Feature Proposal Discussion: Player Registry - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Feature Proposal Discussion: Player Registry

Feature Proposal Discussion: Player Registry

Player Registry

GMs shouldn't need to wonder if there are people interested in playing a game system. It might also be helpful when looking for replacement players.

New User Profile Setting - Include in Player Registry
A simple yes/no toggle to be included in the player registry. If yes, the user will show up in the player registry listings.

New User Profile Setting - Player Registry Game Systems
A user will be able to manage a list of systems he is interested in playing. This way, he will be counted as a player of a game system, and will be listed in the player registry section for that game system.

Browse Player Registry
All users who have opted in to be included in the Player Registry will be listed. They can be filtered based on game system, and a game system's section will also show a count of how many people currently play, and are actively interested in new games in that system. This may also tie back around to a game's individual subweave.

Notifications
I'm not sure exactly when or how to do this but, someone on the player registry could also get notified when a new game shows up in the game ads, or in game planning, of a system they've expressed interest in.

Looking for group with specific character
It's no fun to create a character for a game application and then never get to use it... I'm interested in figuring out a way in which these orphan characters can find a home.

Any questions, feedback, or related ideas? Please share!

THIS.

I had been considering how to propose something like this for a few weeks now, but couldn't find the way to actually put it into words.

Specifically in the niche gaming worlds, it's difficult to actually catch the attention of the players that would be interested in that game. The larger systems almost always have something being advertised, but freeform, classic (and even new) WoD, Serenity, Mutants and Masterminds, Scion, etc. all show up sporadically and are easy to get missed. I'm sure it's equally frustrating for players and GMs looking to connect, as you could easily miss out if you don't check the active game threads every day. Sometimes you're not really looking, and sometimes looking does you no good. Having a toggle list attached to players would absolutely make my day.

I'm assuming we can make suggestions for this here, yes? Very cool idea!

Can we get an option to show whether (as a registered player in this database) we are looking for a game currently (like maybe just a radio button in the profile options that is either "Looking for Games" or not)? I know that at some point I'm going to fill up on games and then get PM'd about a game and not be able to play (and be sad). This would cut that portion out of the rest of the guessing game.

If you REALLY wanted to get fancy, you could have this as its own page / section in the profile options and have the "Looking for games" be tied to each system a player is interested in. That way, let's say, I know Pathfinder but am not interested in playing it right now (but AM looking for Vampire the Masquerade) kind of thing.

I realize this option is WAY more complicated though (and can be "easily" bypassed by just sending the player a PM).

Obviously, there have been various threads aimed at doing this for certain game systems, showing that there's plenty of people who are interested in this kind of idea. So it seems pretty obvious that there's no question of whether or not this should happen, the only questions to be resolved involve implementation.
I like the idea of notification, though it could become overwhelming with more popular systems. It should probably be done so that notifications are a separate option from registering interest in a system, otherwise players will feel that registering interest in say, 3.5 or Pathfinder is unwise.

I can definitely dig this!

Will you be considering multiple categories? For instance, "Preferred Systems", "Familiar Systems" and "Looking to Learn" sort of thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
New User Profile Setting - Player Registry Game Systems
A user will be able to manage a list of systems he is interested in playing. This way, he will be counted as a player of a game system, and will be listed in the player registry section for that game system.
Could we also have a yes/no toggle to show only game ads that use one of the game systems listed in that new User Profile Settings? I'm not going to play D&D, but those take up the majority of the thread space; I'd like to see only game ads that I'm interested in playing.

I would leave the list of game systems to the left of the game ads, and clicking on it would do exactly what it currently does: show me the list of games for that system, even if it's not in my system's list. Just in case I want to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamanKarn View Post
... option to show whether (as a registered player in this database) we are looking for a game currently (like maybe just a radio button in the profile options that is either "Looking for Games" or not)? I know that at some point I'm going to fill up on games and then get PM'd about a game and not be able to play (and be sad). This would cut that portion out of the rest of the guessing game.
"Looking for games" be tied to each system a player is interested in.
+1

It's worked really well for the "Players of AD&D and Clones" thread.