Issue Four: Do You Believe In Magic?

Rad

Rad looks around confused....... "Ummmmmmmm okayyyyyyyyyy??? Well I better finish up with these portal locks."

Rad pulls together his battered pride and casually resumes his work.

Beorn looks confused - as usual. "Ummm? Wasn't he on our side? I swear Blue Marvel was with you when I got here. I've never heard of this Thanos fellow, but having minions is never a good sign is it? Any idea what he wanted?"

Beorn is doubly nervous because in the last several hours they seem to have given some fairly important things to some fairly sketchy people.

Looking about for somewhere to sit, he wipes his forehead with a shaking hand. "I don't know if I'm cut out for all this excitement. I ... I've been known to make mistakes. Big ones. Then again, I didn't just call this Thanos fellow master and scamper about like a puppy so I suppose I'm one up on Blue Marvel."

He scratched his stubbly face with dirty fingers and pondered. What next?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackNslash
Rad looks around confused....... "Ummm…okay??? Well I better finish up with these portal locks."
Rad pulls together his battered pride and casually resumes his work.
Rad is pretty confident that he has the portals secured. Crystal thanks you for your efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firkraag (Maelstrom)
Beorn looks confused - as usual. "Ummm? Wasn't he on our side?"
"Umm...yup", the Captain answers.

Quote:
"I swear Blue Marvel was with you when I got here."
"Ahh...yup", he replies again.

Quote:
"I've never heard of this Thanos fellow, but having minions is never a good sign is it? Any idea what he wanted?"
"Ahh...nope." Captain turns to look at EnergyStar.

Quote:
Beorn is doubly nervous because in the last several hours they seem to have given some fairly important things to some fairly sketchy people.
Looking about for somewhere to sit, he wipes his forehead with a shaking hand. "I don't know if I'm cut out for all this excitement. I ... I've been known to make mistakes. Big ones. Then again, I didn't just call this Thanos fellow master and scamper about like a puppy so I suppose I'm one up on Blue Marvel."
He scratched his stubbly face with dirty fingers and pondered:
The Characters thread has been updated with what you guys (and the Avengers/Fantastic Four files) would know about Thanos and Blue Marvel/Marvel Boy. Next post, I will move us forward to the next day. If there's anything else you want to do while you are at F4 HQ, you can post it now or we can always time bubble back.
“What next?"

Monday, April 18 - morning

After the repairs on the Negative Zone portal locks, some research into Thanos’ and Marvel Boy’s pasts, and additional patchwork to the F4HQ ceiling, you exchange pleasantries with your hosts and head back to Avengers mansion for the night. Bubbles says goodbye and takes his leave, heading off to…
Bubbles, see PM and Private Thread
wherever
Crystal promises to contact you if she learns anything further about Thanos or Marvel Boy, or if their strange silver visitor regains consciousness.

The Avengers have an all-hands meeting at 10AM tomorrow morning. You’re wondering how Hank Pym’s going to react when he hears about Marvel Boy…much less, Thanos’ apparent return…

Your sleep that night is not very restful.

Monday, April 18.
In the morning,
Except for Bubbles, who isn’t there, and possibly Rad, who, as a guest and not a member, is not required to be in attendance, but is welcome to attend anyway – your call – otherwise PM me with your morning activities.
everyone is dressed and ready to go, sitting in the board room, as Hank enters, precisely at 10:00AM, carrying a large sack over his shoulder.

”’Morning everyone.” Hank drops the sack on the conference room table and quickly scans the room; his eyes lingering for a moment on the empty chair where Blue Marvel should be. ”I have a few things to go over and I’m very interested to hear how your dinner went last night, but we’re going to start off with a guest speaker this morning…” Hank motions towards the door and the Avengers butler, Jarvis, walks in accompanying a young, wide-eyed boy, maybe 10 or 11 years old, who looks a little nervous to be there.

”This is Juan Martinez”, Jarvis says to the assembled heroes, with his hand resting on the boy’s shoulder. ”He has some information that might prove valuable in relation to the incident at Overton Storage two nights ago.” Kneeling down next to the boy, Jarvis continues: ”Tell them what you saw that night, Juan.”

”Well, I couldn’t sleep, ‘cause all the alarms were going off and I wasn’t tired when I went to bed anyway, but when they were going off, I got up and was lookin’ out the window…it was still pretty light out ‘cause there was still some snow left on some of the buildings. And over on the warehouse, there was this giant guy…he was a huge brown guy with red eyes and he was with a little red guy with a gun on his hand. They broke the window on top of the building and were taking crates out of it. They put ‘em in this cool airplane on top of the building that turned into a police helicopter just before it left.”

