Runelords on the Rise : Burnt Offerings

Old Oct 7 '12, 1:42am
SCAdian

Location: Sitting on a Corn Flake, waiting for the band to come
Runelords on the Rise : Burnt Offerings

RotR 01: Burnt Offerings - Forum
Pathfinder - Golarion
Estimated Members Requested: 6

This is a First Level Game using the Pathfinder System. You can either use their published books or the Pathfinder SRD for game mechanics.

Applications Close on the 15th of October
Expected Game Start on the 20th of October

As Pathfinder is designed to co-exist with the standard 3.5 system; I will accept non-standard classes from 3.5 supplements if someone has a really, really, really good pitch. I am unfond of some of the more outlandish OGL creations but I myself can cherry pick through some of the feats and classes and find things I like. So long as it does not seem like munchkinisim then give it a go. Also, if there is already a Pathfinder System Class that has the same function, that is what you should use. No 'tome' character classes; from what I have seen of those they are just cribbing notes from Pathfinder anyways. Anything with the words "Dread", "Exalted" or "Vile" in their title are highly suspect.

I feel that the Summoner Class is over powered, particularly at lower levels. And at higher levels just requires too much paperwork.

I feel that the Alchemist Class has potential that has been ruined by too many people trying to play one as if it were Crazy Harry from the Muppets.

As such, I will not accept characters from either of these classes.

A completed character sheet is not required at this time. You can make them, I just do not require them yet.
Having a good feel for your character is more important to me than the game mechanics at this time.

POST APPLICATIONS IN THIS FOLDER

PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR CHARACTERS IN THE FORMAT DETAILED HERE

I have two returning players from my previous attempt to GM a game here that are going to be joining in.
I will be accepting Six More.

Character Building Game Mechanics (Because Even When It Is Said They Are Not Needed, Everyone Does It Anyways)

I own the Basic Books and a couple of the PDFs. If for some reason we have a disagreement about what something is supposed to be, check and see if you are using a later printing and let me know if my information is out of date.

Has Anyone Not Seen My Rants Against Random Character Stats?
Character Attributes : Point Build
High Fantasy 25 Points.

Pick Two Traits.
One Must Be From This List
To Reiterate Because Some People Seem To Not Be Clear
You Must Choose One Trait from the "Adventure Path" Traits
The Point of Which is to Make a Connection Between Your Character and the Campaign.

First Level
Maximum Money
Maximum Hit Points

ALIGNMENT NOTE
There seems to be some confusion, which is sadly the typical confusion for D&D Games and the idea of an Evil Alignment.
Psychopaths are not evil. Sociopaths are not evil. Serial Killers are not evil.
None of those things are evil. They are mentally handicapped.

I am not forbidding evil aligned characters. But they had better be well written with the intent to show how well they can become part of the group and trusted by the other players.

I have made some changes to the Planetouched because it appears I have had a blind spot about something for several years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luneleck View Post
Will you be using the hero points system?
I am not at this time considering the use of Hero Points. They are most often used in combat and those parts of the thread become muddled enough as it is. Suddenly jumping initiative is especially awkward. I reserve the right to introduce them at a later date if things work smoothly enough or they seem like a fun addition. Please do not base character classes or choices on the availability or non-availability of Hero Points.

For Those Who Want To Post Interest in This Thread and Help Keep it Visible

In This Thread Post for Me

Name
Race
Class and/or Role
Campaign Specific Trait you think you might choose. (You're Not Committed : The One You Thinking About)

Game Description:

Rise of the Runelords : Part One
Sandpoint. A quiet little town with some dirty little secrets. The Swallowtail Festival occurs on the first day of Autumn and the entire town is celebrating both a good harvest and the dedication of the town's new temple. But out in the wild, goblins lurk, growing bolder as if driven by new purpose. And the evils of the marshes and bogs does not compare with the dark secrets that bubble beneath the surface of this sleepy costal village. Will the players discover the truth about Sandpoint's past or will they become Burnt Offerings?

The pacing and theme of this adventure is fairly basic. A call to heroism, a simple bit of investigating and then a nice dungeon delve that is logical and rewards intelligent tactics over blind charges. The players need not be paragons of virtue; but on the gripping hand, they will be tasked with placing themselves in danger for little reward beyond personal satisfaction and the thanks of the local populace.

Last edited by Roughtrade; Oct 12 '12 at 8:09am.. Reason: Revision 1.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughtrade View Post
Having a difficult time in responding to this. I do not want to kill your enthusiasm for the character by a poorly worded inquiry.

With that in mind, there is no real 'game mechanic' reason against a character multi-classing into a wizard.

There are some Role Play 'mechanics' that tend to work against it.

You can pick up a sword and start swinging it and be pretty much okay as multi-classing to fighter. Any class other than that, and I would like to see at least some attempt during play, and in background as well, that leads one to believe that the character has been studying for the required time. Sorcerers can be 'born in fire' and just suddenly express their abilities. Wizards need a teacher.

Keep that in mind and things should work out.
You don't need to worry. I've been playing pathfinder for years, and spent about 6 hours working out this build, it just requires one level in sorcerer at the start to truly shine.

It works nicely from a roleplay perspective I find too, having her innate magic be uncontrollable and cause more harm to herself than good that she had to learn a different way to access it.

That sounds good. Now is the only place for training in ninjutsu far away from everything?

Mew77. I think you need to read some of the forums and possibly follow the links to the Pathfinder Wiki which greatly details the setting. If you expect me to do the work for you and explain why a ninja is a zillion miles from home, you are going to be waiting for quite a long time.

Please do not 'Apply to Game' in the forums. I will send out invites to characters once the applications are closed. People who keep making me deny their application to join the game are going to quickly get on my list of people to ignore.

Application Status Update

Alleana Goldeneyes : While not strictly following the format I wanted she is a completed application. For putting up with my previous mistakes, she gets the pass on formatting.

Thornwell : Fully completed application.

Rhionda Charmont : Fully completed application.

Robin Ludel : Fully completed application.

Hukmen Dunir : Fully completed application.

Kestrel Lacklund, "Kes" : Fully Completed application

Tzios : The Player says the app is not complete but other than some formatting differences (which we have seen I can be flexible on if the app is good) this application provides all the information I have requested. Other than one oversight, which unlike the LA+ thing I am sticking with, this application is for all intents and purposes, complete.

Milo Lebbick : All required information complete. Milo has not yet chosen a class. I am assuming he is happy with picking up whatever the company requires. If I am wrong on this, the player needs to decide which class he is going to apply with.

Rodrick : Mostly complete. I need to know which resident of Sandpoint you desire to be your 'Son of a...' connection.

Alaren Longhill : Application is incomplete. Requires some sort of answers to at least two of my application questions. Also, some use of spaces and line breaks in the app would make it easier to read.

Iolaum : Waiting on his Psionic App.

Mew77 : Waiting on his Ninja or Monk or whatever App.

EvilRoeSlade has PMd me an app but has not yet put it in the forums. Fully completed application

Reorganized the Advertisement to track applications.

Iolaum? You still with us?

Mew?

Sorry those last three days have been really busy and I only had time to keep up on existing games (even though barely). I ll work on that app soon.

Not closing Apps out until Monday and I've been known to let in a straggler if they had a really super-duper pitch. (Like the original two, would not count against numbers)

Actually, I like almost everything so far that I've seen. Half considering making a big mass group out of everyone that gets a completed App in. Would only make it two more than I've committed myself to anyways.

But no promises. Specially if this weekend sees a big push.

For all the people who keep PMiing me; yes. I am still accepting applications.

Apps close out on Monday whenever I get back from the Dentist and close the thread.