Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Is political punditry tearing apart the nation?

Is political punditry tearing apart the nation?

Here's my beef with FOX News and other hardcore political pundits, on either side of the aisle:

After Obama reelection, coal company CEO reads prayer to staff, announces layoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prayer
Dear Lord:

The American people have made their choice. They have decided that America must change its course, away from the principals of our Founders. And, away from the idea of individual freedom and individual responsibility. Away from capitalism, economic responsibility, and personal acceptance.

We are a Country in favor of redistribution, national weakness and reduced standard of living and lower and lower levels of personal freedom.

My regret, Lord, is that our young people, including those in my own family, never will know what America was like or might have been. They will pay the price in their reduced standard of living and, most especially, reduced freedom.

The takers outvoted the producers. In response to this, I have turned to my Bible and in II Peter, Chapter 1, verses 4-9 it says, “To faith we are to add goodness; to goodness, knowledge; to knowledge, self control; to self control, perseverance; to perseverance, godliness; to godliness, kindness; to brotherly kindness, love.”

Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corp. for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build. We ask for your guidance in this drastic time with the drastic decisions that will be made to have any hope of our survival as an American business enterprise.

Amen.
The guy's got a right to layoff his employees, and he's free to blame it on anything he wants. However, if he truly believes that an Obama re-election means that we as a nation have chosen to move "away from the idea of individual freedom and individual responsibility. Away from capitalism, economic responsibility, and personal acceptance." and towards "redistribution, national weakness and reduced standard of living and lower and lower levels of personal freedom", and that those things necessitate his laying off workers he wouldn't have otherwise laid off, I blame the hyperbole of political punditry.

Political pundits don't have jobs if they can't stir up interest in what they have to say. It's most lucrative for them to indicate the presence of controversy, for them to stir up hysteria, and for them to make things out to be worse than they are. When people (entertainment consumers) start believing pundits to be anything more than the talking head shills making a buck that they are, those entertainment consumers make decisions that affect people's lives based on emotions and incomplete information.

The coal company may very well need to lay people off, and it may very well have not needed to had Romney been elected and followed through on his campaign rhetoric. There's no way for us to know.

But conducting those terminations with the heavy rhetoric of political extremism is, IMO, a problem.

~*~

Separate from my point about punditry, related to workers.

Somebody on Reddit had this quote, which was attributed to Lincoln's 1861 State of the Union address: "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

In the address is a comment more relevant to my earlier assertion: "A disloyal portion of the American people have during the whole year been engaged in an attempt to divide and destroy the Union."

I'm of the opinion that pundits need to be held accountable for the effects of their hyperbole.

How?

furthermore, what is going to happen to this CEO when his BOD finds out he is more interested in making political speaches than producing coal?

The prayer was only half

Meeting NotesWhat I foresee in America
Staff Meeting November 7, 2012

1. Drastically reduced economic activity
2. Reduced electric power consumption
3. Drastically reduced coal markets w/worse coal pricing
4. Total destruction of the coal industry by 2030
5. Enactment of 12 EPA regs alone, by the Obama Administration
6. Per Sen Imhoffe: 3 regs on greenhouse gas, MACT & coal ash will cost USA 600 billion
7. Likely a carbon tax will be forced to subsidize the government and “receivers” (Obama supporters) in the total destruction of the coal industry, as early as 2030.
8. All coal companies are performing drastically worse than their CEO’s and boards want to report and this is understandable with their concerns for stock prices/refinancing.
9. Most public companies will not be able to continue to emphasize any positive they had, while avoiding the negatives in their statements and opinions.
10. The markets will soon take away this ability from these public CEO’s/directors
11. Of course private companies will abandon this industry
12. We must prepare for this today and we cannot bleed cash waiting for competitors to be eliminated.
13. We must totally go into survival mode and generate all of the cash that we can from whatever we have left that can help us.
14. We must tear down all structures of Murray Energy and reassemble them.
15. While putting Murray Energy into a survival mode, I will be fighting allegations from radical Obama supporters, that you know are blatantly false and were inspired only to shut down opposition to them on behalf of our employees, your area and our country.
16. We must be passionate and austere in all that we do.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/story/ne...#ixzz2BlH7bdTM

