Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Build-a-Villian

Build-a-Villian

working on an endgame villain for my marvel noir campaign and looking for some ideas for the setup, I'll put some details of whats been going on

Characters are recruited by US government as agents to "solve" cases involving supernatural circumstances

This villain is acting as a broker for ancient deities (so far they've encountered ancient Babylonian, and Celtic mythologies) making large sums of money by bringing the deities and prospective supporters into contact.

Motivated by profit and revenge

was originally a level 7 (this is HUGE in this instance) adept for the current agency the characters now work for, the leadership initially thought he was dead.

Characters only have an inkling that someone is pulling strings

Communicates by alluvian (mirror) whereabouts unknown

I hope to hear some good ideas of how to slowly shift him into gameplay for the characters. As well a certain capabilities he may have. I have about a month and a half till endgame so talk to me soon!

Personally, he sounds like a brain to me. You have to figure that dumb-muscles isn't likely to know enough about ancient religion to contact forgotten gods.

Perhaps he was something like an archeologist (the real kind) when it started. As he had more dealings with these dieties, it started to go beyond money and into the realm of power, divine power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplehighlander View Post
This villain is acting as a broker for ancient deities (so far they've encountered ancient Babylonian, and Celtic mythologies) making large sums of money by bringing the deities and prospective supporters into contact.
Communicates by alluvian (mirror) whereabouts unknown

What if those "alluvians" or mirror were portals to alternate dimensions, for example the dimensions where those ancients deities were "sleeping"?
What I have in mind is a final battle where the BBEG is moving from one dimension to the other every 2 minutes or so. Each time, a new dangerous environment: a swamp with swarms of mosquitoes, a desert, a blizzard, a cliff, etc. Or perhaps the characters randomly age/get younger each time they pass a mirror.

As previously stated this villain sounds to be a brain, not brawn. Maybe he pulls them into his mind via an alluvian, throws mirror images of himself at them, turns them against each other by making mirror images of themselves, inspires immense vanity or self loathing through mirrors in this mind realm, and for the grand finale splits them up into twisted reflections of their own lives, but filled with all their personal doubts, fears, and demons.