Notices

House Rules

There is a lack of curiosity regarding the East in most Arkadian's minds; this comes partly from national pride and partly from distance. There are several fractious states in the East, and by the time you've learned the name of one king of one country odds are high he's dead by the time you write a letter back to him.

The princess is from Hapsburg, and is a younger daughter of the (current) royal family. The chances of her recieving aid from her family once she enters Akrdia are slim at best. The Hapsburgs speak Illuman and Hapsburgian.

What do you picture as the Favored Weapons and any human-like context for your deities? I have to pick a side either way (even though Andra will worship both) for mechanical reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving View Post
There is a lack of curiosity regarding the East in most Arkadian's minds; this comes partly from national pride and partly from distance. There are several fractious states in the East, and by the time you've learned the name of one king of one country odds are high he's dead by the time you write a letter back to him.

The princess is from Hapsburg, and is a younger daughter of the (current) royal family. The chances of her recieving aid from her family once she enters Akrdia are slim at best. The Hapsburgs speak Illuman and Hapsburgian.
I'm going to call you out on this. During the reign of Ivan the 4th, Siberia is first colonized, and there was some wars with the people descending from the various nomadic peoples, including the mongols as well. So I would propose that some people, as well as the tzar himself, are in fact trying to press eastwards, even though it's not what occupies the minds of most peoples.

Granted, but there are a few other factors at work behind my decision.

One, this setting's actually a historical mishmash. The Frost Queen is also directly rooted in history; she is a great woman in Russia's history (hint, hint). That Russian queen had little to no support from her native country, mainly due to bad choices by her parents which I don't want to deal with in this setting.

Two, I am executing a bit of DM fiat. I want the focus to be on Arkadia as strongly as possible, and I want to shut down the idea of Katarina's parents for help when things get tough before it even starts. The Frost Queen needs to have native allies if she's going to survive, which means the PCs are on their own (and I know you're all more than capable of helping her. )

Ouch. So much for my Weapon Focus class feature...

Oh well.

Let's make this easy. I'll give you the proficiency with the weapon along with the focus as a freebie.

Well the Focus is a class feature of the Favored Soul (level 4 class feat), so it is free. I had just pictured her as a bit more of a finesse fighter. No big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving View Post
Granted, but there are a few other factors at work behind my decision.

One, this setting's actually a historical mishmash. The Frost Queen is also directly rooted in history; she is a great woman in Russia's history (hint, hint). That Russian queen had little to no support from her native country, mainly due to bad choices by her parents which I don't want to deal with in this setting.

Two, I am executing a bit of DM fiat. I want the focus to be on Arkadia as strongly as possible, and I want to shut down the idea of Katarina's parents for help when things get tough before it even starts. The Frost Queen needs to have native allies if she's going to survive, which means the PCs are on their own (and I know you're all more than capable of helping her. )
You're only thinking about the west now. I asked about the east

Whoops. Got my directions confused.

There's nothing of interest to the East. Really. I mean, there were some ancient empires out there, and there are still raiders who live on the steppe and occasionally raid more civilized lands. But no one in their right mind would deal with those folk, and there's nothing out in those ruins worth looking for. Honest. I promise. Seriously.