Word Play Contest - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Word Play Contest

Word Play Contest

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
Myth-Weavers is having a contest for in-game word play!
Coin words, craft phrases, and put your mind and hands to the test!

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

'It seems very pretty ... but it's rather hard to understand! ... Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas—only I don't exactly know what they are!' - Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass

Word play can mean all sorts of things, and we are looking for all sorts of things! The styles of wordsmithing applicable to the contest are very open. We are particularly encouraging creation of new words (Neologisms, Nonce Words, Sniglets, portmanteaux), interesting repurposing of existing words, new turns of phrase as The Bard might have done, and a bit of madness, in the style of Carroll.

Example authors are: Lewis Carroll (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland), William Shakespeare (Much Ado About Nothing), James Joyce (Finnegan's Wake)

How it works

I'll give a day or two for people to see the announcement and start formulating ideas. Then, I'll add a button to the post template (by the Quote button) that can be used to submit the post to the contest.

You can submit posts to the Word Play Contest using the 'Submit for Contest' link on any post that is in a Game, or in the Games & Ads, Game Planning, or Archive forums! Once the submission period is over, we'll round up all the submissions, and prepare for community voting. The winner will be selected via Instant Runoff Voting by the Myth-Weavers community!

Schedule

Sept 14 - Sept 26: Submission period
Sept 28 - Sept 30: Community Voting
Oct 1: Winner Announced

The Rules

Posts must follow site content rules
Duh and or hello.

The primary language for a post must be English.
Apologies to our non-english-speaking members, but it is by far the most commonly used language on the boards.

Posts must be in-character / in-game to be valid.
Sorry, no OOC, game descriptions, setting information, etc.

One post per author
Because anyone can nominate anyone else, we are expecting we might get multiple posts authored by a single user. We'll ask at the end of the submissions for you to pick your favorite.

Winners must provide a mailing address
To receive physical prizes, I've gotta have somewhere to send them to

Prizes include

Myth-Weavers Swag

Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass
The famous poem from the author of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, in which he created nonsensical words from word combinations.

Rich Hall's Sniglets
A collection of words that should be in the dictionary, but aren't

1-Year Community Supporter Subscription
Removes google ads, increases game threadgroup abilities, and grants early access to the new Maps tool for virtual tabletop!
See the Community Supporter subscription page for more details.

Please post here if you have any questions!

Have fun!

If people want a very well recited version of Jabberwocky, here you go.

Just saying that I really love this idea, and I'll see if I have some fun posts from the pasts that would be submittable. Madness I can certainly provide a lot of.

Woooo!!! A contest in MW?? That's a Milestone!!! Never heard of it but it sure is welcoming!!!

So let me see if I got this straight: we have to do an in-game post with some imagination in the word play and then someone else must propose it for the contest, or can we vote our own posts for the contest?

@P4yne: Yup! Anyone can submit any post to be voted on, including your own.

@TwilightKing: Anything in particular or the whole thing?

Mostly what must be submitted. I guess I don't understand what is meant by word play, or how it would relate to this contest. It might just be my own limitations in understanding. I have enough problems understanding how figurative language works, for example. I'm just trying to understand what exactly is to be submitted, and then I can determine if my writing and creativity would be able to work with what is requested, or if the hindrances would be far too great for me to even try.

Edit: And now I've broken my own rule about using a word too often in a paragraph. Three usages of "understand" in one paragraph...perhaps I was too hasty in my reply.

A link to a post is what ends up getting submitted as far as the actual mechanics of the contest go.

The post it links to should be comprised of (or include) clever or otherwise interesting language use.
Quote:
We are particularly encouraging creation of new words (Neologisms, Nonce Words, Sniglets, portmanteaux), interesting repurposing of existing words, new turns of phrase as The Bard might have done, and a bit of madness, in the style of Carroll.
I've edited the first post to have links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
A link to a post is what ends up getting submitted as far as the actual mechanics of the contest go.

The post it links to should be comprised of (or include) clever or otherwise interesting language use.

I've edited the first post to have links.
Thanks for clearing it up. I don't know if I'll be able to do it. My players (and respective GMs) may argue otherwise, but, I suppose, we shall see. I love writing, but I'm not sure about my word play abilities. Time will tell.

Thanks again.

There will be other contests, with other themes Maybe you could suggest one you'd do better at!