Notices


Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.


US Presidential Election Results thread

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Which bill are you talking about?
Please excuse the liberal source.

Also, no comment on Lilly Ledbetter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
Please excuse the liberal source.

Also, no comment on Lilly Ledbetter?
Hey, if 6 federal programs aimed at employing veterans aren't working why not make up a 7th right? If Obama's VOW To Hire Heroes Act passed less than a year previous to this wasn't working they should have maybe focused on why their previous efforts were failing instead of just adding yet another Federal program on to the backs of taxpayers. That's assuming they were serious, they weren't. It was a quickie bill aimed at getting R's to vote against Veterans before the campaign season began in earnest.

Lilly Ledbetter doesn't make anything illegal that wasn't previously illegal. It only allows lawsuits to go forward LONG after the offense has occurred and stopped. I think a statute of limitations on offenses is generally a good idea and don't think it's wise to allow lawsuits decades after pay differences stopped.

You'll note that it does not in fact do that Ben. The Act merely allows suit to be filed within 180 days of any evidence of discriminatory pay, not merely the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Hey, if 6 federal programs aimed at employing veterans aren't working why not make up a 7th right? If Obama's VOW To Hire Heroes Act passed less than a year previous to this wasn't working they should have maybe focused on why their previous efforts were failing instead of just adding yet another Federal program on to the backs of taxpayers. That's assuming they were serious, they weren't. It was a quickie bill aimed at getting R's to vote against Veterans before the campaign season began in earnest.
Didn't have the same budget, and again, we can say it's paid for by taxpayers, but the money would be borrowed, just like the wars that these veterans served in that cost 80000% more. We can borrow money to get these people killed, but not to reward them when they come home? I'm sorry, but the GOP's new role as the party of fiscal responsibility only works if you have a very, very, very, very short term memory.

Quote:
Lilly Ledbetter doesn't make anything illegal that wasn't previously illegal. It only allows lawsuits to go forward LONG after the offense has occurred and stopped. I think a statute of limitations on offenses is generally a good idea and don't think it's wise to allow lawsuits decades after pay differences stopped.
That's not true. So again, why is Romney not coming out for this bill? Why is he making some pretty offensive statements about women needing flexible work schedules so they can go home and take care of their families? I'm forced to believe that no matter what he's saying, he's not for equal pay.

Edit: Nevermind, it's OT to diverge too much from the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Edit: Nevermind, it's OT to diverge too much from the OP.
The original post can't even be discussed until tomorrow.

It's fine, I don't mind explaining my position once or twice but after that I'd rather it was split into a new topic or something instead of cluttering it up for people who come here for election analysis instead of a discussion about the merits and flaws of statutes of limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
I'm sure they do. But then I never said they were unworthy of being liked. Just that they don't tend to perform meaningful target confirmation (even as compared to other military operators with whom I have sometimes been known to take objection). I also understant that this problem has far more to do with their commanders than it does with the actual operators, but it is the operators who carry out the policies the result of which is indiscriminate murder.

edit: but let's not derail yet another thread with this debate and just leave it as a difference of opinion, shall we?
That was like as in 'such as actual drone operators might object', not a... command that you like drone operators. I mean, I'm an actual part of that target confirmation process and a unit instructor on the Shadow, so I know a little bit more than the layman on the subject.

But you're right, it's quite off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
But you're right, it's quite off-topic.
Exactly....
Democrats. Republicans. Obama. Romney. At the end of the day, it's important to remember the biggest thing this Tuesday
The release of Halo 4.
will be remembered for.....

First Results are in - Dixville Notch has gone 5 for Obama and 5 for Romney. Last time was 15 Obama, 6 McCain. With a loss of 2/3rds of his supporters and only 1/6th of Republican voters I think we can safely extrapolate this across the Country and welcome President Romney as our next President. He will serve alongside such other esteemed figures in our nation's history such as President Bob Dole and President Hubert Humphrey. (every other election they got right)





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Blog   Myth-Weavers Status