Wiggly Wyrm

Small Men in a Big World - Step Forward to Volunteer

Small Men in a Big World - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e
Ad Closes: Nov 5 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Small Men in a Big World
A party of halflings sets out to rescue their kidnapped kinsfolk

Current PartyCloven "Guffo" Grainsburry – Lightfoot Protector (Ramrunner)
Altemen Tealeaf – Lightfoot Sun Priest (spazz451)
Camden "Hiccup" Barrowmarch – Lightfoot Protector (noobiegameplayer)
Smythe "Dirtfoot" – Lightfoot Rogue (sixgunninja)
James Lightfingers – Stout Rogue/Thief (Kerim)
Symond Athyew (Abelard) - Stout Sorcerer

Willing to take two more to make a maximum of eight characters.

Note: Playtest 4 is out and all characters will start using those rules now.

Current ApplicantsWIP denotes missing sections or listed as such. Others have all sections though feel free to continue to edit or add to them. I'll review them fully each time I choose players/characters

Barlow "Rabbit" Goodfellow (nolifeonline) - Lightfoot Sharpshooter - WIP
Rathdyn Olmsa - Stout Protector (Gingerbread)

Please let me know if you have added a character and don't see it added to this list within a few days.

Note: This game is taking rolling acceptance. We plan to accept no more than four players by the end of the first week (21st October) and then up to four more before the ad closes. We've decided to accept up to eight players for this game as that should provide more interaction whilst still being manageable.

Game Description:

The small village of Heawold is neither big nor special in any particular way. Whilst not prosperous the halflings who call it home are a generally very content lot. They live their lives busy producing fine wine and food that they enjoy as often as possible and occasionally trade to the dwarves of Nuledzar and the Goblins of Gorbul Town.

The dale they live in is quite safely tucked in between the Mountains to the North and West where little bar dwarves and the occasional grumpy giant live, the crowded trees of Ewnham forest to the East - the domain of Goblins but the have been peaceful for many years, and the cold broken tundra and forests to the south where very little bar tall and ancient trees grow and only the occasional bear roams.

However last night the village was raided. Sengo the sentry was struck from behind and sent tumbling out of his watch tower. The two nurseries-schools were entered and some sort of drugged rag was used on the inhabitants whilst they slept to keep them that way. All of the children around the ages of seven to fifteen and two of the nurses were taken.

Only those children whose turn it was to stay with their parents and those few in the small hospital remained safe.

A small party of villagers sets off to find and return the missing children and the two nurses. None has any illusions about the world outside the village being anything other than scary, unfriendly and outright dangerous. The furthest any of the villagers has been is to the dwarven city of Nuledzarís outer gate or to the edge of the Ewnham forest to trade.

Last edited by Cyco; Nov 4 '12 at 1:47pm..
That works for the skills. Not sure about not being given the opportunity to say no. Prodded to step forward works but not exaclty shoved or forced. He would have to be aware that he still had choice if not approval to say no and that would be the end of it. That workable for you?

I'm looking at 'Still some of the children sneak away to find him fishing to trapping rabbits. Those days are Smythe's favorites, long afternoons teaching the young ones...' and guessing that's your connection. If that's strong motivation for Smythe and is not unknown to at least Waltin and Fortolm then that could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
That works for the skills. Not sure about not being given the opportunity to say no. Prodded to step forward works but not exaclty shoved or forced. He would have to be aware that he still had choice if not approval to say no and that would be the end of it. That workable for you?
Yeah that works for me. Smythe's cynicism makes him think he's being given less choice than he really has, he's being prodded as you put it. And on the flip side, they prod because they think they have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
I'm looking at 'Still some of the children sneak away to find him fishing to trapping rabbits. Those days are Smythe's favorites, long afternoons teaching the young ones...' and guessing that's your connection. If that's strong motivation for Smythe and is not unknown to at least Waltin and Fortolm then that could work.
Yes, that was what I thinking of as his connection. Now Smythe is no Wizard, but like Gandalf is considered a 'Disturber of the Peace' in the Shire, but the children still run to him as soon as he shows up for Bilbo's 111th birthday. I could expand that section if you want, but I was imagining that Symthe teaching children to fish or about constellations etc. was public knowledge, to the consternation of parents who wanted their children to do their chores and keep their clothes clean.

Maybe one of the missing kids is one that comes to Smythe fairly often? Because they like the outdoors, or they have a mean step-mother or something?

Well, I imagine that either James would get chosen due to being one of the only ones who regularly went outside the city borders to trade with other people. He also is the one in the village with the most expertise concerning locks, and other mechanical things.

Otherwise he'll just follow them.

Also: Sixgun, perhaps Smythe and James have at least some kind of relationship. As James is almost never in the city, preferring to explore, and Smythe stays out to forage, they would probably have met once.

@Kerim: I'm certain they would have, not only do they both live on the outskirts of Heawold (literally and figuratively), but I imagine that one would have eventually noticed the signs of a fellow rogue. Given his years as a starving refugee I know Smythe would be leaving marks on trees and rocks to show others who know the signs where they can find a barn to sleep in or a good fishing hole.

Perhaps that would be how James would have learned all the things. At first he started recognizing the patterns of the signs, and the tracks in the ground, which later led him to find Smythe?

The biggest issue with James is lack of connection to those taken. Why would he risk upsetting the village by doing something so serious as to follow an official party without permission? He would lose pretty much all standing within the village for doing so.

Also there is no trade with elves nor has anyone seen such a creature. What are foresters?

Alright, I changed his personality slightly, and added a background.

He would go after them because he wants to go on an adventure, because (if those get accepted) several of his friends would go too, and because he wants to show people that he is mature enough to handle those things.

Hey gang,

I've got a vacation coming up (Oct. 26 - Nov. 4), so I've been swamped at work. Although I have submitted Barlow, I might be making a few changes later. I've been thinking about the kind of character I want to play, so that information will be coming.

Right now, this is what I have in mind: a halfling who has lost their spouse and infant and has been living in self imposed solitude out of grief/anger as a hunter just outside of Heawold. I envision that this halfling was asked to aid in the search with Adan, because of their knowledge of the terrain, but refused to help. Reason: bitterness toward the parents who lost their children, because this halfling has been jealous of them and angry at the nickname some have called this halfling as a result of the halfling's odd behavior. This halfling would later reconsider in time to meet up with the chosen group as they head off. Reason: not knowing what has happened to your child is much worse than what this halfling experienced (infant died of natural causes) and parents should never have to suffer that. Plus, if the halfling's infant had not died, chances are it would have been taken with this group of children.

I'm open for discussion on this background. Thanks!

Do you have any rules for inner party conflicts? and would a switch or thin stick be considered a finesse weapon... why? no reason.