Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

I, Automaton

I, Automaton

I had an idea today for a campaign, or possibly just a series of related scenarios, from the perspective of heuristic constructs in high fantasy, steampunk, 20 min into the future, and/or cyberpunk setting(s). The whole adventure would place a lot of emphasis on storytelling and character development over die rolls and character sheets, to the point that I'm thinking any die rolls that were necessary would occur behind the GM curtain and any necessary character generation would be a indistinguishable from the actual play (ex. you don't pick "fighter" on your character sheet, you join Roy Greenhilt's Fighter College). I'm leaning toward freeform for the sake of simplicity, but I'm open to input on potential challenges I could encounter or suggestions for better methods.

Tl;dr: Had an idea for a game with a lot of emphasis on story. Looking for some folks to bounce some ideas off of. I don't want to go into detail on a public board, though, so that hypothetical future players can't just go look this thread up later.

Well that's good, I'll definitely keep you in mind when I get this show on the road.

I suppose what I really wanted to know is if people are willing to try/play games that aren't one of the more common rulesets.

I don't mind uncommon rulesets, but robots/androids/steampunk/etc. usually aren't my cup of tea. I don't mind cyborgs so much, but I don't have time to play anything at the moment.

A while back I converted the half-golems from D&D 3.0 to 3.5, but the LA is prohibitive for players and the setting I run is under the e8 ruleset.

I always thought constructs had a lot of potential left unexplored in D&D. I also find the 20 minutes into the future idea very interesting, too.