General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Your favorite "Clever" moments in media.

Though ironically... The blast from a missile can provide the localized compressive force needed to forge something.

I think they did that on Mythbusters once in fact.

My favourite is probably a line from Terry Pratchett (who was very good at having characters be incredibly smart by choosing the blindly obvious solution).

Basically, a bunch of retired barbarian adventurers (who only retired because it's hard to storm an evil temple on your own when your arthritis is playing up) are in the process of storming the Agatean Empire (fantasy china), when they run into a crack team of the Emperor's ninjas, who leap out from the alcoves and do the stereotypical flashy hand-waving attacks, finishing by punching a chunk of stone out from the wall. To this, one of the barbarians goes "okay, I got this" goes up to one of the ninjas and starts waving his fists around in pseudo-kung-fu.

"Alright then, you watching this hand? Watching this hand? You watching it?"

Ninja assassin gives an amused "yes"

"Good" (kicks him in the groin) "Because you should have been watching this foot."

Everyone talking about the Judge is missing the point. They didn't kill him with the new modern weapon that hadn't been accounted for in the prophecy. They just did a much more thorough job of the previous solution. Instead of chopping him into parts they blasted him to tiny bits.

As for clever, how about most Barenaked Ladies songs?

Clever is media. Just about any line Garrus Vakarian says in Mass Effect 2 and 3. I don't remember Mass Effect 1 well enough but I wouldn't be suprised if he had some good lines there as well.

I also thought Optimus's line in the third Transformers movie was good.

Megatron: "What would you be without me?"
Optimus: "Lets find out!"

The first Indiana Jones movie: a scimitar-wielding swordsman confronts our hero and puts on an impressively threatening display. Indy rolls his eyes and simply fires his pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaBear View Post
The first Indiana Jones movie: a scimitar-wielding swordsman confronts our hero and puts on an impressively threatening display. Indy rolls his eyes and simply fires his pistol.
That was actually an improvised moment.

They had a huge fight scene planned out and choreographed, but when it came time to film it, the majority of the actors and film crew had the runs from drinking the local water. That apparently meant that they couldn't wear their pants very long. So Harrison Ford told Stephen Spielberg that he should "Just shoot the f^@ker".

Definitely a clever moment, equally in filming, as in character.