General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Zombie Inconsistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus75 View Post
I remember watching a movie, I believe it was Land of the Dead, and there was one scene showing the zombies eating dead meat. Like one zombie was holding a severed leg or arm and was eating it corn on the cob style.

Surely that would have gone cold a long time ago.
There'll always be weirdos... even amongst the undead.

Don't zombies have a special sense for living creatures? They always seem to find the main characters, even if they are well hidden, despite the zombies being brainless automatons.

On the other hand, some zombies are thwarted if you dress up like a zombie yourself.

Then there are zombies that go specifically for brains. Perhaps they can detect brain activity? Zombies in the Simpsons are an example of this.

I would say its far more terrifying that the actually IS an protocol to beginning with, for Zombie holocaust...

What comes to someone eating living being horrific, sure. But hey, we eat animals and they eat each other and some occasions they eat humans too. Is that horrific? To me atleast, Risen eating other risen would be more horrific that seeing them eating only living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbender View Post
On the other hand, some zombies are thwarted if you dress up like a zombie yourself.
Zombieland! Bill Murrays cameo, where he dressed as an zombie an walked among them.

In The Walking Dead Webisodes you see two zombies eating from a dead body and as far as I know they were made by folks from the TV team so are probably canon for the show.

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonizio View Post
I would say its far more terrifying that the actually IS an protocol to beginning with, for Zombie holocaust...
In fairness, that was just an assignment that a paramedic student received. "Write a set of protocols." Never said what they had to be on...

These stories rarely have anything to do with zombies. They're just a plot device to explain the apocolyptic setting and constant source of danger for the protagonists. Thus you rarely see any real thought put into why these zombies are the way they are. As a result, trying to rationalize any of it after the fact is simply maddening.

Personally, the shows in which zombies stay largely in tact for months if not years (such as in The Walking Dead), yet are shown to stay alive even without any source of nutrition, leaves only one possible answer: A wizard did it.

.......I would love to see a modern day zombie show that ended with a crazed necromancer wizard who had been around since 0A.D trying to perfect his craft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Fandango View Post
These stories rarely have anything to do with zombies. They're just a plot device to explain the apocolyptic setting and constant source of danger for the protagonists. Thus you rarely see any real thought put into why these zombies are the way they are. As a result, trying to rationalize any of it after the fact is simply maddening.

Personally, the shows in which zombies stay largely in tact for months if not years (such as in The Walking Dead), yet are shown to stay alive even without any source of nutrition, leaves only one possible answer: A wizard did it.
Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing a ZA story that focused on the huge elephant in the room: What happens when the zombies rot away into nothing?

Because let's face it, your average current-day zombie is the result of a disease or plague of some sort that reanimates a part of the brain after death. Which basically means that once that part of the brain decays to a certain extent, there should be no coming back.

Ultimately, you're looking at an epidemic that would die out inside of a year, assuming survivors took steps to properly care for the newly dead.