You don't start a business and expand it to 3000 people by failing to plan ahead. Obama has been vocal in his opposition to coal, new regulations are in place to start during his second term that now won't be stopped. Nothing wrong with planning ahead. This will happen all over the country soon. A farmer down the road for me just laid 4 people off this week and sold off all his cattle and begun the process of finalizing on the land. His farm is his retirement pay and the tax on it is going from 15 to 20% Jan 1st. That 5% difference is several years of retirement pay and a significant chunk of his retirement and a bigger difference than selling the farm in tact after Jan 1st. This story, apart from the prayer and political message, is going to be repeated thousands of times in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
How?
I'm assuming this is directed at my statement that pundits should be held accountable for their hyperbole.

Since any attempts to require them to be more truthful/factual will meet with opposition on the basis of right to free speech, I'm going to suggest gladiatorial conflict. Make them defend their points of view with morningstars and chariots. It needn't be to the death. First blood will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
You don't start a business and expand it to 3000 people by failing to plan ahead. Obama has been vocal in his opposition to coal, new regulations are in place to start during his second term that now won't be stopped. Nothing wrong with planning ahead. This will happen all over the country soon. A farmer down the road for me just laid 4 people off this week and sold off all his cattle and begun the process of finalizing on the land. His farm is his retirement pay and the tax on it is going from 15 to 20% Jan 1st. That 5% difference is several years of retirement pay and a significant chunk of his retirement and a bigger difference than selling the farm in tact after Jan 1st. This story, apart from the prayer and political message, is going to be repeated thousands of times in the next few weeks.
Sure. The fact of the matter is that coal sales are being offset by increases in natural gas, and Obama's push for "cleaner energy" is going to have an impact on coal. In many senses, it's a declining industry, and he was clearly putting his chips in hoping for a Romney victory and that Romney would live up to his promises to support coal.

Layoffs may have been an inevitability regardless of who was elected, a function of economic reality. Things may be worse for coal under Obama, and the CEO may even legitimately lay the need for immediate layoffs at Obama's feet.

But this over-the-top rhetoric is absurd. The man's got a right to his opinion, but to the degree that his business perspective and decision-making is influenced by the hardline rhetoric of political pundits, I think the professional talking classes should be held accountable for their contributions to the failure of our society. They're at least as culpable as the "Takers".

Thanks for supplying the additional info. I wasn't aware of it, and it's nice to see.

Panic, fear, terror! Isolated anecdotes and microcosms of the spiteful, bitter, and hysterical few are the rule, not the exception! The unholy tyranny of Anti-Christ Obama presages our imminent descent into communism, aids, economic oblivion and the NWO sponsored UN apocalypse! When a minority of weak, regressive and outmoded businesses fail or decline, we are clearly faced with indisputable proof of the end times to come.

I guess if it's going to be that kind of thread I'll just let you enjoy it in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
I guess if it's going to be that kind of thread I'll just let you enjoy it in peace.
Are you new here?

That kind of thread? You mean the kind you tirelessly pollute with a vapid 'minority report' of foreboding anecdotes that have questionable merit/relevance, and prognostications of liberal doom without meaningful statistics to actually back anything of what you say up on a macro scale? I don't think the causation for my response or its tone is in any way a mystery. Make arguments with verifiable large scale facts, not alarmist microcosms no one here can possibly disprove or challenge, aside from pointing out the obvious that exceptions aren't the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlictoatl View Post
I'm going to suggest gladiatorial conflict. Make them defend their points of view with morningstars and chariots. It needn't be to the death. First blood will do.
As if any combat involving morningstars is going to be to anything other than the death, especially when chariots are added.
Love those things, but they are nasty nasty weapons!