Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Bond, James Bond...

Bond, James Bond...

For discussion of the nearly 60 year old book and film franchise. Please put Skyfall stuff in spoiler tags.

You know, I don't think Ian Fleming would have ever thought his fictional spy would go on for so long.

I'm a big Bond fan. I have of course seen all the films many many times. Except the Dalton movies. Those aren't Bond films. Just cheap knock offs.

The books and the movies are very divergent universes. I haven't read all of the original books, but enough of them to see a man who was not the super hero that the movies created. In many ways, Daniel Craig is more like Ian Fleming's Bond than movie Bond. I do miss having a charming James Bond though. Craig just isn't svelte enough for me.

I think that as of Skyfall Craig might be my favorite bond, but he has had to grow on me. Also the theme did allot to make me like the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcracker View Post
I'm a big Bond fan. I have of course seen all the films many many times. Except the Dalton movies. Those aren't Bond films. Just cheap knock offs.
Now, as a guy who considers The Living Daylights as one of his favourites, I have to disagree with you on that point.

@ Penchant: That's true, although it does head towards the films more later in the Fleming novels - from Thunderball (based on a screenplay) onwards really.

Best Bond by far is Sean Connery. There shouldn't even be a discussion on this.

Second best is Piers Brosnan. Following him are Roger Moore (best ladies-man Bond), and then...well, they don't matter after that.

The Dalton films were both excellent, though I agree he wasnt a great Bond.

Looking forward to Skyfall, hoping to see it this week!

It's such an enduring franchise, it's hard to find people who don't like the films.

George Lazenby made a passable Bond. While he only had one movie, before the changed to another actor, I liked his portrayal of Bond.

Roger Moore was definitely the most sophisticated Bond and his movies played to that strength. I preferred the darker grittier Bond movies. Sean Connery and Daniel Craig were in movies that were much more violent. Daniel Craig’s Bond walked a fine line that almost crossed into the role of a casual killer. He had a high body count in Quantum of Solace and didn’t seem to mind killing people if they would be inconvenient to him. I am really looking forward to seeing Skyfall.

I really need to go watch the movies once. Just buy/rent them all, free up an afternoon, and watch them all.