Forge of Fury

Old Oct 4 '12, 1:09am
Elder Dragon

Forge of Fury

Forge of Fury - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Ad Closes: Oct 10 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 5

The legend of Durgeddin the Black is well known in this region. In each of the small, scattered towns you've passed through, you've heard stories of wondrous treasure hidden in long-lost dwarven vaults and a pitiless war of vengeance between dwarf and orc a hundred years past.

Durgeddin was a master smith who forged blades of surpassing quality and power. Centuries ago, Durgeddin's home was sacked by orcs. Dureddin led the remnants of his clan to a new stronghold in the mountains north of the town of Blasingdell and established a small secret stronghold somewhere in the trackless wilderness.

From his hidden redoubt, he waged a decades-long vendetta against all orc-kind, until one day his enemies discovered his fortress and attacked it. Durgeddin and his followers perished, and much wealth was carried away by the conquering hordes. But it's said that the deepest and best-hidden vaults and armories escaped the looting, and that some of Durgeddin's extraordinary blades still wait in the darkness for a hand bold enough to claim one.

You've come to Blasingdell, a small mining town on the northern frontier, to see if there's anything to these stories. Maps you've seen show that the old dwarf-hold lies about three days' march to the north of the town. Dark, deeply forested hills rise beyond the town's outskirts.

Character Creation
-All characters will start out at 3rd level and have 2700gp to spend on starting equipment.
-36 Point Buy for stats
-Hp will be max for 1st level and rolled for the others, rounding up to the average number if less than half. (example, on a D10, any roll from 1-5 is actually a 5.) If there are questions regarding this, just ask.
-Alignment can be anything non-evil.
-I will accept any basic race and class combination from the PHB, Oriental Adventures, any of the 3.0 class handbooks, and a few other materials. I am open minded to many character types so just shoot them my way. No psionics.
-All applications need to have a link to a completed character sheet and a physical description as well as personality and background to be accepted. I will only be accepting 4-5 characters.
-If you need help with character creation or need to run an idea by me, either post in the OOC thread or send me a PM.
-It will also make it easier if at least most of the party has known each other for some time before the quest.
-Also, I would greatly prefer players who are not familiar with this published adventure. I plan to tweak it a bit anyway and give it some of my own flavor in places, but still, I'd like it to be a fresh experience for all involved

Game Description:

What Waits in the Ruined Dwarf Stronghold?

Two hundred years ago, the great dwarf smith Durgeddin the Black built Khundrukar, a hidden stronghold for his war of vengeance against all orckind. For years Durgeddin labored, until the orcs discovered Khundrukar and stormed the citadel, slaying all within. Legends say that Durgeddin's masterful blades and glittering treasures were never found.

Last edited by wezzyfish; Oct 4 '12 at 2:16am..
Quote:
You mention most 3.0 books are OK... are you OK with most of the 3.5 ones too? I'm not sure if you're saying PBH, OA and some 3.0 form the majority of what's allowed, or that they're allowed in addition to 3.5 stuff.

On that note, if you don't like Psionics, how do you feel about Incarnum (Magic of Incarnum), Binding (Tome of Magic) and stuff from Tome of Battle?
Yes I'm ok with 3.5 stuff. I don't have all those books, but the internet is a wonderful tool. Just throw ideas my way and I'll be able to say yay or nay. I'm pretty open to the incarnum and tome books too.

Quote:
1) Since I see none listed, I'm assuming no Flaws or Traits?
Actually, I had already thought about that. I'll allow 1 of either a flaw or a trait but it has to be OK'd. If its a flaw, I want it to actually be a bit of a flaw for your character and I want whatever you choose to add to the roleplaying factor.

Quote:
2) You're okay with all 3.0 material? Does this include either A) The Arms and Equipment Guide (specifically the Full Blade), or Ba) Bastards and Bloodlines (specifically Lost Tradition), or Bb) Dragon Lance Material (looking for Holy Order of the Stars and its Healing Hand of Mishakal prestige class, as well as Legend of the Twins and the Dynamic Priest feat).
I'm fine with Arms and Equipment. I'm not familiar with the others so much, but I'm sure its fine. I do have a sort of hatred for anything dragon lance..... but that's more a personal thing that doesn't have to interfere with the game.

Quote:
Hm... if everything is allowed, I wonder how much overlap there is between Mishakal and Pelor. Maybe the two prestige classes can be combined for double the healing goodness...
Just one prestige class if you please. I'll allow both deities, though Pelor is the more popular in this world. Can pick either you prefer.

Think I might make a Gray Orc Cleric. A bit of an outcast for it's beliefs and chosen life style. If that is acceptable.

Radiant Servant should serve you well... I actually make an uber healer recently... but that was in pathfinders, and I was level 8. So I had the healing domain goodness. I'll be going Fighter/Cleric (Heironeous)/War Priest/ORDAINED CHAMPION of Heironeous.

Seems like a good idea at the moment. A Neutral Good Gray Orc cleric... of a good deity.

and also, I would perhaps wait on interweaving your backgrounds too closely in the off chance that one of you gets accepted and the other doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzyfish View Post
and also, I would perhaps wait on interweaving your backgrounds too closely in the off chance that one of you gets accepted and the other doesn't.
I don't know about everyone else, but for Frey, any ties I get with other PCs will be things that can be cut without affecting his backstory. He has not met many people until recently, so taking out a recent meeting planned is simple. That should also keep it easy for anyone who wants to without burdening them if I don't make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzyfish View Post
Yes I'm ok with 3.5 stuff. I don't have all those books, but the internet is a wonderful tool. Just throw ideas my way and I'll be able to say yay or nay. I'm pretty open to the incarnum and tome books too.
Sounds good to me. Since this sounds like a good old dwarven stronghold game I was thinking of some kind of
A variant from Dungeonscape, if you're not familiar with it, which trades a bonus feat for trap smashing-type stuff and slamming enemies into walls for extra damage - I actually think the extra damage is quite generous, but I like the concept
Dungeoncrasher Fighter, a real dungeon-delver kind of adventurer.

I'm open to that variant. The only part of it I'm not a fan of is all that extra damage from bullrushing enemies into a wall. 4d6+twice strength bonus is pretty strong.... but doable.... but then at level 6 getting 8d6+3 times the amount just seems too strong for me. No feat is that cool.

Otherwise the idea is cool, excited to see what you come up with.

Wow, I didn't even read the L6 bit (though it does take up the L6 feat too, and I don't think I would get to L6 Fighter since even if we reach that level I'll probably multiclassout). Personally, as a DM I'd be tempted to halve that (2d6+Str or something) since that would probably be feat-worthy anyway, and you already get all that stuff vs traps and whatnot too. I wouldn't complain if you wanted to do that, I just like the idea of smashing people about and I've been wanting to try a charger of some kind.