Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Sandy's political fallout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
I can't call people crazy anymore? Even when they are?
I require citations for that diagnosis, or retract the statement as being unnecessarily antagonistic and the exact opposite of conducive towards discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
I require citations for that diagnosis, or retract the statement as being unnecessarily antagonistic and the exact opposite of conducive towards discussion.
Can I just name names?

Of the top of my head: Richard Mourdock, John Koster, Todd Aiken, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich.
And if you can't figure out why, there's no point in having the discussion.

That's not a citation, that's narrowing it down to a small number of people you're insulting. Proof of diagnosis, or you're right - there is no point in this discussion, as you've no ground whatsoever to stand on.

They might not be crazy. It's possible that they might be fully cognizant of the rift between their espoused beliefs and the true nature of reality and simply perpetuating their seeming insanity as part of a willfull deception perpetrated upon the world.

Quote:
Obamacare.
Of a sort. It's sad that it used to be a Republican plan, yet it was challenged on basis of constitutionality. Still, 20 years and one important, long term policy ain't that spectacular, especially one as whittled down as Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
That's not a citation, that's narrowing it down to a small number of people you're insulting. Proof of diagnosis, or you're right - there is no point in this discussion, as you've no ground whatsoever to stand on.
You honestly cannot see why those particular people are singled out as being not right in the mind by millions of people, regardless of their political affiliation?

Quote:
You honestly cannot see why those particular people are singled out as being not right in the mind by millions of people, regardless of their political affiliation?
They hold beliefs I disagree with. That does not make them crazy. If that were true, then Obama and half of the people on this forum would be crazy, too.

Solaris, I'm not particularly familiar with the full details of all of those individuals, but I am given to believe that at least some of them hold beliefs that REALITY disagrees with. That DEMONSTRABLE FACT disagrees with. Some might be generous and equate that with insanity. Rather than the alternative, being evil.

Quote:
Again, far leftist weighing in here, and I'm sorry, but Solaris is absolutely right. Personally attacking people isn't helping anyone. Richard Mourdock isn't exactly my cup of tea, especially since he seems to really want to control my uterus, but he's not insane. He just has vastly, vastly different points of view than I do on just about every issue in existence.

Attacking people personally just because they have different viewpoints than we do helps nobody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Solaris, I'm not particularly familiar with the full details of all of those individuals, but I am given to believe that at least some of them hold beliefs that REALITY disagrees with. That DEMONSTRABLE FACT disagrees with. Some might be generous and equate that with insanity. Rather than the alternative, being evil.
Instead of wrong?
I've seen people insist that 10 + 10 x 0 + 10 must equal anything other than 20. Does that make them crazy, too?