Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Xcom Enemy Unknown

Oh an Xcom D20 game? Throw a PM my way when you start that, I'd like to partake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadford01 View Post
Im disappointed that my computer can not run the game, so i am converting it to d20 future
Dude, count me in. I can't get enough of this genre.

So I've got psionics on a couple of my soldiers now... and I'm failing to see how they beat plasma weaponry. Can anyone enlighten me on this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfte View Post
So I've got psionics on a couple of my soldiers now... and I'm failing to see how they beat plasma weaponry. Can anyone enlighten me on this point?
I think they're really good at a range and target something else besides defense (Will I think it's called).. I just got them myself and fighting Mutons they'll have 100 percent chance to hit at a pretty far range.. In fact, range didn't ever seem to be a factor, as long as I had line of sight I had the same percent chance to hit.

EDIT: Just realized I'm talking out of turn, since I don't have plasma weapons yet

Plasma doing 10 points or mind fray doing 5... you can rapid fire with the plasma as well... so you can do 20... and on a crit end up at around 30 points. At higher levels your hit chances are much better as well, thus I'm failing to see the huge advantage of an all-psi group. I guess I can see them as useful support abilities but the level 2 and 3 abilities aren't really... amazing either. Granted, as I said, they're useful, simply not as big a deal as I had expected.

Well Psi powers are useful when your other option is trying to pull off a very unlikely shot, in the end, I'd rather do a mind fray with 95% to hit that does 5 damage, than a 50% to hit attack that does 10 damage, sure technically the 50% will do more damage on paper, but the 95% is a safer bet.

Also the support abilities psi soldiers can get? Very powerful when used properly.

Well, the game is all about tactics, lol. There's certainly a place for all the skills without question! I've just seen a lot of people rave about how awesome the PSI skills are and whatnot... and I'm just not seeing them as "all that" and a box of crackers. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfte View Post
Well, the game is all about tactics, lol. There's certainly a place for all the skills without question! I've just seen a lot of people rave about how awesome the PSI skills are and whatnot... and I'm just not seeing them as "all that" and a box of crackers. *shrug*
They might be like me and got psi abilities before plasma weapons.. Like right now they do as much damage as most of my other guns and they rarely miss.. Plus they debuff.. So I'm in the "they're all that" department

Psi powers are much better, comparatively, on harder modes. Enemies get innate Defense buffs, substantial ones, on Classic and Impossible. Guns become significantly less reliable on anything except adjacent Assault soldiers.

Ah, thank you Vox, that makes much more sense then.

Edit: And not to derail but has anyone gotten into the beta for FireFall? I keep seeing the banner ad everywhere, lol.