General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Xcom Enemy Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kobold View Post
This second playthrough I am going with africa. Now, still only 4-6 hours in, I have lost 4 countries and half of whats left is in full panic?! Is it normal to lose a large chunk of your map so quickly?
Sounds like you've been the victim of some of the randomness of the game. If you don't get the Abduction Missions in places where you have your highest Panic you can lose countries pretty easily.

One thing to consider, especially when you get to Classic difficulty, is pick which Continent you're willing to sacrifice early. You wont be able to keep every country but the benefits from whole continents having Satellite coverage are big.

You can always try some of the mods, they make it more balanced and even add some difficulty I believe, but they only work in classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalD View Post
You can always try some of the mods, they make it more balanced and even add some difficulty I believe, but they only work in classic.
Its a rental... X-box copy.

Quote:
Its a rental... X-box copy.
Should have thought about that, didn't make sense if it was rental for PC...

It seems to be balancing. I just hit my first installation and even though the baddies just got upgraded (heavy floaters and psy), I have only lost a total of 6 countries across the map. Not much difficulty. The hardest part of the game right now is an efficiency issue. Trying to heal everyone up before taking out the last bad guy of each map can be time consuming. Ironic since the goal is to reduce their injured down time! lol

When I play iron man again, I am definitely gonna drop one of the clusters though.

Question, I have an odd urge to roll out a squad of all S.H.I.V.s... Has anyone tried that?

I am enjoying having a disposable scout/Overwatch bait on each party, but idk if I want to invest in the full set quite yet. Maybe I'll keep a guy equipped with an arc thrower and a med pack at the least. lol

Edit: Also, on the D20 game, would S.H.I.V. operator be an option? I would love to play a sickly guy in a control room controlling a bot in the field.

Also, whats everyone's opinion of restarting a game if you don't like your steam square's location? lol

I figured that when I try again, I might try to start on a good base map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadford01 View Post
Out of curiosity, What prestige classes, in the d20 modern/future system do you think would work for X-com?
If I was to run an Xcom game, I'd make a homebrew Soldier class that can choose a playstyle along the same lines as the ranger can in D&D and otherwise customized, I mean the xcom soldiers are supposed to be the elite of the elite, where as D20 modern classes seem to be pretty specialized from my limited knowledge of the system.

EDIT: And @Dirty Kobold
I see no issue with restarting if the starting setup really do suck, but otherwise? It seems kind of like cheating, I wasn't aware it was random when I first started playing, so yeah.. I wish I had known.

My current playthrough has the steam vent in the farthest possible point from the start. All the way in the bottom corner.

Also, how would your homebrew soldier branch into being a S.H.I.V.? lol

Quote:
Also, how would your homebrew soldier branch into being a S.H.I.V.? lol
May be not a S.H.I.V. but a S.H.I.V. pilot!

For the S.H.I.V.s I was thinking of making them autonomous robots....