Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

US Citizenship Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiegameplayer View Post
Not everyone wants to be a big fat hot dog eating, beer swilling idiot ... some want to retain their identity of where they are from.
Wow, that's a bit of an insulting stereotype.

I'm an Aussie, we love insulting sterotypes

Personally I like Pies ... but they don't do them at sporting events in the US (at least they didn't when I was there ...)

I was making a point, obviously not everyone is like that

Just as everyone who moves to another country shouldn't forget where they are from ... and they won't.

Quote:
Just as everyone who moves to another country shouldn't forget where they are from ... and they won't.
Then why move to America if you're going to pass up on American culture in favor of retaining the culture from the homeland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Then why move to America if you're going to pass up on American culture in favor of retaining the culture from the homeland?
Better economic opportunities, religious freedom, political persecution in the homeland, war, disease, natural disaster, a spouse... I mean really, this post was surprisingly unthoughtful for you Solaris.

Also educational opportunities and so on. Lots of reasons why someone may move to the US. But even when they do, they are still shaped by their past. Should Jews and Muslims start eating pork hotdogs because they are now in the US and that's what people do? Or will they continue following the ways of their past that are compatible with US culture, learn about the US and the cultural elements that are different from the ways they knew from before, and make informed choices?

People generally are who they grew up as -- moving to a new country won't change that (though as MonkWren so astutely put it -- there situation may change for the better).

I've lived at one stage or another on every continent on this fragile planet of ours -- and even trying to fit into the culture doesn't make you a national of that country.

@ Solaris Have you ever moved to another country ??? Or even across the US ???

As I mentioned previously, if you lived on the West Coast and supported sports teams there all your life, moving to the East Coast doesn't mean you instantly forget your supported teams to start supporting where you are now.

A lot of people have beliefs, and moving to the US allows them to follow their beliefs (or escape the awful situation they were in) -- you can't expect them to forget everything about where they came from -- good or bad.

Muggie2's point is also completely right

Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
Better economic opportunities, religious freedom, political persecution in the homeland, war, disease, natural disaster, a spouse... I mean really, this post was surprisingly unthoughtful for you Solaris.
Refugee =/= immigrant applying for citizenship.
If you're applying for citizenship, then evidently you want what America has to offer. A part of that is, in fact, our culture. If you come from the Third World (to use an extreme example) and keep doing the same Third World garbage, you can't be surprised when you get the same results. It's patently absurd to apply for citizenship in a country, and then refuse to adopt anything of that country in favor for what you've left behind. If what you've left behind is what you really wanted, then why leave?

Quote:
@ Solaris Have you ever moved to another country ??? Or even across the US ???
I've been to each continent except Antarctica and Africa. I've been to nearly every state in the Union excepting some of the New England states and California (NTC in the Mojave doesn't count). Try not to be too snobbish when you don't know who and what the other people you're talking to are.

So you've changed your place of residence almost sixty times in your life? That's impressive. How do you afford to move more than twice a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Refugee =/= immigrant applying for citizenship.
If you're applying for citizenship, then evidently you want what America has to offer. A part of that is, in fact, our culture.
Huh, Solaris, America being, you know, the land of the free.. They shouldn't have to give up any of their previous culture/influences or want America's culture staples in order to integrate.