Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Candidate slammed for being a Gamer

her enthusiastic support of murder? The comment may have been untoward, but even teh most cynical spin doctor would have trouble saying *that* with a straight face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
her enthusiastic support of murder? The comment may have been untoward, but even teh most cynical spin doctor would have trouble saying *that* with a straight face.
Watch me.
Of course, I have difficulty coming up with how that's precisely a bad thing.

In what can't be a coincidence, this forum page (for me) features an ad for Michelle Bachmann for Congress. Did somebody on MW say her name three times again? Does everyone remember how hard it was to perform the banishing spell last time? I have a job, people, I can't keep doing this sort of thing. Yeesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
I read it but they're painting her as out of touch, the same as what happens with any other candidate for pretty much any reason. The real focus of the attack is on her enthusiastic support of murder.
I still think you're mistaken. They're going after her for being an immature gamer.

This is the text of their flyer: "Colleen Lachowicz, AKA Santiaga, is a gamer in the massively multiplayer online role-playing game World of Warcraft (WoW), which takes place in the make-believe land Azeroth. Today, Colleen/Santiaga is an orc assassination rogue playing at level 85–the highest level one can attain. She and the members of her “Wreck List Guild”—Colleen/Santiaga’s WoW online alliance—post comments to each other on liberal online forums including the Daily Kos, where they discuss politics, military policies, and WoW battle tactics.

Studies have found the average WoW gamer is 28, and spends 22.7 hours a week playing in Azeroth."

and

"In Colleen's online fantasy world, she is Santiaga, an Orc Assassination Rogue. 'So I'm a level 68 rogue girl. That means I stab things... a lot. Who would have thought that a peace-lovin', social worker and democrat would enjoy that?"

It features a large picture of a female orc and a smaller picture of the woman in question.

There is no mention of her 'drown Grover Norquist' comment, and the 'stab things' comment, while highlighted in a bold red color, is contxtually more about the aberrant behavior of gaming than anything else.

They are painting her as other, delusional, immature, and of poor character and moral judgment. Because she is a gamer and had the poor judgment to write about it in the public space.

Yea this is pure nonsense and just one more sign of the times we live in. Where every comment can be poked and twisted, taken out of context, and exaggerated to prove a point. I didn't even know who Grover Norquist was before this but a comment made in jest about really wanting to strangle that guy etc? We call that normal hyperbole for effect among normal people.

(Especially when said comment was made satirizing a comment *that Grover Norquist made*)

It sounds like 1) This woman made a few offensive remarks an unknown period of time ago and those are being taken offense to long after the fact and 2) Politicians will run any kind of dirty ad to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
If by "unknown period of time ago" you mean 3 years then sure.
I saw a date attached to her comments regarding her WoW activities, but did not see one attached to her Norquist reference. Would you be so kind as to provide the source of your surety?