Humble beginnings

Old Oct 6 '12, 8:35am
Young Adult Dragon

Humble beginnings

Humble Beginnings - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e - Forgotten Realms 3.5e
Ad Closes: Oct 19 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Hello. I'm a relative newcomer but no stranger to roleplaying. I've been trying to get a game going for keeps and here's hoping third time's the charm!

Despite the overly verbose setting "blurb" this is not a very ambitious concept. Just six inexperienced adventurers setting out with a caravan and taking the story wherever their decisions lead. There will be dungeons but most of the set-pieces touch matters that actively concern the average inhabitant of a hinterland and, later, average city. War, crime, schemes and a marauding monster or a dozen.

If the party proves up to what they find in their path, they might find themselves holding in their hands something worse than any monster: responsibility.

Cross our fingers.

Impiltur. The Forgotten Kingdom. Every year they come to the Farwater. Callow young men and women with grand dreams and bigger doubts. At the gateway to Impiltur's hinterland stands the city of Ilmwatch. Each summer traders arrive on ships from across the Sea of Falling Stars to attempt the journey north along the Merchant's Run. In their wake sellswords and sell-spells chasing coin and recognition. Many fall never to return. Sometimes a few come away with more.

The life of an adventurer is uncertain and beset with trial. But it is welcome to anyone willing to try.

Character creation:
Level 2, 28-point buy.
1,000 xp starting experience. 900 gp starting wealth. Full HP 1st-2nd level.
HP 3rd onward roll and take the better of the result and the average (HD*1/2, +1 at odd levels).

Allowed material:
PHB starting classes only.
Non-PHB variant/alternative classes/features/levels ask.
Non-PHB/DMG feats and and items allowed but subject to DM discretion.
PHB races and Forgotten Realms variants only (strongheart halfling, lesser tiefling so on).
Post requested prestige classes and non-PHB classes for (future) multiclassing.
No LA. No monsters. No templates.

Post apps HERE. Once you've completed them you can post in the Prologue. Thanks for reading.

Game Description:

Impiltur. The Forgotten Kingdom. Every year they come to the Farwater. Callow young men and women with grand dreams and bigger doubts. At the gateway to Impiltur's hinterland stands the city of Ilmwatch. Each summer traders arrive on ships from across the Sea of Falling Stars to attempt the journey north along the Merchant's Run. In their wake sellswords and sell-spells chasing coin and recognition. Many fall never to return. Sometimes a few come away with more.

The life of an adventurer is uncertain and beset with trial. But it is welcome to anyone willing to try.

Last edited by kakimasu; Oct 8 '12 at 3:26am..
Thug variant is fine.

@Sykarius: I'm strict when the situation needs it (like when the party somehow ends up in the desert). I do like rolling Survival and going hunting.

Depends but those aren't free.

For those close to or who've completed apps (sheets can wait but I'll need to see them before making selections), you can give us a taste in the prologue. This is in-character, and a way on my part to give hints about how the game will go.

Definitely interested. Going to draw up something in the next day or so.

this would be my first game, for 3.5 so are you illing to help someone new understand the rules? side note: how would i give you an app through pm?

I'd certainly help. I can start by pointing you to the SRD which has most of the basic rules. To be fair I would like to see everyone post their apps in the Applications thread.

Hey, just letting you know that's I'm withdrawing my application, due to not having a reliable posting rate. Hope you all have fun !

Ah sorry to hear that.

On another note I've decided to close applications early (this Friday instead of next). If nothing intervenes I will make final selections this weekend.