Cost to Create a Bag of Tricks - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Cost to Create a Bag of Tricks

Cost to Create a Bag of Tricks

Hi all!

Okay, I'm looking at the Bag of Tricks (Gray) and I'm trying to figure out how it costs 900 gp. Could someone help me understand what was applied from the Creating Magic Items rules? Essentially I want to create something similar, but use Summon Swarm as the spell.

Probably they used the "pull a price out of the bag (of tricks)" rule. The Bag of Tricks doesn't directly mimic any spell; the closest would probably be Summon Nature's Ally I, though SNAII is the one required to create it. A 1/day item of SNAI would have a cost of 360gp, so 10 uses per 7 days out to go up to just over 500gp. But then, the duration is 10 minutes rather than 1 round. And the range is shorter. Also it's random from a funky list, you don't get to choose - and the list isn't the same as the SNAI list, though it's probably comparable (bar the wolf).

If you want to create a swarm version, I'd just compare the animals summoned with the swarm you want to summon. A Rat or Bat swarm for example is CR 2, the same as 3/4 of the monsters on the Rust bag's list - and pricing it at above the grey bag seems like a good idea, because even being CR 2 swarms of any type can be a damn pain at low levels. All the Grey animals are CR 1/2 or lower, so I think even the Spider Swarm would be too much there (or pluck a figure out of the air somewhere in between - maybe ~2k?).

Note also the Pipe of the Sewers for comparison.

Sorry, what's the math to get a 1/day SNA1 item at 360 gp and a 10/week SNA2 at just over 500 gp?

If you work it as a command word, charges-per-day item, for a L1 spell at CL 1 you get 1800 x 1 x 1 / 5 = 360gp.

If that's 1/day, then 10/week is 10/7 days so ~43% more, one would imagine (actually, 10/week is better since it gives you more flexibility - you can use all in one day, for example - but it should be thereabouts).

SNAII is a L2 spell (so x2 cost) and would likely have a minimum CL of 3 (x3 cost) so would cost 6x as much. Actually, the Rust bag is very similar in price to 10/7 of a 1/day CL 3 item of SNAII, though that may just be coincidence.