The room is quiet for a few seconds after Juan’s story. ”Good boy, Juan”, Jarvis says approvingly, patting the boy on the shoulder. ”Yes, thank you, Juan”, Hank says, leaning forward, ”now, I wonder if you wouldn’t mind doing a favor for us…I’d like to show you some pictures and have you tell us if any of them look like the men you saw on the roof. Could you do that for us?”
Juan agrees and within moments, Hank has brought up an image of Eric Josten, the villain known as Goliath, whom Juan identifies as the “giant brown guy”. Josten has fought the Avengers on several occasions and you know his powers are based off technology stolen from Hank Pym himself. Hank does not seem to be able to come up with a picture to match the second individual until
I rolled to see if you guys would have an idea who it was and you made it by a landslide.
someone suggests Ulysses Klaw, an old enemy of missing AEF member Ka-Zar. Juan positively identifies Klaw as the second man he saw.
Both of these individuals have battled the Avengers before as members of the Masters of Evil, but not at the same time.

Hank thanks Juan (who told you everything he could), shakes his hand, and gives him a glossy 8x10 photo of the team from the previous day’s press conference, which the boy seems overjoyed about. Jarvis shows the boy out. Hank is pleased to at least have a lead to follow up on.

Item #2: ”…and now it starts”, Hank says with a smirk, as he empties the contents of the sack out onto the table. Several small bundles of letters and postcards, neatly rubber banded together, spill out, forming a small pile. ”This, lady and gentlemen, is your first batch of
Time permitting, I may actually PM you some this week.
fan mail as full members of the Avengers.”
Cap and EnergyStar each receive a pretty sizable stack, as they are established and popular heroes. ”Don’t be too impressed”, Captain says, receiving his large stack of letters, ”back in Buffalo, half of this usually came from kids who thought I was Captain America.” Maelstrom and Pulsar also receive several letters and postcards, many including likenesses of them done in various media from pencil to crayon to finger paint. ”If you have the time”, Hank says, ”it would be great if you could respond to them. We can have some photo postcards printed you can autograph and send out if you like.”

Item #3: Hank: “Several media outlets have been calling this morning asking for another press conference with the team, probably sometime this afternoon if we were to do it. Anyone interested? Is this something you think we’ll have the time to pull off?”

Item #4: Hank pulls out the morning edition of the Daily Bugle, which has a blurry shot of Bubbles looking down from a skyscraper on the front page with the caption “HERO OR MENACE?” ”Just so you are all aware, apparently there’s yet another new hero in town. There’s been some footage of him saving some construction workers last night on the news as well. Don’t know who he is yet, but he certainly is colorful.”

The Dreaded Item #5: ”So, how’d dinner go?”

If you have any actions you wish to perform at any point during the meeting, go ahead and post them and they will be time-bubbled in. I just figured it would be easier to list all the agenda items in a single post.
Meeting Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Item #2: ”…and now it starts”, Hank says with a smirk, as he empties the contents of the sack out onto the table. Several small bundles of letters and postcards, neatly rubber banded together, spill out, forming a small pile. ”This, lady and gentlemen, is your first batch of
Time permitting, I may actually PM you some this week.
fan mail as full members of the Avengers.”
Cap and EnergyStar each receive a pretty sizable stack, as they are established and popular heroes. ”Don’t be too impressed”, Captain says, receiving his large stack of letters, ”back in Buffalo, half of this usually came from kids who thought I was Captain America.” Maelstrom and Pulsar also receive several letters and postcards, many including likenesses of them done in various media from pencil to crayon to finger paint. ”If you have the time”, Hank says, ”it would be great if you could respond to them. We can have some photo postcards printed you can autograph and send out if you like.”
"Oh look at this picture of me. Isn't it adorable?!?" She turns it around and you see a crayon drawing of what Energystar says is her. To you it is a red blob with eyes and a cape.

Quote:
Item #3: Hank: “Several media outlets have been calling this morning asking for another press conference with the team, probably sometime this afternoon if we were to do it. Anyone interested? Is this something you think we’ll have the time to pull off?”
"Yes I would love to do a press conference. Wait...will this involve me being thrown through a window?"

Quote:
Item #4: Hank pulls out the morning edition of the Daily Bugle, which has a blurry shot of Bubbles looking down from a skyscraper on the front page with the caption “HERO OR MENACE?” ”Just so you are all aware, apparently there’s yet another new hero in town. There’s been some footage of him saving some construction workers last night on the news as well. Don’t know who he is yet, but he certainly is colorful.”
"Uh, yeah well..um...his name is Bubbles." That is all she adds.

Quote:
The Dreaded Item #5: ”So, how’d dinner go?”
"Oh very nice! Thanks."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tila (EnergyStar)
"Isn't it adorable?!?" She turns it around and you see a crayon drawing of what Energystar says is her.
The Captain tilts his head to the side and studies it for a couple seconds. "Oh, I see it", he says, almost to himself before opening and silently reading a piece of his own fan mail. "Hmpf", he says, looking at the letter "Captain America..."

