Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

US on the Verge of Legalizing Cannabis?

I would envisage the same rules for MJ as for tobacco in terms of paying taxes on it and where you can smoke; same rules as alcohol in terms of operating machinery, supplying to underage and so on.

Will the Federal government continue to go after pot in CO? They have been raiding medicinal marijuana dispensaries yet so it'll be interesting to see if it changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Will the Federal government continue to go after pot in CO? They have been raiding medicinal marijuana dispensaries yet so it'll be interesting to see if it changes.
You know, I'm a little fuzzy on the legality here. Can they go after dispensaries once they have legal documents from the state? I imagine that if they stay within the limits of the law, they're safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
You know, I'm a little fuzzy on the legality here. Can they go after dispensaries once they have legal documents from the state? I imagine that if they stay within the limits of the law, they're safe.
Short answer, yes.

Long AnswerGonzales v. Raich (previously Ashcroft v. Raich), 545 U.S. 1 (2005), was a decision by the United States Supreme Court ruling that under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution, the United States Congress may criminalize the production and use of home-grown cannabis even where states approve its use for medicinal purposes.

More complete: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Short answer, yes.

Long AnswerGonzales v. Raich (previously Ashcroft v. Raich), 545 U.S. 1 (2005), was a decision by the United States Supreme Court ruling that under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution, the United States Congress may criminalize the production and use of home-grown cannabis even where states approve its use for medicinal purposes.

More complete: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich
Thank you, sir, for clearing that up. I wish it was better news, though.

The Commerce Clause is what allows them to ban or pass a whole bunch of crap at the Federal level even if the States want otherwise. Whether you decide not to buy health insurance, to to grow pot for your own personal consumption they've decided that they're allowed to regulate it because it's interstate commerce.

I'm not entirely sure why people are so anti-weed. I know a lot of people who smoke it. Of them only one has ever gone into harder drugs.

Benifits to legallizing:
* Tax revenue.
* Can controll the quality, so that you don't get stuff that's been laced/tampered with.
* Less taxes spent on prisoners because there would be less prisoners.
* Increase sale of munchy foods

Downsides:
* Same problems that come with other allready-legal drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
Clearly, we must alert Adam Kokesh and the internet libertarians.
And vote in federalist judges who take a stern view towards the commerce clause being so broad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultima22689 View Post
Absolutely no operating heavy machinery, driving and even flying may be ok if one is not heavily stoned
No, 'fraid I'll have to disagree here. If you can't drive buzzed, you shouldn't be allowed to drive just a little stoned. You can't legally fly an aircraft if you've had any alcohol at all within the last eight hours (twelve if military flight). Both are, after all, somewhat more lethal to other people than most heavy machinery.