Notices

Anyone looking to run mid to high level gestalt?

Anyone looking to run mid to high level gestalt?

I'd love to play in such a game, and I just wanted to see who was interested.

How high would "mid to high level" be? I like gestalt but at higher levels it's going to be on a par with a close-to-epic game, which is probably too high-powered for my tastes, at least.

What about gestalt E6 (or E8 or whatever), with enough extra time since hitting the level cap that the characters have a bunch of extra feats? That would give you gestalt and middling power levels without being so unmanageable that the game would die early on (like so many other gestalt and/or high-level games).

I was thinking 6-12 but I'm totally flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaBear View Post
What about gestalt E6 (or E8 or whatever), with enough extra time since hitting the level cap that the characters have a bunch of extra feats? That would give you gestalt and middling power levels without being so unmanageable that the game would die early on (like so many other gestalt and/or high-level games).
E6 works well with gestalt. Since without extensive GM peer review, high-mid level gestalt breaks down and everything goes wonky. Gestalt compensates E6s lack of flexibility and firepower by combining two classes, making them technically 1.5 stronger, with E6 Gestalt being E9 in terms of power level.

Maybe I just like low-powered campaigns.

I think a lot of people do.

L6-12 is probably good, though. Personally I just find myself trying to overoptimise the gestalt system and wind up with cranky class combos whenever I try and do a higher-level gestalt (well, I wrote a couple of L12 gestalt apps recently, for different games).

I personally tend to go more for L10 or lower games (though I don't see that many higher anyway) with the highest PbP one I've ever been in actually being L7. L6 gestalt is easily a couple of levels above that but not so crazy that it'd get screwed up too badly, and it's high enough that PrCs could start to come on the scene.

But yeah, gestalt is always popular.

Class limits are a good regulatory mechanism. Because 1-2 level dips are disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secutor View Post
Class limits are a good regulatory mechanism. Because 1-2 level dips are disgusting.
I'm cool with them if they're for a concept. For example, pally 2 sorc4 spellsword 1 abjurant champ 5 sacred exorcist 8 gives you an awesome gish so I'm fine with it.

I'm interested in trying E6/E8 or whatever in Gestalt. But is someone interested in being the DM? Seems like that's important to secure before deciding on what form of gestalt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secutor View Post
Because 1-2 level dips are disgusting.
Are they? How are you supposed to get into, say, Eldritch Knight, then? Dipping a martial class then losing a casting level is already a pretty big drawback.

Personally, I think random dips with no real RP reasoning are just too obviously munchkinny. Sometimes, they're the only way to be able to play a certain kind of character, mechanically, though. Also, something like a Fighter 2/Ranger 2/Crusader 1/Warblade 2 or whatever could just be termed a "warrior". I don't see how that's really any different to a Fighter 7.

Not to mention, there's could be a very viable RP reason for crazy dipping. Personally, I feel as though in real life I have a wide range of rather useless almost-skills. Like, I can play snippets of things on the keyboard, and juggle. Maybe I just spent a lot of cross-class skills on Perform and suchlike, but I could easily have dipped Juggler for a level or two, getting to Mills Mess but not Juggle Four, gestalted with Physicist just long enough to leave before Quantum Mechanics. OK I'm talking rubbish now but the point is, real people aren't single-classed, so why should characters be?