State of Myth-Weavers, Community Supporter Accounts - One Year On - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

State of Myth-Weavers, Community Supporter Accounts - One Year On

State of Myth-Weavers, Community Supporter Accounts - One Year On

It’s been a great year

Exactly one year ago today I addressed the community, after a month of turbulence and site instability. That day, I'd hoped to allay fears, instill confidence for the future, and to inspire community members to invest in further development of Myth-Weavers.

Today, I address you having had an uptime of 99.95% over the past year.

With the aid of over 140 Community Supporters, our fabulous moderation and administrative staff, and diligent & enthusiastic community members, Myth-Weavers has had one of its best years yet.

The outpouring of support from this site’s members has been tremendous, and I really can’t thank you enough. The only thing I really know how to do is to look back at all we’ve accomplished, and look forward to all the things you’re making possible.

Let’s do that wibbly wobbly timey wimey thing and take a look back, shall we?

Alright… It’s time for the feats of strength!
No! No! turn it off! No feats of strength!

Despite the lack of an official Festivus celebration, we’ve made do with two different kinds of contests this past year. The first was our Word Play Contest, which had 22 applicants and some fantastic posts. In particular I’d like to mention our winners: cyle1979, Kirby, Vladim, and Kerim!

Our Create-A-Villain Contest, organized by Nathan, is in its voting period right now! We’ve got 24 great villains, and I’m excited to see the results of this one!

A Gallery of Heroes and Villains Alike
An early implementation of the Character Sheet Repository is now open! Though I’d wanted to have this ready for the Create-A-Villain Contest, some technical issues pushed it back a bit. It’s still rudimentary, and not very discoverable or documented, but it’s got a lot of potential. I’d like to thank everyone who participated in our RFC of sorts. Engaging with the community on feature conceptualization was very helpful.

Looking for Group…
Another feature from a community RFC, the Player Registry is taking form. Actually using it is going to take further restructuring of our Games & Ads section, and changes to how we help players and GMs to find each other. For now, though, you can mark that you’re part of the registry and actively open to new games by visiting your UserCP Options and mark what game systems you play from this page.

East? I thought you said Weast…
Although this feature is still very new, experimental, and not feature-complete, I think it’s usable enough at this point. Our Map Tool, lovingly nicknamed Project Mudkip (thanks to phiktional for the name!) is now usable by all members.

It’s the Final Countdown!
Last June, I released the first alpha of the new sheets system. Today, a little over a year later, I get to announce that we are entering the last phase of the switch - On Aug 21, any sheets that are in the Old Sheets System, that belong to an active Myth-Weavers member, will, if possible, be automatically converted into the new system. All sheets in the Old Sheets System will become read-only at this point. By September 1, I’ll convert all sheets remaining in the Old Sheets System into an archived form, and the old sheets code will be cleaned out and removed.

The new sheets system is still getting regular improvements - most recently the ability to import statblocks from our NPC Generator (though this seems to be a little hit and miss right now), full-page text editing for larger text blocks, a 'Trashed' section, where a list of deleted items can be reviewed and restored, and more!

Let’s make next year even better!

In February 21, or March 18, depending on when you like to start your counting, Myth-Weavers will be 10 Years Old!

I’d like to invite you to become a Community Supporter. With your support I know we can make this year even better than the last!

To mostly copy and paste my pitch from last year:

Myth-Weavers accepts financial contribution toward the site through a Community Supporter subscription at just $36 a year - the price of a coffee (~$3) each month. My pie-in-the-sky goal is to work for Myth-Weavers full time. While that may not be possible yet, every contribution helps, and every hour I don’t have to otherwise hustle making a living is an extra hour I can spend adding features, widening support for more game systems, fixing bugs, improving performance and stability, and working to grow the Myth-Weavers community.

By becoming a Community Supporter, you are directly funding further development of the site. For your support, you’ll get a few perks - ads will go away, for one, and you and your players (if you’re a GM) will get early access to the features you are making possible. Even more perks are in the brainstorming stage, but coming up with them is proving a little hard... we already provide for free what other PbP sites charge for!

You can make your contribution using either Stripe or Paypal - cards are accepted. Please contact me immediately if there is any sort of problem with a payment.

Become a Community Supporter

As always, Myth-Weavers is dedicated to providing our services and tools free of charge, and to having an egalitarian player base. We will never be a pay-only site. Community Supporters bear no special markings or icons denoting any sort of special status. We don't want to create an environment where some members would get preferential treatment in game ads, for example, and anything clearly visible would do that.

So what can we expect, then?

Here are a few of the new features and changes I’m actively working on.

Games
I’m rather close to being able to reveal the new games system, and will actually have another community discussion in regards to some details that are still being worked out. Look forward to: game info page creation; image, audio, and other file uploads for games; a customized game profile, and more!

I’ll also be revisiting the entire game advertisements system. Allowing off-site hybrid games was just the first step. I’d like to improve how game planning, advertising, and looking-for-group works for GMs and players alike, and I hope that the Player Registry and further changes can help.

Sheets! Everywhere!
As always, the new sheets system has really been about a big change in infrastructure. Last night, I laid down the last major part of that. All changes to sheets are stored as revisions, and very soon you’ll be able to travel through time, seeing the history of changes to your sheet.

Last night’s changes also mark a major milestone in the way that data is stored and retrieved for sheets. With that set in stone, I’m able to start integrating them in places and ways they’ve never been before. Stay tuned for integration with the map tool, and better integration with games and game threads.

I never thought 10 would look so old…
I’m still poking at redoing the forum style, and getting something more mobile friendly in place. With all of the other changes to the site, this has actually gotten easier. I think by our 10th birthday I’d like to freshen up our style.

Of course, this is really just the tip of the iceberg. I’ve got a full ‘lab’ with all sorts of ideas and proofs-of-concept for features and tools and improvements that I can’t wait to share with you all.

Thank you all for making this past year so fantastic, and for proving that the effort is well worth it

I did not even hesitate to contribute. I love the site and appreciate the hard work and effort to keep it going. Thank you.

Glad to be of assistance! Keep up the good work all.

The automatic renewal makes it easy...this is the time of year you should throw a donate more button up.

Whoa...10 years? My "birthdate" on here is March 29th of 2006...that has to put me near the top of the list for old-timers. Do we get cake?

In all seriousness though, the site is awesome. Keep up the great work!

Happy birthday and oh my, a Map Tool on the site? Guess I'm going to run a pathfinder game after all. Glad to see it becoming a feature.

This site remains spectacular. Thanks for everything, Rigo!

Happy "Birthday"! and I am glad I could help support, I enjoy the sight. No cake...? I am sure someone will be along soonish to offer cupcakes.