2. 2.2 Priests
    For the purposes of the game, all Druids are considered to be priests, and therefore must follow all of the same rules as priests.
    1. 2.2.1 Spheres of Influence
      As with mages, all priests must worship a deity. The deities used in my campaign world come from 2 sources: Legends & Lore, and the Forgotten Realms Faiths and Pantheons rule books. The specific information about what spheres are allowed is in the description for each deity.

Priests will have either major or minor access to spheres. Major access to a sphere allows the priest the ability to (eventually) cast all spells from that sphere. Minor access to a sphere allows the priest the ability to (eventually) cast up to 3rd level spells from that spell.

Some spells for priests can cross multiple spheres of influence. Should a priest have major access to one sphere and minor access to another, but a spell crosses both of these spheres, the priest has major access to the spell.
    2. 2.2.2 Read/Detect Magic
      These 2 spells function in a way unique to the priest, and these functions need a section of their own to explain this. However, unlike the mage versions of these spells, the priest must have access to the requisite sphere in order to have access to these spells.

Read Magic
      Read Magic is just a spell, and is not an inherent skill. Not all priests have the ability to cast the Read Magic spell, and therefore some priests with access to this spell are highly sought after.

In order to read any priestly magical writings, the priest must use the Read Magic spell. Without the aid of this spell, the priest may as well just be looking at a blank sheet of paper.

This spell can only be used to read priest magic, and may never be used to read magic scribed by a mage. There are no limitations on what spheres can be read, although the priest may not be able to use the information that is being read.

Detect Magic
      Detect magic functions a lot like the mage version, with the exception that the priest will know nothing of schools of magic but will indicate spheres of influence.

Detect Magic will indicate the potential sphere of influence when used on items created by a priest, but it won’t outright state the sphere. The player will need to become familiar with certain markers that indicate what sphere of influence the item was created from. As the GM, I will inform the player what markers are being indicated, and the player will need to use these clues to determine what sphere of influence this is.

Detect Magic on any items created through the use of wizardly magic will only radiate that they are magical in nature. They will never show any markers from spheres of influence, and the priest will know (through casting this spell) that the item is wizardly in nature.

Detect Magic only allows the priest using the spell to know if the item is magical in nature – the blue glow indicated in the spell description is seeable only to the priest casting the spell.
    3. 2.2.3 Gaining New Spells
      Unlike mages, when a priest advances in level he/she automatically gains access to the new spells in any sphere he/she has access to. The priest will, however, need to spend time praying for these new spells before being able to cast them.
    4. 2.2.4 Non-Weapon Proficiencies
      While not a requirement, it is highly encouraged that all priests take the Spellcasting Non-Weapon Proficiency. This allows the priest to make educated guesses about spells being cast against them. Please see the details of this Non-Weapon Proficiency for more information

if i had one more point of con would have gone bladesinger, but alas the dice gods just didnt give me what i needed

In your post i dont see the most important change, where they can cast a spell then spend 15 min per level of spell to memorize another spell with only limit the number of spells at one time memorized.

Means they could cast magic missile, then spend 15 to memorize it again, then cast it again and continue to do that all day as long as he has the time. Correct me if i am wrong Scarecrow

I will be applying with a mage today/tomorrow. It just took me a bit to look through the house rules and digest it all.

Turns out I have my character finished barring any changes ScareCrow thinks I should make.

Ok, only 1 day left to get a character submission in for consideration. As of right now, there are 5 completed characters, 2 characters that I've sent back to the players for review, and 6 characters not close to being completed yet.

If you want to get in on this campaign, please get those character finished by the end of the day tomorrow. I know there are old-timers out there who want a piece of this action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathgon View Post
well with 18 16 13 15 15 15 i think i can pull it off mate though i would have to be a Wild Elf so i dont lose con(think they get to keep con, one of the sub races do)

I remember there was a kit from myth dranor that allowed you to play a wizard that specialized in opposition schools. He could only cast those two schools, had to look around for it but miight try that.

So as a multi-classed wizard you say i have to choose another opposition school, i can choose any one to add?

With you forcing wizards to specialize i assume you have dropped the racial requirements then?
according to the rules Mulit classed wizards cannot specialize in any school.