Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
What's to stop me from marrying everyone I know for tax benefits? Time?
Imagine the tax code?

Married, filing independently.
Married, filing jointly
Married in triple, filing as two the other as 1.
Married to 54, filing as 50 with 4 filing in quadruple,...

Ugh...

Quote:
That's why I said the government would have to treat everyone as individuals

Quote:
Generally, filing singly provides more benefits than filing jointly.

Shoot, you want fair? I'm not getting married at all. Other people shouldn't get the benefits of marriage because it's unfair to me.

It still amazes me that the kneejerk crowd opposes gay marriage. I'm a devout Christian and I personally believe gay marriage is a sin. Thus, I'm not going to marry a dude. This being a free country (and Christianity itself being a religion wherein freedom of choice and free will is a major tenet of the belief system, to the point that God would rather you have free will in hell than all of us be slaves in heaven) it boggles my mind that people still insist the standards of one religion be applied to everyone in the secular realm.

I agree with that. The important part in my marriage was making vows before God and to my wife in front of family and friends. Signing the papers was just a formality after. It's no skin off my back if people want to stick the same label on it for legal reasons.

Polygamy is a different issue than gay marriage though. It's easy enough to allow gay marriage without transforming the entire legal framework.

I'll just second Solaris and Lord Ben.

Gay Marriiage = Okay
More then two folk = No
Am I okay with folks who are gay and lesbian? Yes.
Do I think if someone got a transgender switch over, should they be legally required to tell me about that before i get married, Yes.

Why? Because I think being attracted to someone by choice is a personal thing be it you were born that way or not. Wanting to change your gender I think has a bigger chance of being a mental issue rather then a " I was born this way* issue. An if you are unwilling to tell that to the person you " love", well is a good cop out to divorce someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Shoot, you want fair? I'm not getting married at all. Other people shouldn't get the benefits of marriage because it's unfair to me.

It still amazes me that the kneejerk crowd opposes gay marriage. I'm a devout Christian and I personally believe gay marriage is a sin. Thus, I'm not going to marry a dude. This being a free country (and Christianity itself being a religion wherein freedom of choice and free will is a major tenet of the belief system, to the point that God would rather you have free will in hell than all of us be slaves in heaven) it boggles my mind that people still insist the standards of one religion be applied to everyone in the secular realm.
I don't really get it either, but then, I'm a Kinsey ~5.8 atheist, so, you know, I'm not really supposed to get it. Your position is extremely refreshing to hear, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolfer
Wanting to change your gender I think has a bigger chance of being a mental issue rather then a " I was born this way* issue.
I'd argue that nobody wants to change their gender, they want to change their sex to match the gender that they feel they are. Your gender identity is based on a lot more than your physical characteristics. I don't think anyone should legally be required to tell you they suffered from a disorder and underwent a medical procedure to make them feel more comfortable with their own being. I do, however, think that you should probably get to know a person and their history before you marry them.

As an atheist, I find marriage much more abstract. Hearing Solaris' argument sells me on eliminating the concept of marriage altogether. You can always get healthcare now anyway (or soon, at least, but let's not get into this).

I'm not even sure what a Kinsey ~5.8 atheist is :o

My own situation is that I really don't have a situation. I have my goals that I work toward, such as one day building my boat (an early 19th century ship's boat done 20 - 30 feet long that can be used for multi-week sailing trips) and having enough money to be able to use said boat. Marriage only enters into as an "if it happens" sort of thing. (Which I've fortunately avoided thus far, as marriages tend to have kids which are known causes of postponement of dreams )