Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

MnM2e: Time Control?

Time Control?

i noticed in both core rule book and ultimate powers about how you can use time control to speed yourself up or stop everything around you. however what it doesn't say is how to use time control to just slow things down. best description i can give is final fantasy (Haste, Slow, Stop). Is there any way to make Time Control have a 'Slow' effect?

What is the functional difference between speeding yourself up and slowing everyone else down?

your using time to speed you or allies up and using time to slow particular targets down. another way i can describe it is watch the movie "Your Highness" where the Fabious tries to save his fiance from an evil wizard(can't remember his name) as that wizard casts a spell to slow him down while everyone else is moving normally.

Odd ... I thought I posted a clarification last night. Obviously I neglected to hit POST.

Point being, is there a mechanical difference between speeding up your allies and slowing down your enemies? Functionally, the net result is the same: allies move faster than the enemies. I've never played M&M, so I've no idea what the mechanics of the game look like. So my question is this:

Can you achieve the same result using a single set of mechanics and a different bit of fluff, or do you need separate mechanics?

Consider the D&D 3.5 spells Slow and Haste. They replicate what you describe: one slows down enemies, the other speeds up allies. The mechanics, however, are very different and using one or the other in combat will have vastly different tactical implications.

In general I would say that there is a serious mechanical difference if there is more to the world than just those groups of characters. If the allies are sped up, they can carry out multiple actions, and move around. They can't, however, set things into action which will overwhelm the enemies very easily.
If the enemies are slowed down, however, things get more powerful. You can, for instance, block the doors and flood a room. The enemies have much less time to deal with it. The fires you set do damage multiple times before they can extinguish them, for example.
It also depends on where you are. If you are in the heart of their powerbase, you want speed, so you can hit and get away before assistance arrives. If you are in a place which is friendly to you and not them, assistance can be called in, so the balance of power changes.
Overall, I'd say that speeding you up is usually less powerful if you are in a place friendly to you, but good if you are in a place friendly to them. Slowing them down is usually less powerful in a place which is friendly to them, but great in a place friendly to you.
Separate mechanics are therefore necessary.

okay great explanation of how the mechanics of slow works. but how would one create Time-Control "Slow"? pretty much i just feel like that the books made an incomplete power, and since i made a character (which is still in development) with time control capabilities, my mind is going to be stubborn enough to try and make it anyway. so any ideas of how one would make Time Slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
okay great explanation of how the mechanics of slow works. but how would one create Time-Control "Slow"? pretty much i just feel like that the books made an incomplete power, and since i made a character (which is still in development) with time control capabilities, my mind is going to be stubborn enough to try and make it anyway. so any ideas of how one would make Time Slow?
If you make time slow, my guess is that you would make time slow down with respect to yourself (or possibly others in your group if you have the power to extend this to encompass them as well.) This would make you faster, not the enemies slower.
Any power that focuses on yourself is a lot easier to do than one which you extend to multiple people at a distance.

I'm not a 100% sure what you're asking Goran. You could make an area affliction power that paralyzes with the selective trait. That would allow you to slow down (paralyze) only your enemies. Or you could create an area effect Time Control again with selective that allows you to only speed up your allies and thus slow down your enemies.