General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Magician: Raymond E Feist

Magician: Raymond E Feist

Old book- but seriously- holy wow.

I've read this thing maybe 9 times now. It doesn't lose its appeal.

Thomas and Pug are perhaps my two favorite characters of all time in ANY series.

Pug especially- his little "Rain Fire" episode in the arena....Phwoar...

Anyone else love this book/series?

I love that book, and the entire Riftwar Saga in general. (Did you read the other 2 in the series, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon?) Tons more books in that world too. I actually like Silverthorn the best.

I did- all of the books appeal to my sense of a great read (even the co-written ones and I normally hate those)

I don't think I've read a book SINCE Magician that has bested it.

Wheel of Time series comes close but...I just feel R.E created this extremely relatable character in Pug- and kept up his personality right through the series. Macros the Black- can I get some love for him too? lol

Yeah, I love the Feist series. Well, I did for the first 15 books or so. Since the Demonwar I've felt things seem a bit flat somehow. But Magician? Yeah, that's the good stuff right there.

I loved that series as well, and it was the first one I went out of my way to collect the book from once I started working, since I first read them while still at highschool. They will always have a place on my bookcase.

I didn't mind the Empire books, but didn't like the other side stories as much, Jimmy the Hand being the exception.

I haven't read them as much as you yet Warlord, only read the early ones about 6 times, and some of the later books 2-3 times.

I don't think there has been a book that I've read as many times, or enjoyed as much when I've re-read it as much, although a few have come close.

Yah, I read Magician and all the others ... awesome books, and I'd have to say Jimmy the Hand (sorry, Sir Jimmy) comes close to being my favourite

If you want to take a step away from fantasy, I'd recommend the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley -- I've reread all 10 of his books (2 x 5 book series) at least twice each ... the most amazing set of books ... EVER

I loved Feist's books, but I was blown away by Lumley's

Read it relatively recently (haven't read any others yet) and yeah, it was pretty good. For the whole first chapter I was like "huh, this is pretty cliched but kinda cute". Second chapter, wow, it pretty much exploded into awesomeness.

That's like when R.A. Salvatore was at a convention and a Kid walked up to him and asked him something, Salvatore responded with something about a drow with two swords and the kid walked away saying "That's so cliche man"

It's only cliche because he wrote about Drizzt and created the cliche

I've read the series as well. I've loved every book of his that I've been able to get my hands on so far.

Another series that comes to mind is the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. I find that reading the Ranger's Apprentice books reminded me a lot of Pug's story, though without all the magic.

These two guys combined are my favorite authors so far.

I'm with leons... I loved the first six or eight, and after that it was "meh". I don't remember exactly where. But those first ones are magnificent.