Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD3.5e: Spells for a trap busting spell turret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhou_Yu View Post
All of those things could, in my opinion, be left as unknown. You could ask similar questions about a longsword, but the spell as I understand it would not discriminate between a longsword with jewels or a longsword made of wood, which then leads me to believe that if one specified only "Potion," one would find the nearest "liquid with healing, magical, or poisonous properties," as per the definition of potions found simply by using google.
We clearly have different understandings of the spell.
The spell as I understand it requires the target item to be either well known or clearly visualized. If you don't know even so much as the shape of the container for the potion, then it is neither well known nor clearly visualized.

Damn good point about the swords, though I wouldn't count poisons as a potion. Mainly because D&D does tend to seperate the 2 a bit.

And yeah, defenitely gonna go with False Life, thank you for suggesting that Tedronai.

Question though, would searching for all potions from a particular maker be dependant on him making all his potions using your last set of examples? Maybe he used the same bottles, but unless he shaped them himself or payed for exclusivity, that would imply a surplus of a particular type of bottle in that area. So there is no garuntee that the found item would be a potion of his making. You could find yourself sifting through tons of bottles of maple syrup or ground spices. All bottled in the wares of a local glass blower.

This has become a very interesting and engaging debate. I'm loving in.

Ack, you posted while I was typing...

Are you basing your interpretations on the spell as presented in the SRD, or in the Player's Handbook?

Because as I said, the players handbook has an expanded definition of the spells use, and mentions that more general search parameters can be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kobold View Post
I suspect no such thing! I do think potions is a valid search filter.

Those parameters, a particular potion, particular types of potions, and potions by a particular maker, are in fact more complex of a request then just "potion"!

Its like asuming a kid cant find all the pennies in a jar of coins, but that he can find all the pennies minted in a specific state or during a specific year.

Your assumed limitations of the spell are actually making the spell do more!
Only if you define a potion conceptually. Defined by external, easily detectable traits, you'd go from, "brown liquid held in a round glass vial labelled 'Bull's Strength'"

to

"brown liquid held in a round glass vial labelled 'Bull's Strength'"
or
"orange liquid held in a round pewter flask"
or
"clear, viscuous liquid held in a water bag"
or
"clear liquid held in a flat bottle"
or
and so on, for every combination of colour, viscosity, container, smell, and any other trait that would fit any individual potions but would not fit any individual unit of any other liquid in the entire world.

EDIT: Though I'm not saying the spell doesn't actually do that. I'm just saying the question whether it does more or less depends on whether you decide it selects by empirical or intentional parameters - and that depends on the individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kobold View Post
Ack, you posted while I was typing...

Are you basing your interpretations on the spell as presented in the SRD, or in the Player's Handbook?

Because as I said, the players handbook has an expanded definition of the spells use, and mentions that more general search parameters can be used.
I've been using the SRD, which does have a clause for 'general items', but that clause does not contain any exception to the requirements for familiarity or clarity of visualization.

Yes, my reference to potions made by an individual was shorthand for potions made with a particular set of qualities that might be sufficiently distinguishable to avoid that maple syrup issue.