Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD3.5e: Wait a tic... Flurry of blows with Shurikens?

Wait a tic... Flurry of blows with Shurikens?

I was milling over an idea for a thrower that uses ranged disarm and ranged pin for crowd control. I was looking at the monk class, when I realized that no where in the description of furry of blows does it state that the attacks need to be melee attacks! They just need to be either unarmed attacks or attacks with monk weapons, and Shurikens are specifically listed as a weapon option.

So could a lvl 1 character perform a flurry of blows by drawing and throwing 2 shurikens? Or is he expected to just kinda poke his opponent with them?

Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flurry of Blows
When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken
A shuriken is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding shuriken special options. A shuriken can’t be used as a melee weapon.
(Emphasis added)

So, either the designers/editors screwed up (yet another thing), or yes, you can flurry-sling shuriken.

Yes you could. The best use is to poison them and/or take feats that allow you to do more damage with them.

The fire shuriken spell from Complete Arcane is another excellent option. The shuriken it creates are permanent!

I've always heard it read as allowing for throwing shurikens.

Remember: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Shuriken are pretty bad, honestly, due to both the low damage and very short range increment.

What book is Master Thrower in?

Maybe a Monk fighting style variant from Unearthed Arcana could be reworked for throwing. Call it the Path of the Pecking Crane or something...

Path of the Pecking Crane
1st-Level Skill Bonus: Spot
1st-Level Feat: Point Blank Shot
2nd-Level Feat: Precise Shot
6th-Level Feat: Ranged Pin
6th-Level Bonus Ability: Add +2 Damage to the roll when throwing Shurikens.
Prerequisites: Balance 9, Weapon Focus [Shuriken]

I couldn't decide what skill to use for the bottom Prereq, so I just went with Balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post

Shuriken are pretty bad, honestly, due to both the low damage and very short range increment.
Yeah, lol

Would be great for an E6 game maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post

*Shrugs* It's no worse than a dagger thrower. And not every game is high-op.