General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Xcom Enemy Unknown

There are actually a few points like that where you can delay a Mission that advances the plot as long as you like. Of course doing that you run the risk that the invader's will outpace you. Similar to the original the size and strength of invaders isnt actually related to how far you are in the plot, they advance independently. Sure you can wait to train up, but you risk being out-Teched and out-Gunned.

Tech is based on how far one is through the campaign? If that is the case, that sounds horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalara Shadowmist View Post
Tech is based on how far one is through the campaign? If that is the case, that sounds horrible.
No, the tech isnt based on how far you are through the campaign. You still have labs and scientists and you choose what to have them research, but you cant interrogate or autopsy an alien you haven't captured or killed yet and you cant reverse engineer alien tech you haven't encountered. Your research, how far you are in the plot and how advanced the alien conquest of Earth is are related, but one does not dictate the other. The conquest goes at it own pace, its up to you to do the research and deal with the aliens.

I love this game. Put so many hours into it. On an Ironman play-through, have the tech tree pretty much finished (interrogated a Berseker! Go me!) and am decommissioning my Labs ATM. I'm rather stuck, though, since I need a powerful psychic soldier and apparently all the ones I currently have aren't making the grade. So I'm building enough Titan and Archangel armor, and plasma weapons, to equip all my soldiers at once, while leveling up new squaddies and hoping they get Will >80 before Colonel rank, so I can stick them in Psi training and get kick-ass psychics.

Unless your game is tripping out, that means you just have to get someone to Rank 3 of the Psychic powers. From what my sister is claiming (she of the Impossible Ironman playthroughs), you are going to want a full six-member squad of Rank 3 Psychos--sorry, Psychics--for that final push. It is apparently...brutal. (Me, I am not that good.)

She's right - it is brutal. And the psychic powers level-up independently of the soldier - they go up just by using them. Once a soldier has three psychic powers, then they're powerful enough for the stage that Raveled is at.

Yup, I'm loving it as well ... though I've started on the level above Normal (and beneath Impossible) as I had played all of the other XCOM games, and when given the option, taking the Very Difficult missions (unless the panic is getting higher on another choice), so the combats are quite slow because the Skinnies are bloody awesome shots and I'm finding I need to move slowly and surely with an assault taking the lead (with Lightning Reflexes) to avoid getting hit by an alien I couldn't see in Overwatch ...

I do love how they earn their own nicknames (I've got Highway, Ouija, Ghost Train so far ... some of my favourites).

I'm not playing Ironman and I probably should have started on Normal as I'd then be further in / finished, but que sera sera ...

NGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalara Shadowmist View Post
That's not different than the original. If you play well you can stay ahead of the aliens tech wise. Like the original, you can opt to not "finish" and just wait for missions/ufos to come by and blow them up to your heart's content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestar View Post
Unless your game is tripping out, that means you just have to get someone to Rank 3 of the Psychic powers. From what my sister is claiming (she of the Impossible Ironman playthroughs), you are going to want a full six-member squad of Rank 3 Psychos--sorry, Psychics--for that final push. It is apparently...brutal. (Me, I am not that good.)
Hm. I'm about done with Classic Ironman. I thought it was too easy and have less fear of Impossible now. Psychic troops are AMAZING. I didn't pick up Iron Will until too late in the campaign but I still field 5/6 psionics and it makes missions a breeze. 40% hit with a weapon or 90%+ hit with mind fray. Hm... choices choices. </sarcasm>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I love this game. Put so many hours into it. On an Ironman play-through, have the tech tree pretty much finished (interrogated a Berseker! Go me!) and am decommissioning my Labs ATM. I'm rather stuck, though, since I need a powerful psychic soldier and apparently all the ones I currently have aren't making the grade. So I'm building enough Titan and Archangel armor, and plasma weapons, to equip all my soldiers at once, while leveling up new squaddies and hoping they get Will >80 before Colonel rank, so I can stick them in Psi training and get kick-ass psychics.
You pretty much need psi armor in order to get a strong enough soldier. My most powerful psionic had 105 will and I still had to put him in psi armor to boost him enough to progress.