Small Men in a Big World - DnD 5e

Why would Dwarves be more adventurous? Perhaps I get the wrong idea from other media, but Halflings are fun-loving, adventurous, etc.

And a stealthy, smart group could be nice for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerim View Post
Why would Dwarves be more adventurous? Perhaps I get the wrong idea from other media, but Halflings are fun-loving, adventurous, etc.

And a stealthy, smart group could be nice for a change.
I say that purely based on The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, which Cyco cited as his inspiration. But you're right, they've certainly been portrayed as more adventurous in D&D's own lore.

And I agree, I think a stealthy, smart group could be a lot of fun. D&D Next already put a premium on being smart (much more dangerous than 4th Ed and probably 3rd Ed too) and all being Halflings is going to require a smart party.

Indeed. I'm probably going with a Stout Halfling Face, if the game get's on the road, with a major in Charisma and a minor in intelligence and Dexterity.

I have a few ideas regarding dwarves but I am leaning more and more towards halflings. I like the idea of making that little adjustment to the racial traits. Will think more on that and alternatives.

Another thing we'll need to make adjustments to is backgrounds. If we're all homebodies, most of the backgrounds don't apply, and that's where we pull our skills from.
Hobbits were the inspiration for halflings. As for being adventurous, the majority of them have a sort of racial homesickness when they are away. A few of them don't have this and instead have a wildly adventurous streak. The adventurous halflings are the ones we hear about so much since they are the ones who have stories to tell.

Indeed, most of the listed backgrounds are not really suitable. May allow players to choose their own concept and three skills. Customs traits would be a possibility though have to make sure they balanced with the examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
Indeed, most of the listed backgrounds are not really suitable. May allow players to choose their own concept and three skills. Customs traits would be a possibility though have to make sure they balanced with the examples.
I think you could get a lot of distance by simply renaming existing traits to more appropriate things. At first look I was a bit concerned about how homogeneous a Halfling party might be, but if you're open to houserulling then I'll definitely be posting an app. As I said, I think D&D Next can be modified pretty easily, so its nothing to be worried about.

Problem ones would be Bounty Hunter, Knight, Soldier, Spy and Thug. Their traits all suggest some sort of recognition that wouldn't fit. A few others could roughly function as stated.

Certainly open to some house ruling, just don't want to go so far as to cause issues when later playtests come out.

I am definitely interested. It would be a nice change to have everyone the same race but all portray different aspects from it. I haven't looked over the material yet but if this gets to that stage I can have a sheet up quickly.