Steampunk and Magic

Old Nov 6 '12, 12:10am
Department Head, TOAST R&D

Steampunk and Magic

Steampunk and Magic - Forum
GURPS
Estimated Members Requested: 5

About Me:

Hi, I'm Schilcote, and I've been GMing GURPS for quite a while now- and GMing other systems for even longer! I can generally be counted on for at least a post a day, often more, and I ought not have to drop any games now, since Real Life seems to have evened out for now. So don't be worried that I'll leave after you spent all that time and effort drawing up a sheet.

This Looks Interesting, But I Don't Have GURPS...

Woah, hang on a sec! One of the neatest things about GURPS is that you don't actually need the core rulebooks to play it as long as the GM has them. Instead, you can download the GURPS Lite pamphlet which contains the basic information you'll need to play, though you'll need some assistance setting up your character. The free, open source GURPS Character Sheet program will help as well.

Feel free to ask any questions you may wish.

Game Description:

Full title is "Steampunk and Magic, Mustachioed Mechanics, and Other Exotic Brilliances"

Vital Statistics:

System: GURPS 4th Edition (+Mass Combat, Magic, Space)
TL: 7
Starting Wealth: 15,000
Point Level: 125 (-50)
Estimated Length: Medium (>6 months)
Combat/Social: Balanced, biased towards social.

----

Since the dawn of time, a a minority of men have had the capacity to control forces far beyond their understanding. These men (and women, on occasion) are known as wizards. For the first seven-hundred years of mankind's development, the greatest wizards were in control. However, the Renaissance and the resultant disruption of the feudal system threw their power into question- many more people could perform feats of magic if they had the education. The magical kings men submitted to were nothing more than normal people who happened to be born into wealthy families. This coincided with the ascendance of King George I to the English throne, who quite frankly didn't care at all. Thus, Parliament became stronger, and soon the monarch was, though still influential, not in direct control of much of anything.

The year is now 1890.

Her Majesty the Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom has summoned a group of adventurers from around the world for an unknown, but urgent reason. You have responded to this summons.

----

Originally Posted by Reemos View Post
Steam punk.... magic....

So... how would a gal go about making a steampunk-ish battle suit/mech with gears and gizmos and smoke stacks and all?
You can buy it as gear as the GM mentioned, you can also buy it as powers/advantages with character points. If you want some help I'd be more than happy. While I don't plan on applying for this game myself I am more than willing to help anyone that would like to learn how to play GURPS. The larger the player base the more GURPS games there can be, right?

I'd love to play but I don't have the GURPS books so I'll have to ask for your help, fearless GM.

I'd love to play a debutante sorceress.

Sounds cool. (tabs to dictionary.com)

So, what exactly do you need? I can design a basic working character+spell set that you can put the finishing touches on.

How would you feel about a loyalist/royalist (gung ho for the monarchy) leader of a street gang? I'm thinking lots of street-level skills, contacts and the like, good with a knife or a sap, that sort of thing.

Yup, sounds good.

Avian: I've decided to base your character on Ada Lovelace, if that's alright with you. Minus the terminal cancer, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabre View Post
You can buy it as gear as the GM mentioned, you can also buy it as powers/advantages with character points. If you want some help I'd be more than happy. While I don't plan on applying for this game myself I am more than willing to help anyone that would like to learn how to play GURPS. The larger the player base the more GURPS games there can be, right?
I'm pretty sure I could figure something out.
Thinking maybe grabbing a Battlesuit(with helmet)with a pintle mounted cannon(either a Lantaka or a swivel gun, both from GURPS:low tech) and a Large shield attatched to the arms of the battle suit. Have the Battlesuit increase my SM to +1, or +2 depending, while wearing it. Wanting it to be something simular to this:

This, of course, requires me to spend points on wealth to be able to afford all of this stuff.

Sounds good.

I can tell already that this is going to be a good game.

Actually thinking of making a mechanical man. It's just that character creation always takes me so long for GURPS.