A New Gods for Mankind Game

Old Oct 5 '12, 10:38am
Something...

A New Gods for Mankind Game

New Gods for Old Worlds - Forum
Miscellaneous
Estimated Members Requested: 1

Have you ever wanted to be a God? If so, this game is for you! Take on the mantle of divinity and lead your people through turmoil and darkness, tend to their needs, bless their crops and crush their enemies. Only you can protect your followers.

I am looking either for a Pantheon of up to 5 Gods, or 4-5 individual Gods working in a similar area (or some version of these two, like a Trinity of Gods and then two individual Gods...), so please inform me in your application whether you are willing to have your God as a part of a Pantheon. If you decide to play a Pantheon, please feel free to create together.

Applications are to be made here, please create your own thread with the name of your God as the title. For the moment all I am looking for is a description of your God, their personality and how they feel toward their followers. Also include what your would like their primary domain to be in, this should be vague e.g. War, Love, Victory, Judgement, Law etc... Also include three secondary domains, these are more specific than your primary domain, and should be along the lines of Pirates, Horses, Dance, Clouds, Oaths etc... Finally, please include a few sample commandments that your God would have passed down to his followers (Do not wear Red Cloth, You must prey before you eat meat), this is just so I can get a feel for your God. Once we have the initial bits of information, we can start fully fleshing out your God together, or as a part of your Pantheon.

While the system I am using is "New Gods of Mankind", I am quite happy to take on players who have no recollection of the system and run the game in a more narrative fashion, while I handle the rules for them.

I would like players to be able to post once a day during the week and I am not worried about weekend posting as I work then.

Game Description:

New Gods for Old Worlds is a New Gods for Mankind game, the game where the players take on the roles of newly created Gods trying to lead and protector their followers in a dark and dangerous world.

Your people need you, they are lost on a rolling plains far from any signs of civilization. You have led them before in spirit, and now their belief has given you strength to become a God, all that they ask in return is that you help them find a home and watch over them.

It's nice to see a god game where the rules are kept in the background. I find that these things tend to devolve into strategy and number-crunching, so this is a refreshing change of pace. I shall be putting in an application.

why is it every time I go to post something MW decides to say 'sorry, you took too long, page disabled' and I lose the post, cant they at least send the not-posted message to our notepage or something? now I have to retype everything I had

Intriguing. I've never heard of the system involved here (though it sounds interesting), but seeing as that's not an obstacle, I may take a crack anyway.

Not yet sure what sort of character I'm going for; I'm thinking a fickle wind-goddess, or possibly a goddess of ambition who runs her church like a pyramid scheme (bring converts in exchange for extra blessings and a better afterlife!). Definitely open to pantheon membership, so if someone has an idea for something that'd work well with their deity (or make a good foil), feel free to mention it before I'm settled on a concept!

I'm playing a tricky-trickster, who would probably make a superb foil for the godly pyramid scheme and a great drinking-buddy for the wine goddess. Being a trickster, he tends to run 'round taking the piss out of people and/or doing humiliating/transgressive/interesting things. I imagine he'd show up every now and again to knock bricks out of the pyramid and give the greedy their just desserts.

Incidentally, the pyramid scheme idea reminds me of the evil church organization from some of the earlier issues of Hellblazer, since it was... well, literally the Pyramid of Prayer.

Edit: I read Wind-goddess as wine-goddess. Although both could be interesting concepts. Female Dionysian elements, perhaps, mixed with elements of fertility and a darker side.

For my two cents, I think that Elemental gods are tricky to make work, unless the element is just one part of their portfolio - the elements are pretty impersonal things. For example, the Elemental gods in Faerun are among the most boring of all the gods, because they're just kind of meh - they're not all that interested in people. Zeus and Poesiedon, on the other hand, get up to all kinds of wacky hijinx that make them interesting.

Well, The Puppeteer would also be interested in such a scheme. He's a neutral god, so to speak, and mainly out for himself and his people.

But he probably won't fit in a pantheon, and is more likely to be an individual god, though will always find his ways to convince the other gods he is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight777 View Post
For my two cents, I think that Elemental gods are tricky to make work, unless the element is just one part of their portfolio - the elements are pretty impersonal things. For example, the Elemental gods in Faerun are among the most boring of all the gods, because they're just kind of meh - they're not all that interested in people. Zeus and Poesiedon, on the other hand, get up to all kinds of wacky hijinx that make them interesting.
True. I'm fond of elemental gods because they come with all sorts of nifty imagery built-in, but they definitely work best with another aspect to them. (For instance, I once played a fire-goddess of hearth and community in a primeval forest setting, embodying Fire as the thing that shielded primitive Man from the wild things in the dark. Worked out nicely.)

But at the moment, I'm leaning more towards the other. The more I think about it, the more I think her religion will end up as a sort of Mesopotamian Mafia: although at its heart it's a strictly business arrangement (prayer for miracles) and nobody forgets it, it's been draped in ceremony and tradition until it's more than that, a way of life.

Also they'll send burly men to your house to break your legs if you mess with them, or some divine equivalent.

Primary Domain Ambition, secondaries of Wealth, Tradition or Family, and Revenge...? Definitely sounds like a rival/frequent target for Reyl. Should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerim View Post
Well, The Puppeteer would also be interested in such a scheme. He's a neutral god, so to speak, and mainly out for himself and his people.
Mmm. Alliances have obvious advantages, but the fact is that allies are also competitors when you're a god looking for worship. We shall see.

Sure, but if you look at my character, he even has a commandment to not just worship him

Yeah, he's a middle-ground god. Trying to stay out of a fight if there is any other way to do things.

I am actually going to pass on this game. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snark View Post
True. I'm fond of elemental gods because they come with all sorts of nifty imagery built-in, but they definitely work best with another aspect to them. (For instance, I once played a fire-goddess of hearth and community in a primeval forest setting, embodying Fire as the thing that shielded primitive Man from the wild things in the dark. Worked out nicely.)

But at the moment, I'm leaning more towards the other. The more I think about it, the more I think her religion will end up as a sort of Mesopotamian Mafia: although at its heart it's a strictly business arrangement (prayer for miracles) and nobody forgets it, it's been draped in ceremony and tradition until it's more than that, a way of life.
Nice! The "Mafia" image makes me thing that the temple also runs protection racket. "Whadda nice house ya got there. It would be a shame if it were to be hit by, ah, whaddaya callit, a lightning bolt?" [suggestive rattling of a collection plate]

I like the idea as a foil for Reyl, who would encourage his followers to swindle her temple as much as possible. He'd occasionally show up in person, in drag, and convince them to buy his "golden treasure." Which would end up being lots and lots of bees.