General OOC

The rolls were definitely in my favor. So much so I'm not going to mention that he had concealment. Let's say the chain wrapped around himself negated that.

It is easier to hit a thing when there is a clear marker indicating where that thing is, yes. Don't worry, flubs happen. I make it a point to ensure that flubs aren't the end of the world. (But crits are always trouble for the bad guys!)

Assuming Melanie soundly took care of the swordsmen Geoff was going to try to tangle his chain around one of the crossbowmen. They're 10 feet up right? Spiked chain has reach of 10 ft. What attack would I use for this, a trip attack?

For those of you who are not picking up the subtext to my battle maneuvers, since we've all trained in similar schools of ludicrously effective combat (ie Tome of Battle), we should all be able to evaluate each others' intentions.

To add that to the general understanding, despite attacking with brutal ferocity, Dendara is not aiming to kill more than she has to. She felled the captain in one blow, but he is not dead. She felled one of Geoff's attackers with a combo, but the seaman will heal. I notice that Saphira's efforts have dropped a crewman to the deck, where he's slumped in a crumpled heap. It looks like we've managed only one fatality so far. I think we're all in agreement that taking the crew prisoner would be a better plan than killing them, since we're peacekeepers at our core.

Maika:

tbonejc:

Wow, didn't intend to write a book. >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erico View Post
It is easier to hit a thing when there is a clear marker indicating where that thing is, yes. Don't worry, flubs happen. I make it a point to ensure that flubs aren't the end of the world. (But crits are always trouble for the bad guys!)
I think it plays to Geoff's character quite well! You did mention in your background that he's not really taken seriously. I'm almost seeing him as a little brother to take care of, cute and clumsy! Geoff'll prove himself yet.

Melanie was raised with a "kill or be killed on the line of combat" mentality. Her parents view their duties as Gatekeepers with utmost seriousness and one cannot be a long-term Gatekeeper if he/she dies in the process. It's not that she's cold-blooded, it's just the way she was taught to work.

Works for me! Not all of us are going to play the same. That would be far too convenient. ^_^

On the Swordsmen: "They're dead, Jim."

Everybody gets 270 xp from the Herring fight. There's more to be done, but you might want to add that to your totals.

On posting actions:

Time is a relative thing in PbP games, since we all have the ability to type up a lot of actions prior to having other people contribute, especially outside of combat.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like we have a bit of confusion occurring with regards to actions, as well as assignments of duty. With no set leader, it's not surprising, but we're dealing with people making contrary suggestions.

1. Read the posts prior to your own. A lot of detail can be gleaned about a person's intentions and suggestions by reading the statements they make, and indicating their general state of being in their RP. Without reading the previous posts, people will look like idiots making contrary suggestions to something that's just been said, fairly similarly to the Three Stooges style of comedy.

Example:
- Geoff suggested Mia and Dendara check out below-decks following tying up the prisoners.
- Mia then proceeded to tie up the crew and suggest that she and Melanie check out below-decks.

2. Try to assume nothing. The DM has final say, and assumptions will only result in retcons.

Example:
- Mia checked each of the crew and found a pulse. In character, we have no idea whether the men are still alive. Even a punch can be lethal if done wrong. Also, we just saw one of the crew graphically kill himself. We have no guarantee that any of the crew is still alive.

Those are just some recommendations that I think would help. I'm certainly not policing people's posts, but I'd like to point out the issues I see to avoid them going forward.

Man, I feel like such a jerk this game. :P