Notices

Act One : Scene One : OOC

According to the piecemeal armor rules, no it does not cover the legs in pathfinder an armored coat is solely a torso piece. Plus, the kilt adds a +1 to any armor piece other than heavy armor at the cost of considering it as a one step heavier, making the combined kilt+armor worse in nearly every respect than even almost every piece of armor in its new category, so its not even really game-breaking.

...Hm. That makes sense. Though the picture for the Armored Coat seems to imply that past the waist it only goes about halfway down one's hips. But even so, if it were to stack, then you have what's considered heavy armor for a +5 armor bonus to AC, a +3 Max Dex bonus, and a -2 ACP. At that point, you might as well just wear a Breastplate (+6 AC, +3 Max Dex, -4 ACP), because if you're wearing armor and carrying a board, chance are you aren't going to be making with the fancy acrobatics, climbing, or swimming anytime soon.

I am going to note that the rules Luneleck is quoting is a variant rule with about five more tables than I care to bother with.

Rules on armor coat are pretty clear. If worn with a piece of other armor it uses the best value for armor and the worst value for penalties.

Because i have one here it is from Pathfinder.

Armored Coat

This sturdy leather coat is reinforced with metal plates sewn into the lining.

Benefit: More cumbersome than light armor but less effective than most medium armors, the advantage of an armored coat is that a person can don it or remove it as a move action (there is no “don hastily” option for an armored coat). If worn over other armor, use the better AC bonus and worse value in all other categories; an armored coat has no effect if worn with heavy armor. The only magic effects that apply are those worn on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughtrade View Post
the quick answer is, because that is how the rules go.

I'm not in a good position to review the entire combat action sequence but feel free to research it yourself.
I had done it before posting, sorry for not making that clear.

From official Paizo's combat section:

Take 5-foot step

5 Foot StepTake 5-Foot Step
You can move 5 feet in any round when you don't perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can't take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can't take a 5-foot step in the same round that you move any distance.

You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round.

You can only take a 5-foot-step if your movement isn't hampered by difficult terrain or darkness. Any creature with a speed of 5 feet or less can't take a 5-foot step, since moving even 5 feet requires a move action for such a slow creature.

You may not take a 5-foot step using a form of movement for which you do not have a listed speed.

The bolded part says what I said in my first post. I used a move action to draw a weapon but that was not movement (as in going from one place to another).

A Few Points

The SRD and Society Rules are the same wording. I prefer the SRD since I find it easier to search.

The real discussion is what is a movement.

Drawing a weapon is a move equivalent action. The direct quote is 'requires a move action' which means if you have already moved your full value, you could not perform it.

So the rule on the five foot step is not what you needed to look at.

But the rule on Move does define the rule.

"If you take this kind of move action during your turn, you can't also take a 5-foot step."

By specifically noting that 'this kind' of activity denies the five foot step rule they have allowed that other types of 'move action' do allow it.

For the record, before I will quote a rule at someone, I will look at the actual rule. When I said I didn't have time to do better research, I meant looking at the entire combat sequence to find the exceptions.

So yes, you can have the five foot step if you want it.

Manifesting an Ability is still a Full Round Action and cannot be coupled with drawing a weapon and the boot sheath still does not allow a weapon to be drawn as a free action.

Sorry but manifesting a power takes as long as the power description says. In case of demoralize it is a standard action.

Gaining Psionic focus is a full round action. (that provokes AoO).