Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

US on the Verge of Legalizing Cannabis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
And since I don't smoke and don't have any friends I'm close enough to who do smoke regularly... how much should a joint (or pack, etc) cost after taxes, etc are all factored in? Sold singly like cigars, packs like cigs, bulk unrolled like pipe tobacco?
Along those lines, it would probably be prudent to allow users to grow their own. Say up to three plants (with a height limit 12-18" - just a speculative number I pulled out of...) for personal use. More than and there might be sufficient grounds for growing for the purposes of trafficking. Each state would have to come up with a number that works. But my point is, if users cultivate their own, then that will hurt traffickers more than anything. Its better than continuing a 30+ year old losing war against foliage.

I think Proposition 64 limits an individual to 5 pounds. Anymore than that is criminal... I have no clue how many plants it takes to get 5 pounds but as someone who smoked all day everyday in the year or so after high school that would probably last a good year at least.

I live in CO and unfortunately the law doesn't take effect until next year. It will definitely be interesting to see how it is distributed, though. I imagine dispensaries will convert to handle the customer base and the plethora of head shops will as well. It is a little harder to see the corner Shell stations peddling fatties though.

Word has it two states chose to legalize it.

With respect to driving (or flying) stoned, I have to agree with Solaris. Anything that takes the edge off your reactions when driving or flying should be discouraged. Both require that you be in control and quick to react to unexpected situations - failure to do so endangers the life of not just yourself but the lives of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjowolf View Post
Mass did too.
That's medical. CO was recreational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggie2 View Post
With respect to driving (or flying) stoned, I have to agree with Solaris. Anything that takes the edge off your reactions when driving or flying should be discouraged. Both require that you be in control and quick to react to unexpected situations - failure to do so endangers the life of not just yourself but the lives of others.
I have seen people who can operate motor vehicles while they were stoned and you would never know it. However I completely agree that it should be treated no differently than alcohol and certain prescription drugs.

I wonder. What is the next level of drug (in strength, dependence-creation, detrimental effects), upwards, that will follow, in being legalized? Believe me, I'm not being facetious; I'm really wondering. Meth, Cocaine, what? Just seems that the acceptance of marijuana will usher other drugs into the fold. I really don't care, just find it interesting; it doesn't matter what drug it is, if you drive and seriously injure me or one of my family, I'll drag you out of the car, you can fill in the blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricolus View Post
I wonder. What is the next level of drug (in strength, dependence-creation, detrimental effects), upwards, that will follow, in being legalized? Believe me, I'm not being facetious; I'm really wondering. Meth, Cocaine, what? Just seems that the acceptance of marijuana will usher other drugs into the fold. I really don't care, just find it interesting; it doesn't matter what drug it is, if you drive and seriously injure me or one of my family, I'll drag you out of the car, you can fill in the blank.
That's a big if, in comparison to all the other drugs, marijuana is hardly dangerous in comparison to cocaine and meth, or ecstasy and any other drug used for recreational purposes. I doubt you're going to see people deciding that we need to make METH legal anytime soon or ever.