404 Error: Title Not Found

Over-complicated PF Gestalt

Twice of Half As Much - Forum
Pathfinder
Ad Closes: Nov 30 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 6

*Please post apps in this thread*

I expect players to post 3x a week.

Contact me if you are interested in Co-DMing.

Game Description:

You've killed the wizard. Your first big quest, and you're not dead. Excellent! Now a quick rest, and then to loot the lab... But now it's all gone pear-shaped. A burst of light, a tinkle of shattering crystal, and you feel wrong. Something's wrong. You don't feel like you anymore. And someone won't stop screaming. Inside your head.

Let's do something different. This game will be a Pathfinder Gestalt game (we'll be using the d20 gestalt rules) with a twist. Each gestalt will be built from two character apps, and will be controlled by two people. I will choose 6 apps, and randomly combine them. I will say that there will be at least 1 ea. arcane, divine, skill monkey, and tank character, but they will be combined randomly (did I mention that it's going to be random?). The only thing I will tweak is if we wind up with a Wiz/Soc, because that's going to get silly fast.

During role-play, it's a FFA. Either player can talk for the character. Assume that NPC's, and to an extent other characters, don't know which half is talking. You've been adventuring together for a short while, so (much like people can learn to tell identical twins apart), you're companions will probably know which half is which most of the time. This sort of thing is not normal in this setting, so you may want to hide it from the outside world (or not).

During roll-play, we will roll d2. That means one of you will be in charge. You can consult with your other half, but one of you has final say that round. If you don't respond within 24 hours, you will be assumed to have 'choked' or 'panicked', and your other half will decide for you. Both halves will have control of all the characters powers.

If one half of your team is way more available to post, we will work something out so you both feel like you are contributing equally.

Each 'team' will have a private thread, which I promise not to read. If you want to collaborate a lot, that is totally cool. If you never want to talk OOC, that is also cool. Assume that 'half-to-half' conversation is private, unless you want to share it. There are still two separate personalities, so keeping secrets from your other half is fine. Also, I think it would be really interesting if we had one char. where the two halves did NOT get along, but I won't force it.

For the gestalting, we will arbitrarily pick one of the races (unless they happen to be human-elf or human-orc, in which case we will go with the half-breed race) if they differ, same with the genders. We will be doing 25 pb. You need to agree with your other half on how to spend points, feats, etc., or, alternately, I can do it for you if you want to go the whole 'I-hate-my-other-halves-guts' route.

Almost anything in the PFSRD is ok, but ask me if you want to use a non-core race, or a really complicated archetype (one that changes the base class a lot). Try not to go with insane builds, and stick to 1 class. You will start at level 3. This game will already have tons of book-keeping.

I'm not going to produce a super complicated setting, but I am going to try to keep the roll and role play aspects equal. My hope is that the interplay between characters keeps things interesting. I will say that we are starting almost immediately with combat.

If one half drops out, I will get someone to take over that half. If both halves drop, I will kill of that character and get two new players.

For your app, include at least a name, race and class. A sheet of who your character was before the 'merge' (or whatever we call it) is optional. Include enough detail to make me WANT your character in my game. Spending a ton of time on appearance is probably a poor choice (because this WILL change).

Last edited by ticky; Nov 13 '12 at 1:10am..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeganmw View Post
Could be interesting making a summoner for this...

Would one side be able to use the other sides capabilities when in control? If my summoner got combined with an orc fighter would his Eidelon still be out and about when the orc won control?
Yep. P.3 "Both halves will have control of all the characters powers."

Edit: To expand more, sticking with the "one brain two souls" thing, assume the ability to summon the Eidolon is tied to the body you inhabit. Maybe the specific Eidolon is tied to your soul, but, since it's still you inside, the 'correct' creature comes. So if the Orc wants to summon your Eidolon, he knows how to do that because your body knows how to do that, but the Eidolon comes because he's tied to YOUR soul.

I made an OOC thingy.

I agree with Aurore. It's definitively interesting but having difficulty control his or her "own" character seems annoying.

On a side note, to give a better image of your idea, is it like if the characters are under the Mutagenic Form ability from the Master Chymist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurobara View Post
I agree with Aurore. It's definitively interesting but having difficulty control his or her "own" character seems annoying.

On a side note, to give a better image of your idea, is it like if the characters are under the Mutagenic Form ability from the Master Chymist?
Yeah, I recognize the possibility for it to get annoying, but hopefully it's more 'three-legged-race' than 'bad-high-school-group-project'.

Umm, actually, no, and that is a good counter point. There, you are one or the other, either normal or changed, alignment 'A' or 'B'. Here, you are both at the same time, two people at once, alignment 'A' AND 'B'. There, one personality is in control for large blocks of time. Here, you flip back and forth moment to moment.

I would be interested, but only if I could be pared with a friend, I have no interest in having development of my character restricted by a possibly unreliable stranger who could be near impossible to contact.

I'm in

@ Bryci & Churlish You can't make new friends if you aren't willing to reach out to others

You never know, you may meet an amazing roleplayer who is completely compatible with your ideas and not only agrees on them but expounds on them ... or you could get me

Application:

Lorelei Hyacinth-Jones

Female Half-Elf Sorceror -- Orc Bloodline
(so she is already kinda schizo)

Subject to acts of random rage as a child, neither of her parents could explain where they came from. Lorelei's elven father was a calm and rational (some would say aloof) bard, a man who's lute could bring tears - of joy or sadness, a master storyteller. Her human mother was a musician, some say a mistress of the flute -- the shared love of music bought her parents together, a bond that should not have been, but grew stronger every day.

Lorelei, by the age of five could not be left with other children alone, she would bite, kick, punch and hiss. These attacks would be more frequent on the brightest of days, she seemed happier when it was dark, stormy or winter when the sun barely stayed obove the horizon for more than a few hours.

She shared her parents love of music, but found magic when a stranger, a man with his own darkness came to town. She was drawn to him, could see the same taste for rage in his eyes, this half-orc travelling merchant. He met with her parents and explained that he was a Sorceror. After discussing her childhood issues with her parents, he told them the now young teenager was a genetic throwback to a bygone era.

The time when the Lords of the Orcs roamed the plains and sundered all before them, where bathing in the blood of your enemies was seen as a way to absorb their strength -- she carried those bloodlines.

He promised to help her conquer those feelings, those dreams and to use the very magic evident in her blood to exise the rage she still fought against. Her parents gave their consent and Lorelei learned the way of the Sorceress ... and how to draw power from those grand Orc warlords of a past too long for anyone to remember.

That was three years ago, before she hunted down this wizard ... before the shattering glass and the bright light ... before ...

Looking forward to playing

This is just begging to be asked.

How would you treat a paladin in the case of being combined with anybody that would not follow the paladin code? For example, say a paladin was merged with a serial killer. Is it an insta-fall? There could be some great potential for roleplay there, but also plenty of potential for unnecessary angst and conflict.

Hm. Yeah, having two people paired only with each other, as a condition of applying, kind of eliminates the whole point of the random pairing idea. And allows said people to effectively meta-game themselves a powerful gestalt, while ensuring that they agree with whatever direction they want the character to go...

So, I'm not DM or anything, but I can't picture that working. Not with the game as presented.

I'm trying to think of something to apply with, but I am curious. Are there any skill-monkey classes other than Rogue and (possibly) Bard? I was looking at the statement that you want to accept at least one arcane, one divine, one tank, and one skill-monkey, but I don't know how many different class combinations that makes for that last role.