General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.


The Walking Dead - Season 3

   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
Not to nit pick, but....

Shane doesn't kill Otis. Shane wounds Otis, shooting him the leg, making it so Otis can't outrun Shane or the zombies. The zombies actually kill Otis.

And to stay on the topic of Shane and Otis...what moron walks into a school filled with zombies anyhow? I know they needed the medical supplies to help save Carl, but in that situation I'm going back to the farm and saying "Sorry, but the kid's gonna die. Why? Well, let's see you waltz into a zed-filled school and just pick up some meds."

With that said, that episode is my favorite episode. Why? It shows the Darwinian side of survival during the apocalypse. It's a great moral question: What would you do to survive? Would you injure the slow guy to increase your odds, or would you stick with him and hope that the zombies don't kill you both? One of the most thought-provoking (in my opinion) scenes in the whole series so far.
Shane Did not use a gun to Kill Otis he Used Zombies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
Not to nit pick, but....

Shane doesn't kill Otis. Shane wounds Otis, shooting him the leg, making it so Otis can't outrun Shane or the zombies. The zombies actually kill Otis.

And to stay on the topic of Shane and Otis...what moron walks into a school filled with zombies anyhow? I know they needed the medical supplies to help save Carl, but in that situation I'm going back to the farm and saying "Sorry, but the kid's gonna die. Why? Well, let's see you waltz into a zed-filled school and just pick up some meds."

With that said, that episode is my favorite episode. Why? It shows the Darwinian side of survival during the apocalypse. It's a great moral question: What would you do to survive? Would you injure the slow guy to increase your odds, or would you stick with him and hope that the zombies don't kill you both? One of the most thought-provoking (in my opinion) scenes in the whole series so far.
Yeah, that's sort of a huge nitpick. That's like saying, "I didn't actually kill him, I just left him to die, totally different!" What he did was effectively no different than shooting Otis in the face (which, ironically, would have been more humane than what he actually did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excior View Post
Shane Did not use a gun to Kill Otis he Used Zombies.
"Have you come here for a serious purpose, boy?"

"I have come for a serious purpose, teacher."

"Have you come as an outcast from your father's house?"

"I have come so, teacher."

"Have you come with your chosen weapon?"

"I have come so, teacher."

"What is your weapon?"

"My weapon is zombies, teacher."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excior View Post
Shane Did not use a gun to Kill Otis he Used Zombies.
Interesting. I'm assuming you are implying that he used the zombies in the same sense one would use terrain or a vehicle to their advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
Interesting. I'm assuming you are implying that he used the zombies in the same sense one would use terrain or a vehicle to their advantage?
I don't need to run fast. I just need to run faster than the slowest person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
Interesting. I'm assuming you are implying that he used the zombies in the same sense one would use terrain or a vehicle to their advantage?
It'd be like Shane pushing him in front of a speeding car and saying the car killed him or the driver killed him.. No, it was Shane's fault.. He died as a direct result of Shane's actions.. Maybe he would have died anyway, we'll never know, because Shane killed him..

Anyway, I do agree that's one of the more interesting themes of the Walking Dead (whether you're watching the show, reading the book, or playing the game).. People losing their humanity and doing what ever they must to survive.

I am just looking forward to the Governor. He was my favorite villain in the comics, but he really didn't get enough time in the comics I think. So hoping he wont die off instantaneously in the series. I am also not as huge a fan of Michonne as other people are. So I could care less what happens to her. LOL

Ah yes. Going into the school wasn't the problem, going in with minimalist preparation because they were in a hurry because crisis situation certainly made it worse given that many things can ultimately be defeated if you have enough advanced planning and preparation of the right nature.


The problem was Shane being a complete self serving piece of garbage and not even at least waiting till it was do or die to sacrifice the other person to make sure he personally would get out unscathed. I know a couple of people who would do something like that. They have something in common. There all border line/outright sociopath's. The kind that quite frankly if I had to cross paths with them in a zombie end of the world bit I'd want to either leave the company of asap with out turning my back to them, or shoot strictly as a pre-emptive strike to make sure they don't get the opportunity to pull what Shane pulled in the school given that I know they'll do it at the drop of a hat and the first sign of trouble.

So, no, the idea wasn't "Do I kill him and save myself or do I try to save both of us with a meaningful risk that will both just die?". The idea was to show you that Shane was as much, arguably more, of a threat then the walkers to the group when the chips were down, and to begin laying the ground work for Rick to need to put him down.

Why is he garbage? He did what almost anyone would do in the same setting. He shot Otis, whom almost killed Carl to begin with and which the whole entire thing was all his fault anyways. So he could get the medicines and himself back to Hershel's farm. For wanting to risk everything including his life to save his best friend's son. Rick was like his family before the outbreak and when they thought Rick was dead Lori replaced Shane as Rick and Shane considers Lori and Carl to be his family. Which is why Rick's return snapped his fragile mind.

Also he waited until the last minute and used the very last bullet he had in his gun. They both used all of their bullets running from the hoard and knew they wouldn't escape together. So Shane made a split second decision to give himself the minute he needed to flee. He didn't do it at the first drop of the hat or sign of trouble. He did it as a last resort thing.

You're entitled to your opinion of course man. But I think there are some holes in your logic there. The scene to kill Otis was not to show you how much of a threat Shane was. They did that already with the attempted rape of Lori in the CDC and the aiming of the shotgun in the woods while hunting with Rick and Dale. They showed that scene to help set the tune for the entire season 2. As well to show the moment that Shane snapped and became the psycho he needed to be to survive.

Rick and Shane are essentially opposite sides of the same coin. Shane is the brains when it comes to thinking and actions. WHile Rick is the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
Interesting. I'm assuming you are implying that he used the zombies in the same sense one would use terrain or a vehicle to their advantage?
Guns do not kill people people kill people same thing here Shane killed him his weapon was the zombies he knew what would happen when he did that.





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status       Advertise with us