Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Fluff

Thank you, Viktor. I had been told by several people that the game doesn't cover it at all, but I'm glad to hear I was misinformed.

EDIT: I'm really not digging this whole half-your-level modifier thing. I hate the idea of adventures getting better at everything simply by virtue of being adventurers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticCoaster View Post
EDIT: I'm really not digging this whole half-your-level modifier thing. I hate the idea of adventures getting better at everything simply by virtue of being adventurers.
Why would it be limited to adventurers? You can gain XP for non-combat encounters, it's safe to assume that using your abilities to overcome anything would earn your experience, albeit more slowly. So, the farmer who manages to trap predators would gain experience, as would the blacksmith who manages to create a item he's never made before. Hell, even a barmaid would earn experience by, oh, I don't know, avoiding the bar brawl that just broke out. All those people would add 1/2 of their level to their checks, which is a representation of 'life experience'

Plus nearly every skill is adventuring related now. The fluff skills are left for role-playing and usually don't require rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
Why would it be limited to adventurers?
Because class levels make you better at every skill.

Quote:
You can gain XP for non-combat encounters, it's safe to assume that using your abilities to overcome anything would earn your experience, albeit more slowly. So, the farmer who manages to trap predators would gain experience, as would the blacksmith who manages to create a item he's never made before. Hell, even a barmaid would earn experience by, oh, I don't know, avoiding the bar brawl that just broke out.
Yes, but unless you are gaining levels in a class, none of that matters.

Quote:
All those people would add 1/2 of their level to their checks, which is a representation of 'life experience'
Are there non-combat classes? I haven't read the DMG yet, so if there are NPC classes like there were in 3.5, that's awesome. So far all of the classes I've seen are adventurer classes, and all of them are defined by their role in combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firkraag View Post
Plus nearly every skill is adventuring related now.
Yes, and no matter what your class or your training, you get better at all of them. This is part of what I don't like. That and what seems to be the death of skill monkeys in general.

Quote:
The fluff skills are left for role-playing and usually don't require rolls.
Unless you use the stuff from page 42 of the DMG. I don't own the book, so I haven't gotten the chance to read it all yet (I've been reading it and Barnes and Noble), so I have to wonder if players get half of their level added to even these skill checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticCoaster View Post
Are there non-combat classes? I haven't read the DMG yet, so if there are NPC classes like there were in 3.5, that's awesome. So far all of the classes I've seen are adventurer classes, and all of them are defined by their role in combat.
There's none listed in the DMG. And the NPC creation rules are for combat situations.

But then, we know there are other books coming out with base classes still, there may yet be NPC classes which come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithobi1 View Post
Why do you need stats for an NPC that'll never see combat?
Well, you cant really guarantee that they wont see combat. A PC could attack them. Isnt that part of the fun, that the world isnt scripted like a MMO?

/I guess you cold use DM powers to make them never see combat, regardless of the PC actions.

NPCs aren't likely to be able to defend themselves against even a level 1 PC; level 1 PCs are already heroes. Thus, just make them effectively minions; 1 HP damage knocks them unconscious, and the PC that dealt it gets to decide whether they're dead or just unconscious.

Or all non-combat NPCs are minions... lets slaughter the tavern!

Heh, Ninja'd