Notices

character creation questions

thanks, i was going to ask how do you deal with the 2 years after? do we just decide what to do or are you going to do something with us?

I explain the wise women angle as its one of the things i took which allowed me to take Academic skills. What i meant was i COULD have gone to school and passed from all the teaching she gave me.

I am toying with taking lycanthrope lol, it would go well with the character for sure..... its the only thing i can see that would fit nicely as a major flaw.

House Diedne has been officially extinct for over 100 years. You say that you are not familiar with the setting: In that case taking a Diedne background is not a good idea. You can't even tell the other characters (I'm not saying players) that you are a Diedne. I read the virtue description again (should have done so right away, my bad). You are right: there is one extra story flaw allowed in addition to being a Diedne.

If you want to feel isolated (a tough path in any roleplaying game), why don't you just take a non-Christian background, a speech impediment or a social handicap? Or maybe you had an infernal childhood? There is a good reason why (in 20 years of Ars Magica) I've only seen one successful Diedne.

Being blatantly gifted affects anyone but magi: the parma protects them from the effects of other people's gift.

Okey I knew they were extinct but I didn't find anywhere how long ago or in what degree there art were still practiced by some.

As for isolated I was more looking for isolated in of the terms of ideology than plain visable features. But perhaps not infernal childhood as much as faerie (Arcadia?) experience, venturing away one night in his young years only to find himself in a world that had moved forward 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J Steel View Post
Okey I knew they were extinct but I didn't find anywhere how long ago or in what degree there art were still practiced by some.

As for isolated I was more looking for isolated in of the terms of ideology than plain visable features. But perhaps not infernal childhood as much as faerie (Arcadia?) experience, venturing away one night in his young years only to find himself in a world that had moved forward 20 years.
That would fit incredibly well. There even is a flaw fairie upbringing somewhere.

Two quick questions before I start to flesh out my character; Being initiated a Bjornaer but shortly afterward revealing his Faerie blood and therefore shunned by the house and taken as an apprentice in the House of Bonisagus, would that work?

Also, Blatant gift and animals doesn't the inoffensive to animals virtue that he has over-ride any negative effect the blatant gift may have on them?

Quote:
Two quick questions before I start to flesh out my character; Being initiated a Bjornaer but shortly afterward revealing his Faerie blood and therefore shunned by the house and taken as an apprentice in the House of Bonisagus, would that work?
I was just about to shout no and decry the whole idea of having two houses as monstrous (House Bjornaer is described as a house that kills apprentices that turn out wrong), but then I realised that there is a chance to have 2 houses: If you were initiated at the 1203 Bjornaer House Gathering, and then claimed by a Bonisagus (they have the right to claim other apprentices), you'd be a Bonisagus initiated into House Bjornaer:
- House Bjornaer would not kill you (accident or Wizard's war) if you called yourself a member of their house (but you'd greatly upset House Bonisagus). You'd get the heartbeast virtue.
- You'd have the Bonisagus right of claiming an apprentice and the duty of sharing all your writings. You'd need to buy the Puissant MT virtue.
- You'd have difficulties progressing in either House (especially getting the mysteries of House Bjornaer or an elected office in House Bonisagus)

Personally, I still believe that you're creating a chimera by packing too much into one character (Bjornaer, fairie, Bonisagus). We also already have another shapeshifting character whose relation to House Bjornaer is rocky (wrathgon). But if your heart is set on it, then do it. A character is there for your enjoyment, not mine.
So the following bit is just my opinion (nothing more):
I liked your fairie-touched Bonisagus who had lost 20 years in a fairie regio concept much better. He didn't use wrathgon's trademark of becoming an animal. He was still hated enough to satisfy even a masochist (the Blatant gift + fairie background).

Quote:
Also, Blatant gift and animals doesn't the inoffensive to animals virtue that he has over-ride any negative effect the blatant gift may have on them?
"Inoffensive to" is the way to go to lower your social penalty by three. You'd have to take it twice to eliminate all the penalty against animals (the extra virtues are in HoH:MC, Merinita chapter).

After some thought, I have decided on a Flambeau School of Ramius, focusing on wards.

I notice your concern and I think that you are perhaps right, also creating a chimaera could have the effect that non of his side is shown instead. Instead I'm going for a pure Bonisagus and enhance the faerie part to have also give his magic fay properties a reason for why he as a Bonisagi choices to be a wanderer; he doesn't need a laboratory to create new spells.
Also it seems that you are forbidden to take "inoffensive to" twice so I'm thinking of just take, "Offensive to human instead" (which so far I haven't found yet :P).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solan View Post
After some thought, I have decided on a Flambeau School of Ramius, focusing on wards.
I like the virtues and flaws.

Wards are best against mundane threats since they must penetrate. Most weapons are mundane though, and, combined with Parma, you'll get a mighty fighter.