The Failed Rebellion

Old Nov 18 '12, 12:37pm
Do Not Feed

The Failed Rebellion

The Failed Rebellion - Forum
Song of Ice and Fire
Estimated Members Requested: 3

The Timeline:

During the Battle of the Bells, Jon Connington found and slew Robert Baratheon. Upon arriving Eddard Stark led the fight against royalists and prevailed in forcing Connington into an orderly retreat, only afterwards finding the bloody church cellars of Robert's last stand. The rebel army continued on to the Battle of the Trident, where the fighting turned against them and they made reasonable retreat into the Vale.

Mean while, having sensed which way the wind is blowing, after the injury of Hoster Tully and death of Robert Baratheon, Walder Frey sent a host to Riverrun where the gates were opened to them. Immediately they turned on those within, taking the castle after a brief skirmish, and declared it a victory in the name of Targeryans.

Knowing Rhaegar was too smart to attempt storming the mountain keeps, facing an overcrowded Vale and with whispers of the royal fleet on its way to block any supply from sea, the rebel lords surrendered rather than see their armies and towns starve. Rhaegar ordered the execution of Lords Stark, Tully and Arryn on the spot - understood by some to have been a mercy - sparing them whatever punishment King Aerys II's mind would have devised.

Tywin Lannister, having failed to declare for the Targeryans in a timely manner, fell further from the king's graces and was 'requested' to sponsor a lavish tournament at King's Landing where no expense will be spared.

Lord Walder was not made Lord of Riverrun as he had hoped, but the house did gain the favour of the king at the same time that House Tully was quite depleted, causing it to hold uncomfortably large influence in the Riverlands.

Jon Connington remains the king's hand and the seat of House Connington is now Storm's End. He is known as the Rebel Slayer, a reputation much admired in most of the Riverlands and South.

Story Premise:

House -----, a branch of a mainhouse, was mostly destroyed during the rebellion, the wooden keep was burned to the ground, its armies and lineage slain. Only the smallfolk and an infant heir remain. Now the Lord of the main house has tasked his second/third son to govern the lands until the heir is old enough to take up the seat. You are the new lord's son, daughter, knights, maester, etc.

I am open to change by popular demand (from the accepted players), although I would prefer the above scenario as I feel it has a lot of story merit. Will you dutifully bring the lands to prosperity for the rightful heir? Will you use them to gain whatever you can before they must be given up? Will the heir never grow up due to some unfortunate circumstance? Or will you falter and drown in the chaos of a Westeros staggered by the aftermath of its latest war?

I will leave the proper definition of the house from which you stem and the house which is being governed to the players, with some input from me, unless they do not want to make it or cannot agree upon one.

Applications:
They Go Here.
This is not an exact number, but I intend to keep numbers low to make it easier for everyone to stay together and be relevant throughout the story.
Estimated Players: 3
The applications will be reviewed as they come in and will not necessarily stay open.

As part of the game I intend for the players to create the house and to decide on a collective direction - a group template of sorts - in order to ensure character's have reason to interact and be in the same places beyond being obliged to by virtue of being a member of the household.

For example, a knight who only cares about worldly gains would fit with a noble who aims to gain more power and influence, as these often will work towards the same goal. But would probably not work well with a noble who is interested in honour and helping others (unless there are other aspects of the characters that keep them together). This doesn't mean characters can't have clashing aspects too, those are great.

This means that I will not be accepting fully designed characters, assembled seperately the pieces may not fit together. I will be accepting players. So how do you apply? That one's tricky. The key thing to understand is that after the group decides on house and group theme, I will ask you make a new character (or adapt the one you made if it's a reasonable fit). So you need to be okay with that. For this reason you may use any past ASIF character or make a new one, it can but doesn't have to be directed for this game. Please include or link sample role play.

I will base my decision on how interesting and well portrayed the characters are and on the quality of the role play sample. Good grammar is encouraged.

Game Description:

The failed rebellion of Robert Baratheon and his traitorous allies has laid waste and confusion to Westeros; no where less than the hotly contested Riverlands. In a realm ravaged by war, under the rule of a mad king, a noble is tasked with governing the devastated lands of an infant heir. Now his house hold must navigate the uncertain allegiances of the River Lords for honour, glory, power or gold.

Last edited by Furious5k; Nov 18 '12 at 3:08pm..
Could we get a slightly better description of this bit?
Quote:
House -----, a branch of a mainhouse, was mostly destroyed during the rebellion, the wooden keep was burned to the ground, its armies and lineage slain. Only the smallfolk and an infant heir remain. Now the Lord of the main house has tasked his second/third son to govern the lands until the heir is old enough to take up the seat. You are the new lord's son, daughter, knights, maester, etc.
When you say "new lord's" you mean the lord of main house?

Yeah, but the lord of the branch is an infant. He doesn't have sons or daughters. Plus branch house lost everything but that one kid.

I apologise for the lack of clarity. I intend to let the players design the houses in question, thus my description is a bit of a vague ramble. For the sake of argument let's call them house Stone and house Wood.

House Wood, a branch of house Stone, was mostly destroyed during the rebellion. Its wooden keep was burned to the ground, its armies and lineage slain. Only the smallfolk and an infant heir to the late Lord Wood remain. Now Lord Stone has tasked his second son, Ser Brick, to govern the lands until the heir is of age to take up the seat. You are Ser Brick's children, retainers, etc.

Quote:
When you say "new lord's" you mean the lord of main house?
I could have explained that better. As I understand Westeros customs, a lord's children are not addressed as "lord", but when the second son is given control of lands he would essentially become a lord of that house until the real heir is old enough to take that title. So Ser Brick, becomes Lord Brick Wood.

Okay, that makes a heck of a lot more sense. You basically had three different lords, so it was a bit confusing. Application time.

Also recommendation about players. People flake. Always. I don't know why, I do my best to not give up, and if something comes up to tell people. Point is if you want three players try for 5-6 accepted and hope three stay on.

That is certainly what I have seen occur in plenty of games during my PbP experience. However, it is also possibility that none of the players drop out. I hope that giving players plenty of buy-in and a bigger slice of the spotlight will mean they are more likely to stick around.

At the end of the day, I just feel I will be able to deliver a better gaming experience to a smaller number of people. I have come to this conclusion from running ASIF in real life.

Hey, looks like my post in the ad earlier today didn't go through, but I'm interested and have an as-yet-incomplete app posted. I'm interested to see what you do with the new timeline, as it's a route I was thinking of going were I to run such a game in this era.