Notices

When the Night Comes

Old Oct 5 '12, 8:36pm
Everyone loves a Zombie ...

When the Night Comes

When the Night Comes - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Estimated Members Requested: 5

The world of Paratenabra has been at relative peace for several centuries. The price of this peace however is stagnation. Magic users hide away in secret, afraid to reveal their gifts to the world. The technological and magical advances of the Great Civilisations are long forgotten. People live their lives, sire children, and die. Very little changes. Small skirmishes occasionally happen, but wars are a distant memory of generations past, the civilised races mix and mingle freely, fearing little. The world has seen no evil for as long as any can remember, even the great flying lizards are now but a myth. Occasionally a small band of ‘barbarians’ will raid a village or trade caravan, but in general life proceeds at peace.

But something is changing in the world. Rumours of a southern kingdom amassing its armies to an unknown end start to reach the ears of the mainland lords. Whispers of strange creatures being seen at night on the borders and in isolated villages drift among the common folk.

In Shyran, one of the more propserous kingdoms, the great fortress of Riftgate falls silent. All couriers sent there fail to return, even a platoon of the Queens finest Lancers were never heard of again. No news for nearly two months. In desperation, a small group of adventurers are formed and requested to seek the answers to the silent fortress.

Flavour of the Game

This will be a game where initially magic is not common, magical items are not common and evil deeds and acts have been of limited scope. Players will fight against a variety of enemies and emerging evils, as dark forces force their way back into life. Combat will be run using a 4E combat tracker of some description, whether that is an excel sheet on google docs or a tracker that i update on my own pc and display the results here on Myth Weavers. (All dice rolls and posts will be here on Myth Weavers).

Characters will start at level 1, but I want to accelerate the early levels.

What I am Looking For

A group of five players, enthusiastic about playing in a homebrew world and fighting a resurging evil. Posting rate of once a day.

I'm looking for people who will not only be part of, but help create a great story. People to help create an exciting world to play in.

Character Application

Characters will start at level one, standard rules for creatiion as per the players hand book.

Include standard info (Name, sex, race, class). A background of your character, and any information on their personality that you want to include. The more information you give, the better feel I get for your character, the more chance of being selected.

As it is a homebrew world feel free to create places, non player characters, history etc

Applications will close 19th October but I may wrap the application process up earlier than the 19th if interest wanes, but it will be open a minimum of a week.

Character sheets are not needed at this point, I am much more interested in who your character is in the application.

Any questions please ask.

Questions Asked and Answers Given:

Game Description:

The world is in a state of stagnation. Magic users hide away in secret, afraid to reveal their gifts to the world. The technological and magical advances of the Great Civilisations are long forgotten. People live their lives, sire children, and die. Very little changes. But alongside this void of stagnation, peace reigns. Small skirmishes occasionally happen, but wars are a distant memory of generations past, the civilised races mix and mingle freely, fearing little. The world has seen no evil for as long as any can remember, even the great flying lizards are now but a myth. Occasionally a small band of ‘barbarians’ will raid a village or trade caravan, but in general life proceeds at peace.

But something is changing in the world. Rumours of a southern kingdom amassing its armies start to reach the ears of the mainland lords. Whispers of strange creatures being seen at night on the borders and in isolated villages drift among the common folk.

In Shyran, one of the more propserous kingdoms, the great fortress of Riftgate falls silent. All couriers sent there fail to return, even a platoon of the Queens finest Lancers were never heard of again. No news for nearly two months. In desperation, a small group of adventurers are formed and requested to seek the answers to the silent fortress.

Last edited by Drunken Zombie; Oct 6 '12 at 8:12am..
Don't decide just yet! Some of the best applications are still in the works!

Well, that took rather longer than anticipated. The crunch was easy, the fluff...not so much. xD

Anyway, I present to you my character application. I'll have the crunch ready later and will edit this post when his sheet is constructed.

--EDIT: Warning, incoming crunch. Warning, incoming crunch.--

It is brutal finding a thread like this so late into the recruitment! Great sounding game, but a ton of quality applications already in place. Makes it that much harder to come up with a compelling character! (Still gotta try of course. )

With so many apps outstanding, I threw this list together to help me look for any holes or patterns that might be fun to build something around. Let me know if I've got anything wrong here, I don't mind keeping it updated for the last few days of recruitment.

EDIT: Updated and reposted here.

Awesome, Mike! I usually do the same thing in Excel, but glad to see this list made available to us all.

...holy crap we have a 2:1 ratio of Defenders to Strikers. This is...exactly the opposite of every other 4E game I've ever applied for here. Here's hoping the DM wants an off-tank and a main tank both, or all us Defender-y types are up a creek... n.n*

Seem to be a lot of humans, too. Is that normal, or do you usually see more diverse races?

Well I'd better call Erias done, or I'm just going to keep tweaking him forever. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by weregeek85 View Post
...holy crap we have a 2:1 ratio of Defenders to Strikers. This is...exactly the opposite of every other 4E game I've ever applied for here. Here's hoping the DM wants an off-tank and a main tank both, or all us Defender-y types are up a creek... n.n*
Well, the Paladin might have an inherent leg-up here, since there are also very few Leader applications.

Of course, role isn't nearly as important as the build itself, we could have a lot of Leader-like people sitting out there. Maybe. Possibly. ...I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
Well, the Paladin might have an inherent leg-up here, since there are also very few Leader applications.

Of course, role isn't nearly as important as the build itself, we could have a lot of Leader-like people sitting out there. Maybe. Possibly. ...I dunno.
Paladins are about the only possible not-Leaders that I can think of that could substitute for a Leader on the healing front, but even Chaladins would be hard-pressed (at this level, anyway) to heal like a Leader and be all tank-like the way they're supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightKiwi View Post
I'm not too familiar with this forum - how are people posting that nicely-formatted character sheet summary?
Once you construct your guy's character sheet here on Myth-Weavers, there will be a big box with a check box by it labeled "Generate Stat Block On Save" in the top middle of the sheet, underneath the breakdown of your character's AC, Fort, Ref, and Will defenses. Click that checkbox so the function is on, and then when you save the sheet, there will be a big ol' wall-o-text with code tags and everything that you can cut and paste into a post. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightKiwi View Post
Seem to be a lot of humans, too. Is that normal, or do you usually see more diverse races?

Well I'd better call Erias done, or I'm just going to keep tweaking him forever. :P
I think part of it is this DM's requirement to be one of the 'vanilla' races lest you have some killer backstory reasons for your guy/gal being something other than a pointy-eared, stunted, or otherwise slightly off human.