Quote:
"Yes I would love to do a press conference. Wait...will this involve me being thrown through a window?"
"Depends on how well it goes", Hank replies, quite manner-of-factly.

Quote:
"Uh, yeah well..um...his name is Bubbles." That is all she adds.
"We met him last night", The Human Torch and The Captain both offer simultaneously, stopping to look at each other and blink.

Quote:
"[dinner was] very nice! Thanks."
"Good", Hank says, as The Torch and The Captain lean slightly forward and look down the table at EnergyStar. "...Where's Blue Marvel this morning?", Hank asks nonchalantly.

Quote:
DeAR MALSTRUM,
Yoo AR MY FAVRiT AVENGR BECUZ Yoo AR CooLER THAN SiLVR SiRFR BECUZ Yoo DoNT NEEb A STOOPib SURF BoRDE AND BECUZ Yoo AR SiLVR
LOVE,
YoR FREND JAMIE
XO

(The note is written, landscape, in crayon on an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of white paper, accompanied by a sketch of a silver stick figure with blue dots for eyes.)
Beorn tries not to look pleased, but a red flush spreads across his cheeks and he hangs his head. "Ummm...well, gee .... this is .... ummm .... How did ... err..." Surrepticiously he wipes a tear from the corner of his eye. "That was my sons name ..."

Quote:
"Good", Hank says, as The Torch and The Captain lean slightly forward and look down the table at EnergyStar. "...Where's Blue Marvel this morning?", Hank asks nonchalantly.
Beorn looks up, confused. "Didn't anyone tell him? Your Blue Boy's a fawning sychophant now. He was scampering around some big giant..." Turning to Energystar he asks for confirmation, "What was his name? Thanatos? Anyway, they disappeared together. Not sure, but I think you can stop writing Blue Marvel company cheques."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firkraag View Post
Beorn looks up, confused. "Didn't anyone tell him? Your Blue Boy's a fawning sychophant now. He was scampering around some big giant..." Turning to Energystar he asks for confirmation, "What was his name? Thanatos? Anyway, they disappeared together. Not sure, but I think you can stop writing Blue Marvel company checques."
Energystar closes her eyes as Beorn blurts it out. She looks down at Cap and the Torch.

She rolls her eyes and looks at Hank, "Oh yeah I almost forgot about that." She smiles. "Actually I was hoping we could come up with something more for you before we told you. You see there were a few things that happened at Fantastic Four headquarters yesterday...."

"But dinner WAS very lovely."

Quote:
Actually, I didn't want someone to type up the whole thing, I was just looking to see how much you guys would reveal on your own or what you might to keep between you.
Works for me.

The story of the the previous evening gets told, in near-perfect reverse chronological order, through a series of questions-and-answers in which Hank asks a rather straightforward question, and one of the other characters in the room replies with an answer, which elicits yet another question from Hank.

"When did Thanos arrive at the Fantastic Four's headquarters?"
"Right after we came back with Bubbles."
"How did you end up with Bubbles?"
"We brought him with us after we left the SHIELD satellite."
"What were you doing on the SHIELD satellite?"
"Nick Fury brough us there after we defeated Blastaar."
"Blastaar? The Fantastic Four's enemy? How did you encounter him?"
"When he escaped from the portal to the Negative Zone."
"What portal..."

You get the idea. The story basically ends with you first arriving at FFHQ and meeting everyone.

Hank sits there, looking stunned for a moment before you realize his eyes are rapidly moving back and forth, almost as if he reading and writing notes on an unusually wide chalkboard in his mind's eye. After a couple seconds, he confirms your suspicians as he rattles off a series of statements, adressing several disparate subjects. "I'm going to need each of you to file a report on our computer system about what happened...For future reference...'Star and Cap - will you please show the others how to do that?...Hmmm...I don't know if a press conference would be a good idea with an AWOL member at this point...What did Blue Marvel give Thanos before they disappeared? Did anyone see it?...Maelstrom, when we're done here, let see if we can identify who you saw on the rooftop that may have ended up with the Cosmic Control Rod...Have you had any problems teleporting before?"

BAH-DEEP BAH-DEEP BAH-DEEP

Hank looks down at a small device on his wrist and begins reading something from the tiny screen on his what you previously mistook for a wristwatch.

"Michael "Man Mountain" Marko has broken out of the Metro Temporary Holding Facility...or...", Hanks squints as if trying to comprehend what he is reading "is in the process of breaking out..."

Hank closes his portfolio on the table with a quick slam. "OK, meeting adjourned...until later at least...can I get a couple of you to head over to Metro and assist in taking this loser down? Don't worry, he isn't on par with Than...oh...Galactus or anything..."

Metro is in NYC, right? Pulsar can probably travel there under his own power, not sure what our transport situation is at the moment. Like any good marvel team, we're hard on our aircraft.
Pulsar pipes up. Man-mountain, eh? Sounds like a chump. Let's thump 'im. Who wants a ride?