Old Nov 13 '12, 5:40pm
Wyrm

Rise of the Runelords - Closed

Rise of the Runelords Modules - Forum
Pathfinder - Golarion
Ad Closes: Dec 1 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Rise of the Runelords

This is going to be a continuing play by post session for all players that are interested in a Pathfinder game from an official Paizo adventure path. This will be following the Rise of the Runelords storyline. However, I'm not just reading from the script here. Some things that are in the official module won't be in this game, some things are being changed around, and yet other events are something that I'm throwing in for some extra flavor that I've used in previous games that I've been involved in as a GM and as a player in the past. I've been playing and I've been a GM in games like this since 1995, so rest assured I've been doing this awhile. Full disclosure, I've never run a game by post before, but I have done a Phantasy Star IV homebrew play by email game a while ago, so I'm planning to run this session in the same kind of fashion.

Anyways, let's get into hooking me some sucker...I mean, some good high quality players. Shall we?

The story will start out in the city of Sandpoint during the Swallowtail Festival. This festival is a celebration to the goddess of Desna. But its also a celebration of wine and song. The atmosphere will be very jovial and high spirited. Everyone will be looking for a little fun and adventure.

Although there will obviously be combat involved, I like to focus more on role playing and quite frankly the rewards will reflect that. Also, if you’ve ever played the Runelords adventure quest, I won’t be going just by that. There will be some changes to fit my style and preferences. So even if you’ve played these modules before, this could still be a new adventure for you.

Some will come to the festival looking for a good time.

Some will come looking for a little adventure.

Some will be looking for a set of means to make some gold for themselves. The town of Sandpoint is a fairly peaceful town, but like all places it does have its share of problems and issues. Troubles that need solving that only a good group of would be adventures can solve.

Insert your own Ominous Music here
Some have come because of the stories. Stories of darkness and evil. Rumors of a evil device called a Runewell that can only be powered by the souls of the living. In fact, it is said that the more innocent, the more pure that the soul is, the greater the power source is for the evil Runewell. And there are dark forces at work in a hidden labyrinth of evil, hidden, and long forgotten well beneath the streets of Sandpoint that will bring about a great calamity. Souls will be consumed, fires will burn, and the country, let alone the entire world, will never the same if the evil beneath the streets of Sandpoint were to come to full power!

*Thunderclap!*

Dun! Dun! Dun!

But, I mean, who really listens to crazy rumors like that. I mean, heh heh, that would be ridiculous….Wouldn’t it?

If you are undecided on what you want to do in terms of a background, I've thrown together some background storyline plots that will come into play here. You can use some of these if you wish, but you are by no means obligated to do so. But I thought that this would help you build your characters if you had a little background of what happened before this adventure started.

The Swallowtail Festival begins promptly, as scheduled, on the first day of autumn. The square before the church quickly becomes crowded as locals and travelers arrive. Several merchant tents featuring food, clothes, local crafts, and souvenirs are there to meet them. Lunch is provided free of charge from the local vendors as a means to try gave out samples and attract new customers. Little did the happy townsfolk know that their happy little festive would end up a night of terror...

Application link here.

I am looking for four players and I’m hoping to have a good, well rounded party. Something like a melee, DPS, magic-user, healer group. Although I can be flexible as I will be selecting the four players that I think will make for a good and interesting group.

I only have a few restrictions. No third party material. Anything pathfinder, Core Rulebook, Advanced Players guide, etc is ok. I will also allow gunslingers, but bare in mind that in the timeline of this storyline, gunpowder is a rare commodity and that means you'll have to be able to craft your own ammo. Crafting said ammo could also be expensive since guns and gunpowder are fairly rare in this storyline.

Best of luck to everyone who is interested and applies.

Please note that the game will probably not officially start until after Thanksgiving.

Game Description:

Rise of the Runelords

This is going to be a continuing play by post session for all players that are interested in an official Pathfinder game. This will be following the Rise of the Runelords storyline. I'm not just reading from the script here though. Some things are going to be changed around and there is also a few things that I've decided to throw in that isn't in the script at all just to make things interesting. I'm also planning on adding a few things where parts of the story will focus on your character's background.

The story will start out in the city of Sandpoint during the Swallowtail Festival. This festival is a celebration to the goddess of Desna. But its also a celebration of wine and song and the atmosphere will be very jovial and high spirited. Everyone will be looking for a little fun and adventure.

Although there will obviously be combat involved, I like to focus more on role playing and quite frankly the rewards will reflect that. Also, if you’ve ever played the Runelords adventure quest, I won’t be going just by that. There will be some changes to fit my style and preferences. So even if you’ve played these modules before, this could still be a new adventure for you.

Some will come to the festival looking for a good time. Some will come looking for a little adventure. Some will looking for a way to make just a little bit of money. The town of Sandpoint is a fairly peaceful town, but like all places it does have its share of problems and issues. Troubles that need solving that only a good group of would be adventures can solve.

Insert your own Ominous Music hereSome have come because of the stories. Stories of darkness and evil. Rumors of a evil device called a Runewell that can only be powered by the souls of the living. In fact, it is said that the more innocent, the more pure that the soul is, the greater the power source is for the evil Runewell. And there are dark forces at work in a hidden labyrinth of evil, hidden, and long forgotten well beneath the streets of Sandpoint that will bring about a great calamity. Souls will be consumed, fires will burn, and the country, let alone the entire world, will never the same if the evil beneath the streets of Sandpoint were to come to full power!

*Thunderclap!*

Dun! Dun! Dun!

But, I mean, who really listens to crazy rumors like that. I mean, heh heh, that would be ridiculous….Wouldn’t it?:angel:

Last edited by Hollesea; Nov 20 '12 at 9:00pm..
@hollesea, I'll see if I can dredge up his character sheet. He was a character in a face to face pathfinder game. I believe there were a couple of house rules on him, but I'll include everything.

Posting interest--as with a couple of other players, I've been seeking a good RotRL game for quite some time (it's one of the AP's my meatspace gaming group hasn't gotten to yet). Waffling between a dwarven gunslinger and an expatriate Andoran melee-type. I'll get something posted in the other thread in the next day or so.

Also Posting interest. I would love to play, and I can roll pretty much anything. My First choice would probably be Druid, followed by Paladin/Fighter/Barbarian in a deadlock for 2nd place.
...but I ended up submitting a Life Oracle. So yeah. So much for planning.

I want to thank everyone that applied to the game. It was a very difficult to choose the four players that I would invite into the game. I'll be sending out a private message to these players. I'll be starting the official game soon, although I have a live pathfinder game that I GM on Tuesday evenings and we have the holiday coming up so I know that things may be a little slow to start out. But I'll be posting the four chosen players soon.