Create-A-Villain Contest - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Create-A-Villain Contest

Create-A-Villain Contest

The results are in!
Please see the results post, here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthre...1#post10250711

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

...Except in D&D, where the villains of our stories are often cruel, without remorse, and ruthless in their pursuits. They will stop at nothing to get their way, be it the destruction of the world or to enslave every free people. They seek to bring darkness to every corner, every mind, and every heart.

But at their core, villains are people too. They have dreams, loves, aspirations, goals, friends, enemies, lives even. They're characters that often have well-defined reasons for doing the things they do, even if it's as simple as an evil God or Goddess told them what to do. They also have statistics that match their flavor, skills and abilities that make them singularly unique.

The goal of the contest is to create a high-quality villain, one that is both compelling and mechanically sound that will be featured in the Public Character Repository when it is ready.

How It Works

Create your villain as a Myth-Weavers character sheet. Once the Character Sheet Repository is released and the submission period starts, publish your villain to the repository.

Schedule

July 26 - July 31: Submission Period
August 1 - August 7: Community Voting
August 8: Winner Announced

The Rules

The villain must be a new, original character that hasn't already been published anywhere. It can be adapted from a character you personally have already made, but it must still be your own original work.

The character must be created using any official roleplaying game system that has been published by a company. House rules and third-party sources are still not allowed.

The character can have any race, level, class(es), templates, and so on. It can also be a monster, such as a Dragon, kobold, or other such creature. Ultimately, the character must have a completed Myth Weavers character sheet.

The character must have a portrait, physical description, personality description, and backstory including why the character is a villain as well as their ultimate goals, their motivations, and so on. There is no minimum or maximum word count for these sections.

The contest will run from July 1st to July 31st. Entries will be voted upon by the community. Voting will occur during the first week of August and a winner will be declared on August 8th. The winners will be contacted within 24 hours of that date via Private Message on Myth Weavers.

Entries must abide by all Myth Weavers rules, especially the Intellectual Property and PG-13 rules of the site. Myth Weavers staff reserve the right to disqualify any entry that breaks any rule of Myth Weavers.

Near the end of the contest period, the Myth-Weavers Character Sheet Repository will be released and all entries must be published to it.

One submission per entrant.

The contest is open to all entrants in any country, not just US residents.

Prizes

Grand Prize (1st Place): Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Player's Handbook. Valued at $50, this book is the primary book required to play or run any 5th Edition game. A physical copy will be mailed to the 1st place winner, happily donated by yours truly.

Other Prizes are still to be determined, and we will update once we know what the remaining prizes will be.

Please post here if you have any questions!

So how does a D&D4e villain work? The rules say the character needs a completed MW character sheet, but 4e doesn't use character sheets for villains (or, well, enemies. If you want me to make a villain PC, that's an entirely different issue). Instead, they just have a statblock with their appropriate powers and stats.

Second, what about portraits? Given the restriction on intellectual property, it can be hard to find good images that can be used without explicit permission.

Awesome idea, by the by. Have a villain I'd love to develop further, and this is a great opportunity.

So since these are villains, should we assume that they are to be built as NPCs (using CR instead of LA, NPC wealth tables, etc)?

I have an idea based on a villain I had to face in AD&D 1e. It was one of the more memorable encounters.

A D&D4e villain would work the same way as 3 or 3.5 or 5... A character sheet is a more complete version that a statblock can be generated from, but having the information laid out on a sheet has some integration benefits with the site (sheetrolls, autocalc, etc).

You can build the villain however you like, whether it's by the rules for a PC or the (really more) guidelines given for an NPC.

As to portraits, there are many stock photography and illustration sites like http://www.freeimages.com/ that have a large wealth of non-commercial images. Additionally, there are many sites that specifically deal in open game art assets, such as http://opengameart.org/ . Lastly, you're always free to illustrate, yourself, or to team up with an illustrator (Creative Corner or General Discussion are good places to find them) to come up with a portrait.

Can we enter more than once?

Does the villain have to be a world-ending threat or can a person who holds a town to ransom be enough?

If I win, can you send the book to Ireland? Or will that be an issue!?

In the same vein as omegoku, what is the limit on distance? Specifically, Zimbabwe. I will be in the UK by September, so if Zimbabwe's out I have alternatives.

What an awesome idea and why has it not been done before? I would have preferred to have made a hero so this begs the question will that ever be done as some sort of competition?

What are the rules when it comes to submitting a few things.

1. Submitting more than one submission.

2. Submitting a submission with more than one sheet (i.e A villain along with their henchmen).

You cannot enter more than one submission. It's better to only have one really good concept that you can focus on so you don't end up with two or more mediocre concepts. Remember, we're looking for a villain to be a "poster child" more or less for the new Public Character Repository.

We may do a create a hero contest in the future, but we'll see what happens.

As for distance, that's up to Rodrigo so I don't want to commit to anything right now.

The character can be any level of villain, from Duke of Nottingham levels of evil to world-ending Dragon.

I don't see a problem with submitting the henchmen to support a villain, as long as the entire thing is focused on the main villain themselves.

EDIT: Also, we've decided that submissions should be put in a separate thread so we can more easily keep track of them. That new thread is here: