Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

VP debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderhorn View Post
He was more personable, I think, but let himself be constantly talked over by Biden.
In previous debates the ones that were seen as more rude have typically been viewed as losing. Gore in 2000, Bush's first debate in 2004, etc. So I'm not certain letting Biden interrupt him once per minute was really a bad strategy.

Quote:
I think, mainly, that's why I think Biden won. Everyone went in expecting "Crazy Uncle Joe", and, well, he didn't shove his foot in his mouth. He came off as someone who had intelligence and an ability to voice it, if not in a personable way. Everyone expected Ryan to come off well. He's already shown himself to be an intelligent, articulate man. He was more personable, I think, but let himself be constantly talked over by Biden.
Oh sure. Agreed. Just by performing competently, if not spectacularly, he steadied the Dem ship. Where as Ryan had to perform at a much higher level then he did to achieve the same effect with Republicans. Ryan did OK but it won't move the needle for Republicans really.

The real story though is how independents are receiving the debate. That should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
The real story though is how independents are receiving the debate. That should be interesting.
One thing to pay attention to is the wording of the polls too. Ones that ask "Who did you think won?" are asking completely different questions than "After watching the debate who are you most likely to vote for?"

Of course we might both be wrong. CNBC twitter insta-polls is showing a definite lead in Ryan's favor, for what those polls are worth.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/256584306443554817

Quote:
I dunno, you turn around and have a CBS poll that gives undecideds 50 Biden, 31 Ryan, and 19 Undecided.
From the linkThe "uncommitted voters" who participated in this poll are either undecided or have chosen a candidate but say they could still change their minds. They are less likely than voters overall to identify with either of the two major political parties: 58 percent call themselves independents, 17 percent identify as Republicans, and 25 percent say they are Democrats.

That poll has 50% more Democrats than Republicans FWIW.

Quote:
I dunno, you turn around and have a CBS poll that gives undecideds 50 Biden, 31 Ryan, and 19 Undecided.
Well...nobody is claiming these things are scientific. Or at least I hope not. It'll take at least a day to sort out the reactions in a better fashion.

I assume the article I took this off fetched it from TV as there was no links to the polls themselves.

Quote:
The instant polls:
CNBC had it Ryan 56%-36%,
CBS Biden 50%-31%,
CNN Ryan 48%-44%,
AP Ryan 51%-43%.

Good news if these numbers reflect reality. Biden's performance worked well for his base because they wanted a viceral take-down (such as it was) to redeem Obama. But if these numbers hold then it didn't translate so well for independents and Republicans.